Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Get the Forum back to where it belongs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sen View Post
    Hey Si,

FWIW i'm definitely back now. Moved to Melbourne, got proper net, and kid started kindy 3 days a week so I actually get time to do stuff. Also after one more surgery in January I should even be able to ride again!! So will be keen to get back into it and do what I do best: buy someone elses hard work from here because i'm mechanically incompetent lol. I love this forum, so I'm super keen to help out however I can, whether it's to update the existing vB install and do some cached/CDN'd attachments, or upgrade to Discourse. I hate how many forums are dying and this one is special to me. I don't want it to die.

One of the reasons I was recommending Discourse is it runs in a Docker container, full self contained, self updates, and self manages (eg it has test/update scripts that automatically handle all updates, roll back if something failed, handle backups, etc).. and it's open source, made by Jeff Atwood (eg he made Stack Exchange, Ghost, and more). So even if I disappear again, it'll be MUCH easier for you to update/manage/etc.

But, the main point, it can host all the images in AWS, which is DIRT cheap even if this forum grew to 10x the size, and exportable if we ever wanna move the pics (no more photofucket style collapses).

If you make your own dedicated image host, you're taking on a whole new site of responsibilities. Another site, database, scripts, security updates, people abusing it, etc. I'd highly recommend not doing that, and just go vB attachments, or Discourse with attachments on AWS.

It also has social integration built in, so we can integrate to FB/etc and keep pulling people over here, while satisfying those that live inside the borg-world of FB. Oh and it's mobile-native. No apps, no plugins, not some stripped down version. People can even attach pics and shit from their phones directly just using the standard phone browser (works on all modern phones).

If you want, in a couple weeks I can grab a copy of the DB here, setup an instance of Discourse on my own server, import all the users/posts/data, and we can have a play and see if we can get it to a point where you like it. If so, it's a simple matter of moving the Docker container over to your server (or a better/newer one now they're so much cheaper, my other goal here is to optimise the setup and save you some running costs), and change the DNS to point to it and it'd be done overnight. No one should need to re-sign up or anything like that.

Stuff got a lot lot easier since we last did this adventure! (That was a lot to type drunk).
    I'm interested in the Discourse thing Sen (and Andy says it's great). What is the deal with it though? I tried looking at the website and it seems because of the Container that they want you to host with them as well. Is that the only option?

Even if we went the Vbulletin update and we had Cpanel on the server I could probably take over control without any issue, it's more the command line stuff I struggle with. Like driving a car with a bag in your head.

How much storage does Amazon offer and at what cost? I have been dabbling with being a Gsuite re-seller and they give 30Gb storage with that.

I understand about the own server thing, but I am currently trying to set up a VPS for my business so I would have it there anyway. ....which also, if you have any suggestions I would appreciate. (Trying Digital Pacific for Linux and Micron21 for Windows - tried A2 but the Singapore connection made all y sites slow - plus I was only using re-seller (shared) there rather than VPS which was probably my fault.)

So my theory of uploading the images to the forum in a Facebook fashion and then linking Facebook to the forum rather than the other way around would work also?

So better and cheaper that Linode? Again this might also help with my own business server situation?

I'm loving the enthusiasm and support mate. Thanks heaps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    You sir are a abosute legend
    You're not wrong mate...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyrider View Post
    yeah, yeah, what he said.
    Tangent time:

What's Mġarr ix-Xini in Gozo really like mate?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Tangent time:

What's Mġarr ix-Xini in Gozo really like mate?
    Wait, what now?? You going to Gozo or know someone heading there? The bay at Mgarr is nice, clear water. As long as you don't head there in August Gozo is beautiful and peaceful.

Blog Entries
    Wait, what now?? You going to Gozo or know someone heading there? The bay at Mgarr is nice, clear water. As long as you don't head there in August Gozo is beautiful and peaceful.
    Let me guess, August is the best time of year for weather? No plans, just curious after watching something.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    Let me guess, August is the best time of year for weather? No plans, just curious after watching something.
    Thought you were French wacky .

And get fucked Nudie.

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    How cool is it to log in and not see "no new posts since your last visit"

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    This thread could easily blow out to "Shut up Nudie" instead of nerd forum hosting talk haha

The internet shits me as a whole.

Facebook
    instagram
    photofucket
    the next cool media site
    bla bla bla

You have to be signed up to 10 different social media sites to keep up with what's happening, it's fucked cause it's all the same shit just on a different platform.
    So I just go to Forums for my info, sift through the crap and hope to find what I need.

I have even considered deleting myself off the internet, there are few places left for drunken shit posting anymore without someone causing a flood with tears.

Whatever you do Si, the crew here will be in support of the changes be it big or not.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    all Summer will be great for weather. 15th Aug is the feast of St Maria which means long weekend public holiday, which means heaps of parties and loads of youngsters there off their heads.

Depends what you want.

You need to look up Blue Lagoon in Comino then, thats the really small island (ironic I know) - there's actually Filfla which is even smaller. Blue Lagoon is amazing and crystal clear water, but nowadays packed with boats etc..

Weekend Warrior
    Yea, I hear what you are saying mate. The loss of memberships would really hit hard, but that is the dilemma I have: Keep the existing VBulletin Forum and update it to the latest version and keep the members, or, move to the latest and greatest forum that interacts with social media, uploads photos right from your phone like Facebook and has all the other bells and whistles to appeal to the masses, but then lose all the memberships and hope people rejoin or sign up.
    I'm admin on Patrol4x4.com (as 'Squalo') and we are on a fairly old vBulletin revision; I did some research on the vBulletin forums (yep a forum for forums ) and it seems the later revisions have some issues and functionality changes that mean it can be better to stick to an older version.

