Thread: SSSA Question

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

SSSA Question

What is everyone's thoughts on a sssa from a vfr400 on the arse of a Busa? I reckon it will struggle under the torque, and a trumpy or vfr800 would make a better donor. If it wasn't ridiculously cheap I wouldn't be contemplating it.

Fire away lads. Thanks.

Weekend Warrior
    VFR400 runs a 140 rear tyre on a 4" rim.

Anything is possible of course, and with enough dollars and engineering you could make it work.

1994-1997 VFR750 swingarm is the pick for conversions. Earlier and later VFR swingarms have differences that make them harder to adapt.

Blog Entries
    Yep, what Phantom said.

Sweet. Thanks for the advice. I will keep looking

Weekend Warrior
    Also worth noting - the Triumph SSS uses the same rear hub/eccentric dimensions as the VFR, you can swap a Triumph eccentric into a VFR SSS to run either a Triumph or Ducati single-nut wheel, and vise versa - you can run a VFR wheel on a Triumph swingarm with a VFR eccentric.

If a Ducati wheel, the Triumph axle needs to be shortened around 30mm and rethreaded - I had mine done for $60 by Shane at Kawana Machining on the Sunny Coast, he's into bikes and loves bike-related work

The Ducati wheel has to be the 'small hole' version eg. 916, 848. The 1098 wheel is a 'large hole' (larger diameter axle).

I have no idea whether the pivot dimensions of the Triumph make it a better or worse option than the VFR, nor do I know how the shock mount is set up.

And just to throw it out there - an MV Agusta SSS can be made to fit a VFR... so could be an option for any bike that can take a VFR swingarm. And I believe it has the same eccentric diameter as the VFR/Triumph SSS, so you don't need to run a MV wheel. You can get one from Italy delivered to Australia for $250 or so... have a look on ebay.
    Last edited by The Phantom; 17-11-2016 at 11:18 AM.

ASF Premium Full Member
    He knows his vfr's.
    more titanium than my bike

Holy shit! That's a whole lot of info. All valuable too. Sounds like a bloke I need to sit down and chat with over a beverage or 3. The bonus being he isnt too far up the rd from me. And given that a VFR SSS with rim will set me back $700 give or take, the pricing on the MV kit looks like something worth following up on.