Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's ZXR750 Build

Jim's ZXR750 Build

I'll say first off that this will most likely be a long build due to the usual restrictions of work, kids, wife, money, etc!

But in saying that I've managed to finish two builds on the same type of bike in recent years (1 road, 1 track) so I'm confident this one will get finished, sometime.

The bike I've decided to fighter is a 1994 ZXR750 L2, previously green, white and blue. My road bike is in similar colours so that can scratch the riding itch while the fighter is being built.

My plan for the bike is to keep the 750 motor stock and go nuts on the style. In the future I would like to throw a 900 into it for the rideability but for now the 750 will do.

Styling wise I have already got a mask headlight from MildersMasks in the UK which has set the scene for the build which I hope will include a MildersMasks front guard, belly pan, upswept seat unit and an Acewell dash blended into the tank. Paint scheme has already started with the headlight mask so gone try to follow that along the build.

I've attached some photos of the mountain I have to climb!

I'm always open to opinions, criticism and advice as this is my first build and I will most likely go wrong several times before its complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

ASF Premium Full Member
    Looks like your off to a good start with a solid plan

Nice
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Blog Entries
    Nice. Keep it coming mate!

Went to fit a ZX7R swinger I have (realise it's not much different but does away with the torque arm) only to find its missingn the inner sleeve!

New inner sleeve and bearings for that swinger to pay for now! On the plus side it's one thing that doesn't need any more work!

I think I have a spare one somewhere in the shed
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011

Mate; LEGEND!

Do you still have that good shock too? Will bring over those rearsets for you to try?

Yep got the shock in a tub. Sounds good

PM me your number again and I'll try to head over to yours by the weekend.

Decisions decisions!

Buy off the shelf or attempt to build full custom? That goes for the tail unit, front guard and belly pan.

With little experience of building bike parts from scratch with nothing more than forum threads and YouTube for guidance I have concerns I'll make a dogs dinner of it!

But on the other side it'll cost me $300 almost for the seat unit I want to be flier red and it'll still need modifying to fit!
    Last edited by JimZXR; 21-11-2014 at 02:14 PM.

what sort of tail unit?

I spotted a German style unit in the UK for £75 but they're quoting £95 for delivery! And with it being a standard item it'd need a lot of mods to make it fit and to fit the seat to it.

Thinking of hacking up a ZXR race tail unit I have to make that into what I want but need to do some more planning first.

Thats the go

Just picked up a set of Pirellia Diablo Rosso tyres, new 430 chain and M4 carbon can for $220 from the MCA sale!

Winner!
    Last edited by JimZXR; 24-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    would the chain be a 530? because 430 seems mighty small lol?

Weekend Warrior
    oh and you look like you have great ideas for the build, can't wait to see the rest of it!

Ah, yes 530! Pudding fingers on iPhone!

Finally got a rolling chassis together!

Small step maybe but it gives me chance to look at the bike on its wheels rather than just stands. Big thanks to Yella for the swingarm and shock.

Next step is the tail unit I think and I've been told Santa may have an Acewell dash for me and just possibly some time for my tank with Ben at ExtremeCreations for a recessed mount.
    Last edited by JimZXR; 24-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3605 small.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	6254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3606 small.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	6255

Bought moulding foam today so gonna have a crack at making my own seat unit; not sure how this one will end but suppose it's worth a try!

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast