Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new from country NSW

new from country NSW

Hi guys, I'm a learner rider from country NSW, Tamworth if you care.

I have a great interest in Honda VFRs and its thanks to Hooligans' VFR that I stumbled on Aussie Streetfighters. When I get my full licence, I'd really love to convert a '98 - 01 VFR (pre VTEC) to a "Streetfighter" or Naked if I'm specific. Not a huge fan of the high rise tail of the Streetfighter style, but they're still basically naked bikes, so there's a great deal of useful info on here.

The main problem I've been looking to solve for future reference, is the ridiculous side mounted radiators that plagued the VFR and various other Hondas of this era. I've been looking for front mounted radiator solutions, but had not seen any for the 98 VFR. Although Google didn't reveal Hooligan's solution to me, I'm glad I went through his build thread to discover his solution. Although he has stated that the chosen radiator still doesn't quite cover the cooling requirements, it does confirm my idea would have worked to a degree. Another option might be to try and mount the radiators from the newest VFR which has gone back to front mounted, albeit twin, radiators. They might only be used on the US "Interceptor" model though.

Ugh, but I digress. This is supposed to be an introduction post, my apologies.

Cheers people, fight safe!

Blog Entries
    Hi mate - Welcome aboard. Yep, that has been the number one thing that people complain and try and fix up first with the VFR. Glad you found Chris' (Hooligan) and maybe you should also check out our other resident VFR owner's bike (the first biek in this topic as featured on the cover of Streetfighters Magazine):

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...9832-Honda-VFR

There's a few more in there as well you might like.

I'm sure Scott and Chris will be through soon to say hello.

Blog Entries
    ... and here's Scott's bike after he fitted the straight bars instead (it's current look): http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...o-s-VFR750-2.0

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome

Weekend Warrior
    Welcome mate, I'm pretty keen on VFRs too.

If you don't want to have to deal with side mounted rads get a 90-97. But as much as I love those old girls I'll be honest, if I was buying now I'd also go 98-01, because FI with a Powercommander is soooo much easier than carbs. And when you SF a 5th Gen they go from fugly to beautiful.

Hello PIK, from what I read of your post, you are very well spoken. "I digress", LOL.
    Welcome mate and hope you enjoy the pages within!
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Gix11, I checked out Scott's build. Its not my style, but man its well done! About to head back there and put in my 2c now. Cheers everyone, I shall now digress to the aforementioned thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    ... and here's Scott's bike after he fitted the straight bars instead (it's current look): http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...o-s-VFR750-2.0
    Hey thanks for the link. I just replied to that thread not realising it was from 2013. Sorry to necro :/

Blog Entries
    It's all good mate. Scott will pop his head in soon.

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    Welcome.
    Honda's are gay just to clear that up.
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Welcome.
    Honda's are gay just to clear that up.
    LOL Cheers

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    I wonder how many Aussies Chris "hooligan" has influenced to build a fighter from his 7/11 to now his VFR.

Welcome mate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	7970This is Nudies old bike which i purchased,vtr has a custom front Rad.not cheap as i found out,after stuffing mine up ,around $800
    Last edited by erno; 13-04-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: no words

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rod185651 View Post
    I wonder how many Aussies Chris "hooligan" has influenced to build a fighter from his 7/11 to now his VFR.

Welcome mate
    just bearded weirdos who used to hang around bondi, numbers.
    An hi, Pik.

The TL1000R top rad was awesome in terms of cooling, just ugly.
    The custom one i had made works at track speeds, but is pretty shit at traffic speeds. But looks heaps better, and doesn't get damaged when the bike falls off the side stand. Ahem.

Sebspeed has mounted a 750 rad and a 10 row oil cooler to his new 5th gen buildoff project on customfighters.

I'm thinking about changing my SP1 oil cooler to a 10 row to compensate for the smaller custom rad I'm using.
    more titanium than my bike

Hey hooligan who made your Rad ,cant find anybody in Alb/Wod that will take it on

ASF Premium Full Member
    http://raceradiators.com.au/

its shit at traffic speeds because its a 42mm core. It needs serious airflow before its effective.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    welcome mate i havent been around for awhile but im in gunny ..if you need anything

Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    just bearded weirdos who used to hang around bondi, numbers.
    An hi, Pik.

The TL1000R top rad was awesome in terms of cooling, just ugly.
    The custom one i had made works at track speeds, but is pretty shit at traffic speeds. But looks heaps better, and doesn't get damaged when the bike falls off the side stand. Ahem.

Sebspeed has mounted a 750 rad and a 10 row oil cooler to his new 5th gen buildoff project on customfighters.

I'm thinking about changing my SP1 oil cooler to a 10 row to compensate for the smaller custom rad I'm using.
    Hi Hooligan, thanks for the reply.

Its a shame that your radiator isn't good at traffic speeds. They are a race rad maker though, so I suppose its for lightness?

I've been wondering about the 750 models and their single radiator. Does the extra ±50cc really add that much stress to the cooling system that it justifies two rads? Clearly something is going on, I'm just surprised 750s don't overheat also. I think I said in my initial post that the newest gen vfr800 uses a stacked front mount radiator set up, but it doesn't look like there's enough room to do that on the gen 5. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the newest one has the same internal design as the vfr1200 which, according to Honda, gives that engine smaller external dimensions than the older VFR engines.

Thanks again, and sorry for the late reply. Kinda forgot about this post. Oh, in other news I got my PS last week. Only fifty weeks to go and I can finally buy a bloody VFR.

Cheers!

Weekend Warrior
    Honda went to dual side mounted radiators for the VFR800 because they wanted to shorten the wheelbase (it's 15mm shorter than the 750, and feels it too - quicker turn-in).

Congrats on P's mate! Enjoy, and stay safe.

ASF Premium Full Member
    congrats on the P's, Pik.
    Phantom knows his vfrs.

I've got a 10 row oil cooler on the way to help with the radiator out a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast