Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build a deathtrap in only nine weeks..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

How to build a deathtrap in only nine weeks..

This thread is going to be different because it is going to begin with a completed build, well when i say completed I mean completed for the purpose of a bike show. There is still a lot of cool things yet to come for this motorcycle but i only had nine weeks to build it so my focus was to get it more ridable than blingy for the show. Perhaps i should've gone for bling because it didn't win shit..
    So its an 84 rz350 motor
    4130 chromoly frame and swing arm
    all aluminium uni-body tank and seat
    107kg dry weight..
    Everything you see here has been hand made by one person in 9 weeks whilst working full time.

That's absolutely insane!

Wow!

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    I can't stop staring at it, amazing work mate, how much weight will the seat hold?

Blog Entries
    Indian amount of work in nine weeks

Quote Originally Posted by rod185651 View Post
    I can't stop staring at it, amazing work mate, how much weight will the seat hold?
    It holds my weight Im 125kg.

A lot of people keep asking me that and it will be easier to understand when i put the build pics up.
    It has a tubular spine that runs through the tank that you cant see that is hardbacked to the base of the tank and welded directly to the mount point inside the tank.

I am not mad

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post

I am not mad
    Yes you are brother.... We all are, that is why we always greet newcomers "Welcome to the Madness"

Love the build mate, looks freakin awesome

some cunt made me come here to look at this...

sure is interesting.

What a wicked build, Love it Azreal. Very cool custom work has been done to that thing for a 9 week build.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Cooool.

Blog Entries
    Still amazed by it mate, and I saw the build photos. How high is the seat height? It looks mighty tall in the photos. There's no photos of anyone sat on it to get an idea.

The frame and swingarm are outstanding mate! Skills I will never possess.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Needs a Flaming Brick painted on the tank or tail!!!

Awesome work dude

Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Still amazed by it mate, and I saw the build photos. How high is the seat height? It looks mighty tall in the photos. There's no photos of anyone sat on it to get an idea.

The frame and swingarm are outstanding mate! Skills I will never possess.
    The seat height is standard 800mm same as the aprilia rs250 although it looks exaggerated by the lack of excess shit between the seat and the rear wheel. The seat is kicked up a little and rises about an inch over the 800mm height at the front of the seat to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    some cunt made me come here to look at this...

sure is interesting.
    Glad u like it!

Quote Originally Posted by latheboy View Post
    Needs a Flaming Brick painted on the tank or tail!!!

Awesome work dude
    This still needs a fuckton of work to get it to the track but yeah flaming brick could be on the cards.

I should also point out that it was not my intention to ride this bike, i built it for a competition but also to see how wild and lightweight i could make a trackbike. I entered it under modern cafe racer but was aiming more at racer than hipster wagon. I have a rider for it when it does hit the track who is a former IOM champion and understands how to push a 2 stroker around a track.
    What you are looking at is the show bike, what happens next its its transform into a track bike.

ASF Premium Full Member
    That is fucking brilliant.
    Was talking to a guy that builds a lot of hipster cafe racers. Who also races.
    it started to piss him off that people focused on cafe, and forgot the racer.

love it.
    more titanium than my bike

aewome smoker it looks insane and be a lot of fun to ride

ASF Premium Full Member
    Cleaver fucker, love it

Ok so im not really sure how to start this but it kinda happened when a good friend of mine sent me a link to a bike build off for an event called the West Coast Lowdown. This is kind of a hotrod tattoo biker rockabilly thing that has previously been an underground event held by a guy called Irish Jardine who wanted to bring his event into the light and get some more exposure for the Kustom Kulture lifestyle and try to promote clubs, cars bikes etc. Really cool idea, i have many old cars and love the tattoo and hotrod culture as much as i love bikes.

So the at this point it was about 11 weeks out from the show date and i wasnt sure if i could make the deadline on a frame up build on anything with a swingarm so i was thinking ridgid chop until i read the rules which can be found here https://www.westcoastlowdown.com.au/bike-build-off/

The main thing being not exceeding a budget of 10k and you have to do every part of the build yourself without help from any outsiders right down to final assembly. I have my doubts how many people took any of these rules seriously but i followed them because I wanted to see if I could accomplish this in the time provided.

So, i had a quick look around the 30 odd bikes i have layin around and also put the word out on Facecunt if anyone had anything suitable to turn into a cafe racer. I chose this bike genre because I have a deep seeded hate for hipster cunts who cut the tabs off an old bike, put a cafe hump on it and some numbers and call it a custom bike. This is a build off, in my angry, alcofueled and often unstable mind means you need to build a motorcycle. Not change some shit and paint it, that is a paint off.

So I had many offers of various bikes and nothing really appealed to me and then it dawned on me that buried under a pile of other motorcycles and accumulated shit was an RZ350 a friend of mine bought 9 years ago to build a custom cafe racer. I msged him and asked if i could begin the molestation and he was down with that and so was I because i had amassed a bunch of parts for this build over the last 9 years and had nearly everything i needed to get it done.

At this point i was 10 weeks out and i had a plan, i needed to build a cafe racer that would be entirely hand made, weigh as little as possible and go like a cut cat. That's what RZ's do so all i had to do was build it.

I submitted my build off application and began the task of clearing the frame jig and surrounding shed space to accommodate the shit i spread everywhere when i build things.

So i started with some brass to make headstem bushes

Turned them up

Pressed them into some 4130 tube and made this badboy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast