Thread: Riding a bike finally

Weekend Warrior

Cool Riding a bike finally

Hi Guys,

I have not been on here for quite some time.
    A number of you will know me for my little open wheel race car (GSXR1100 powered).
    Here is a recent vid for those interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPwpvuZ5t4Y

Well I have decided to finally have a go on 2 wheels. The ultimate aim to join my son James on a few track days.

I am starting off on James old (but very good) CBR250RR as I need to run Ls and Ps on the road for a while.

I am currently looking around at protection gear.
    I am thinking 2 piece leathers to give me a bit of practicality on the road and also the ability to put my toe in the water at the track.

Has anyone in experience with BGA stuff? I looks reasonable and the price seems good for something that is as good as made to order. I have short arse legs and a bit of a gut these days so OTS stuff is a real compromise.

Any clues on what I should look for? Clearly, I do not want to break the bank in case I decide that this 2 wheel stuff is not for me.

Cheers

Peter.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Peter, two-piece for the road for sure - a one-piece is a PITA. Been there done that.

Make sure that whatever you choose has the ability to be zipped together for track use, otherwise you may not be allowed to use it.

There's people out there who can modify leathers, so used kit is a viable option. I used to know a mad Russian chick in Sydney who was a gun at modifying leathers, I'll see if I can find her.

Budget for a back protector. Don't go to the track without one.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Phantom,

Thanks for that.
    The suits I have looked at all have a flexible spine protector. Do I need to go for the full on, strap on style back protector? My understanding is that you need the fastening point at the top of your suit/jacket to stop these sliding down.

As for zips, I am looking for a full full circumferential zip and a good quality one at that so it is track legal and less likely to burst.

FYI BGA=Bikers Gear Australia for those that do not know of them.

Peter.

Weekend Warrior
    Found her - Irena, she would know me as Murray from OzVFR. Worth getting in touch with even just to ask some questions.

https://www.ozmcleathers.com/

To be honest I haven't looked at leathers for years so not sure what they pack these days as far as back protection. Mine is a Dainese strap on job.

Have no experience with BGA. Ask Irena if they are any good.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks.

Will follow up.

Cheers