We too face the same questions and issues as you. But we're owned by AutoGuide in Canada so money is not an issue... and AG to their credit allow us to run the forum as we like, and have not imposed any conditions at all since they bought it in 2013 or so.

There's an unofficial Patrol4x4 FB group that a few guys started up when our forum was hit by a virus, and if anything it has actually helped grow our forum, as members of the FB group regularly point people to the forum for tech info.

I visit ASF every day or two, and will keep coming back. This is a cool place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rod185651 View Post
    How cool is it to log in and not see "no new posts since your last visit"
    Yes. Very Yes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by latheboy View Post
    This thread could easily blow out to "Shut up Nudie" instead of nerd forum hosting talk haha

The internet shits me as a whole.

Facebook
    instagram
    photofucket
    the next cool media site
    bla bla bla

You have to be signed up to 10 different social media sites to keep up with what's happening, it's fucked cause it's all the same shit just on a different platform.
    So I just go to Forums for my info, sift through the crap and hope to find what I need.

I have even considered deleting myself off the internet, there are few places left for drunken shit posting anymore without someone causing a flood with tears.

Whatever you do Si, the crew here will be in support of the changes be it big or not.
    I thought Douglas was deleting yourself off the net?
    If you have kids (that were born after the net was everywhere and have grown up with it) or have to put up with their shit, you will know that each social media site is pigeon holed by their generation and it goes something like this:

Facebook - Old people shit
    Instagram - Cool people (AKA - dumb arses that can't write and love taking photos of themselves)
    Snapchat - Best ever (because you can take a photo and add ears to yourself - in other words very, very bored people and kids - oh and people taking photos of dicks top send to girls they fancy)
    Twitter - What's that? (AKA - Old people that want to be heard as they are so important, or celebrity stalkers / fanboys)
    ALL of them - want to sell you something and control your life.

In other words - a bunch of bullshit.

Yea, getting the old crew back in would be a laugh. You-lot's energy is rubbing off on me and I'm keen to get this happening again.

Blog Entries
    all Summer will be great for weather. 15th Aug is the feast of St Maria which means long weekend public holiday, which means heaps of parties and loads of youngsters there off their heads.

Depends what you want.

You need to look up Blue Lagoon in Comino then, thats the really small island (ironic I know) - there's actually Filfla which is even smaller. Blue Lagoon is amazing and crystal clear water, but nowadays packed with boats etc..
    Holy shit, that looks mad: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=B...w=1920&bih=984

I went to Malta in 1981, so hence I can't rememebr shit about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    I'm admin on Patrol4x4.com (as 'Squalo') and we are on a fairly old vBulletin revision; I did some research on the vBulletin forums (yep a forum for forums ) and it seems the later revisions have some issues and functionality changes that mean it can be better to stick to an older version.

We too face the same questions and issues as you. But we're owned by AutoGuide in Canada so money is not an issue... and AG to their credit allow us to run the forum as we like, and have not imposed any conditions at all since they bought it in 2013 or so.

There's an unofficial Patrol4x4 FB group that a few guys started up when our forum was hit by a virus, and if anything it has actually helped grow our forum, as members of the FB group regularly point people to the forum for tech info.

I visit ASF every day or two, and will keep coming back. This is a cool place.
    Interesting. I'm guessing something less niche like Patrols still drums up some big numbers hey? Must do if the forum sold to an overseas investor.

First we blamed Jacktar. Now Nudie has to shut up. I feel another trend coming on. (Lol sorry Nudie)

Weekend Warrior
    Interesting. I'm guessing something less niche like Patrols still drums up some big numbers hey? Must do if the forum sold to an overseas investor.
    35k members when it sold - nearly 65k now. Double the membership in 3-4 years. For a while we were the second biggest 4x4 forum on the net, only Pirate4x4 was bigger - that's before AG bought it.

So Autoguide did pretty well to buy us. They own over 400 automotive websites and seriously you could probably do well selling this site to them - like I said, they have left us alone to run it as we see fit, but are instantly on the case if we have issues or questions... can't ask for more than that.

Have you talked to CK173? He's on the case with CustomFighters... I received an email from there this week for the first time - some post updates, some advertising. Nice innovation and I'm considering doing the same with Patrol4x4.com
    Last edited by The Phantom; 04-10-2017 at 02:52 PM.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaselman View Post
    First we blamed Jacktar. Now Nudie has to shut up. I feel another trend coming on. (Lol sorry Nudie)
    At last, the attention I crave!
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Shut up

Weekend Warrior
    Briz, or where ever fate takes me. Australia.
    I've just read this. I haven't been on this site for along time.
    That's not due to facebook.....I'm not a member, and will never be. Not my thing, plus I've got own views on that particular sect....
    Anyway, life, just gets in the way of life, so that's why I haven't been on.
    I'm a forum kind of person, and don't want to see it change, but you've pointed out some up hill battles, that I hope you can over come.
    I always want to hang around here if possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    35k members when it sold - nearly 65k now. Double the membership in 3-4 years. For a while we were the second biggest 4x4 forum on the net, only Pirate4x4 was bigger - that's before AG bought it.

So Autoguide did pretty well to buy us. They own over 400 automotive websites and seriously you could probably do well selling this site to them - like I said, they have left us alone to run it as we see fit, but are instantly on the case if we have issues or questions... can't ask for more than that.

Have you talked to CK173? He's on the case with CustomFighters... I received an email from there this week for the first time - some post updates, some advertising. Nice innovation and I'm considering doing the same with Patrol4x4.com
    Yea, I already have plans for a newsletter etc when we get the forum working right again. No point inviting people here at the moment as it doesn't work for a lot of people. I'm not planning on selling this place before you ask, but curiosity is killing me - what did they pay for the forum?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast