Thread: Want to reduce wheelspin

ASF Gold Full Member

Want to reduce wheelspin

I'm loving dragging my busa at WSID, but Im getting a heap o wheelspin off the line. I've dropped the rear tyre pressure to about 25psi and took a couple of clicks of rebound out of the rear shock. It's stock height and length because I still love riding on the road.
    Is there any more ways to adjust the suspension settings for just the strip without replacing shock etc, that will take the fun out of road riding?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    What tyre are you running. I actually got another wheel and put a shinko on it for the drags. It didn't make a lot of difference, nothing does when you have the RT of a sleeping wino.

ASF Gold Full Member
    I've got a Pirelli Angel GT on it at the moment. They're a bit hard in the centre, so a softer tyre would definitely help I guess. That's a good idea to get another wheel!
    I'm a big fat cunt so I'm not expecting miracles on the strip, but I'm just trying to work the bugs out one at a time.
    Bloody addictive fun isn't it
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Blog Entries
    Shinko 003 180 stretched out on the 6" rim has always been a staple

Yeah, Josh is going to let me use his bike at the next meet here in March, that'll be fun.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Buy some straps for the front end mate , lowers the front for the drags rip them off for the street.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yep got straps, allows me to launch harder but I'm getting a heap o spin off the line as a result. Going to try a softer rear tyre next.
    Wondering if softening the rear compression will help? I don't want to get all carried away with too much that makes the street riding less fun, just little things that are quick to change back.

Aren't you supposed to make the arse end hard so it doesn't squat ?

ASF Gold Full Member
    I dunno! I'm grasping at straws here

You want enough squat in the rear to help tire bite (lite spring comp lite comp with firm rebound to stop hop) with weight transfer and drop the front to get weight lower so its less likely to lift to far , Lots of revs fan the clutch to moderate power not the throttle till your hard on and looking for the next cog.

Is why BUSA's eat clutches at the drags , do words with Ian. A clutch upgrade is just about a must for the BUS and regular drag racing..... If you don't want to eat clutches stick with a road set up and wheel spin to save the clutch.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yeah I read about Yella's dramas with the clutch. If a bit of spin off the line can save my clutch, I can live with that. It is after all my street bike and compromises have to be made.
    I do give the clutch a hard time now and then on the road *wink*

120 killa wasps give or take , Fat ass bike , bigger than average unit running the show all through a matchbox of rubber and a chain . Something has to slip or shit will just get fucked up, tyres are cheap and easy to swap clutches are not so much harder but tend to chatter and give issue long term.

Once you go to sticky (drag) rubber the clutch is going to think your a cunt ....

Drop tyre pressure down more set it about 18-20 cold
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yella View Post
    Drop tyre pressure down more set it about 18-20 cold
    Shit I thought 25 was low!

At stock length you should be right by 22 but can go down lower. I am normally good by 18 but have been down to 15 some days
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

ASF Gold Full Member
    Ahh OK thanks Yella, I'll give it a try on Thursday. Will you be there?