Thread: GSX1400 Camshafts

ASF Basic Full Member

GSX1400 Camshafts

I'm told the cams in the GSX 1400 have very small valve lifts, which robs top end, so I'm thinking a regrind, as I cannot find much in the way of performance cams available for this motor, Yoshi has cams but they are a bit expensive, can anyone recommend someone for the job? or another alternative. (besides supercharging).

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Swop intake to exhaust, get a weld and grind from Tighes for the intake?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    There have been some stories about tighe cams in recent years,
    You can try waggot down south. Last time I checked it was over $70
    a lobe for build up regrind. On 4 valve heads the price difference
    really closes up to after market. Pipes, yoshi cams and air cleaner
    I hear is a easy 135 at the wheel and really liven these things up.
    Tho I have little to no knowledge other than the dreaded inter wanks of the net....

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    All of the weld and grind cams are going to have the same issue - inclusions. I've been running a set in my car for ages (done 10 years ago), the first set that I had in my kat were fine (were done ~8 years ago), but the older second hand set that came from ProKat down in Murwillumbah suffered a failure that looks suspiciously like an inclusion dropped out (Full disclosure - bike suffered a crank roller bearing failure, cam failure and follower failure all at the same time - there was so much shit everywhere that it's hard to know what failed first - may have been the crank failure led to shit blocking the cam follower oil feeds). It's luck of the draw I guess unless you wanna cough up for X-ray/magnaflux/eddy current inspection.

Piper in the UK do a GXS1400 cam, Web Cams in the US will do a set too I believe.

Blog Entries
    You getting into Joe's GSX already?

Blog Entries
    If I had to pick web cams are at the top of my list every time

ASF Basic Full Member
    Yeah Si, he's keen to do something soon but he's on a tight budget, I'm told the cams and Pipes are the biggest blockage in the system and it only has 9.5:1 compression, He would also need a power commander to deal with the fuel, so if I had my way I'd address all four things, but I don't think he can afford to.
    Thanks Ozzy and GammaBoy, I was thinking Waggot because they are close to Joe's place and I've used them before.
    I'll check out the valve timing and lift on the standard intake to swop over to exhaust if budget is too tight.
    Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharger_Mark View Post
    Yeah Si, he's keen to do something soon but he's on a tight budget, I'm told the cams and Pipes are the biggest blockage in the system and it only has 9.5:1 compression, He would also need a power commander to deal with the fuel, so if I had my way I'd address all four things, but I don't think he can afford to.
    Thanks Ozzy and GammaBoy, I was thinking Waggot because they are close to Joe's place and I've used them before.
    I'll check out the valve timing and lift on the standard intake to swop over to exhaust if budget is too tight.
    Cheers.
    Mark I spoke to a bloke today that had waggot do some gsx1400 cams
    The price was more than reasonable, he was very impressed with quality
    and perforce.... a happy boy