Thread: newbie Melbourne

newbie Melbourne

greetings all,
    thought id dive in here and say hi.
    will be getting more involved as the cbr1000rr takes shape and i no doubt F**k up something!! and need help.
    regards for now,
    Chris.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Welcome to the madhouse

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Hello,

we don't read gud so post pics

Blog Entries
    Yea, welcome aboard mate.
    What style are you going for with the CBR? Those new ones are tougher to do because of the frame, but I do remember this one kicking around a little while back:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1424608742205372844.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	7868

That was an off the shelf kit as well! Bolt on replacement parts without the effort.

Actually, I just revisited that one and saw it was a crowd funded thing that never made it. At US$3000 a kit I can kind of see why. You could do it much cheaper than that.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...torcycle-kit#/

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome,
    I tried and tried like even tracked the dude down while I was in the states teaching, I WANTED that kit... Cept for the bars, 56, a buggered back, no clippys for me!
    The kit never made it, the prototype still exists but they want 25k for the bike complete.
    So, no lazy short cuts for me!
    Basically picked up an 08 cbr, dressed in Chinese plastics that don't fit, 15000 kms, 5 grand.
    I'm used to the uk rules so the prospect of building a fighter here the way I'm used to was daunting to say the least.
    So first bike here was just a slightly messed with 04 z1000 (featured in rapid in 06 same issue as "the judge")
    This time I've got my head around the regs.
    I'll post some pics as it gets interesting.
    Obviously the Chinese plastics are outta here!
    (I reckon the bike actually sighed with relief as the gaffer tape that held it all together was stripped off)
    I like the tail unit so it's getting left alone.
    Abm kit is on, top yolk, bars, etc.
    Just starting wiring while I wait for mask from euro art, (wanted milders but he's gone).
    Belly pan, again euro art,, acerbis tail tidy.
    Just got an issue with intake. With ram tubes on she's good as gold 165 bhp at 11k, remove tubes and gutless as.
    I'm hoping a remap will fix it but I have a bit of a theory that the lack of "guidance" for the air as there is a gap between the frame and air box rubber is causing a vortex that is affecting airflow into the box.
    Gonna experiment with the old tubes cut em off so they fill the gap between frame and box try that, if it works then I'll make up some nicer looking ones.
    Not used to all these bloody computers though!!
    My uk efforts were always older carby bikes, couple of z9s and a gs1000s.
    It took me 2 days to work out the reason the cbr wouldn't start was hanging down by the fork leg with "up" written on it...yep..the tilt sensor!!..who knew?, apparently everyone but me!
    I'm gonna shut up now..
    I'll post a running report somewhere else when I work out where it should go.
    Regards,
    Chris.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff and welcome

Blog Entries
    Brilliant start mate! Sounds like you know what you are doing so this should be a great build. I'm like you with the new stuff mate, still running my old '89 Gix 11 so I'm a bit behind the times.

For build threads, you personally have 2 choices as you are a full member. You can either add them here where only the full members can access and comment etc (good if you want to keep location, rego, etc hidden from the masses and any other eyes you don;t want seeing it) or just in the main area where any Tom, Dick or Harry can see it.

Here's the two links to each:

Members ONLY (Hondas): http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-S-RIDES-HONDA

Anyone: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...fighter-Builds

welcome aboard mate

ASF Standard Full Member chinski's Avatar
    Keen to see your '08 progress ! I remember every journo was loving them when they came out hey !! that kit looks like it would've been cool, just add high bars i agree ! Cheers mate, looking forward to seeing some pics

Welcome mate.

Good to see a few new members around and a few build threads going again

Weekend Warrior
    Welcome Chris.

Ram air is pretty complicated. A couple of mates of mine were running a 1995 VFR750 as a track bike and they set up a ram air system from the fake intakes at the indicators, feeding the airbox where the snorkel usually sits. It bogged down at 150km/h down the shute at Eastern Creek; before the ram air experiment it was pulling 200.

Then you pull it off a bike that has it from factory - like a ZX-9R - and you get what you're experiencing.

The carb/FI balance tubes are the key. They equalise the pressure at the carbs/FI so that the carbs/FI can manage the air volume coming in from the airbox.

Have a read of this: http://www.sportrider.com/ram-air-whats-it-worth

Thanks for that, that explains why putting the Rams back on made no difference because the miles of rubber tubing connecting them was left off.
    Could prove troublesome.
    As soon as it's built it'll go back to the dyno for another go.
    Interestingly the Roland sands cbr1000rr and the huge moto one both run bare frame holes so it must be doable.