Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1216 problems, who has one?

Weekend Warrior
    Briz, or where ever fate takes me. Australia.

1216 problems, who has one?

Howdy all,
    I've got a 1216 in my bandit, and it WILL, not stop pinging!!!!
    The head hasn't been shaved, its got both 1989, 1100 gix cams in it, dialled in at 106/108
    I built it 2 years ago, and its now driving me nuts, as i really can't ride it anymore,
    due to the pinging.. It doesn't have a timing advancer either.

Has anybody else had these kind of problems with a 1216?

I've been on forums all over the world, and nobody else seems to have this problem,
    and most have shaved their head, so I'm at a lose to what's going on.

The next step is a dyna 2000, to see if this fixes the problem.

Any thoughts??
    Cheers

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    you'll never fix the problem mate...sell it cheaply to me...no seriously...no mechanic here...but i'd be looking at advanced timing

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Things that can cause pinging or pre ignition:
    CR. What pistons did you use? 13-1 race pistons could cause it even with 98 octane.

Fuel octane rating. Obviously 98 octane is the choice here. Lower octane rating or e10 will cause it.

Ignition timing. Too advanced but stock sho I ld be ok still.

Jetting. Whats been done to tune the engine to the new bore, CR, cam and exhaust settings?

I'd put my money on CR too high and jetting incorrect as nothing else you've changed should effect it.

Weekend Warrior
    Thery're 11:1 J&E pistons. At 106 intake, got 200psi cranking pressure. I only ever run 98.
    With that dial in, it shouldn't be pinging
    Its been dynoed 5 times in 2 years. The A/F is as good as its gonna be.
    Yesterday, i even tried another CDI. This has made a bit of difference,
    but no where near fixing the problem. So....I'm certainly tthinking its an advance problem,
    so i think the dyna 2000i, is the next step.

geesexar.....I've had this thing 12 years, and with the amount of money I've chucked at it ,
    i'd have to sell it $100 000....ahh...why do we do it??????
    Last edited by MTBEERWAH; 27-09-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Mmmmmm......(quickly doubles back and grabs money back lol).
    Yep, that combo shouldnt ping really like you say. Didnt think bandits run much timing anyway so is still perplexing. What about trying a colder plug? Did you take all the sharp machined edges off the pistons before fitting? They could be causing hot spots and the pinging?
    If you want to try the retard theory before investing in dyna ( which personally i wouldnt as they are a power hungry dinosaur and there are other much better options available now) then remove the crank sensor backplate and file the 3 holes into slots. From memory, at that diameter from the crank centre each mm moved at the slotted screw is about 1 deg. You want to slot the holes to move the sensor in a clockwise direction to retard. As long as you only slot the one way, you can always easily go back to factory timing because one end of the slot is your factory hole still. This isnt obviously a permanent solution as your reducing your cranking timing and everthing else but as bike engines generally get all the timing in by about 2500rpm you just want to see if reducing the overall timing has an effect on the pinging under load.
    Just a thought.

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing with the retarding.

Ok, i'm out of the loop...what other systems are there, on the basis of the dyna systems?

I know i want one like the dyna 2000 I, which is totally programmable, so you can upload your own map.

PS. I've been thinking about the fine matter thing, that may still be there, that can cause hot spots, and cause pinging.
    I think i got it all, but now i'm just head fucking myself, thinking, did i get all.
    Last edited by MTBEERWAH; 27-09-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Alot of guys in the uk are using this one know.

http://ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

Cheaper than dyna, uses the factory crank pick up and wheel can use a tps or map sensor for propper 3D mapping of the ignition.

I would be looking at the A/F ratio but you said that is good. Just out of curiosity what is it at?
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Weekend Warrior
    You'll never get them perfect, when you start playing with airbox mods.
    With an open airbox, it has an average of 12.7.
    Its got a stage 2 open airbox Holeshot kit in it.
    17 pilots, Holeshot needle on 3rd clip, running 147.5 Mains.
    It rides and fuels very nicely, but pings like a bitch!!

What heat range plugs are you running?
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011

What do they look like when you pull them out?

Weekend Warrior
    I haven`t tried changing the heat range yet, but will give that ago this week, so right now, I`m still running 9`s.
    I`ll give 10`s ago and see what happens.

Funny thing with the colour...as I`ve been experimenting with tune constantly over the last 2 years,
    different cams, different cam dial in`s, different jet and airbox settings, and then also different exhaust systems, from full systems to changing the Can, for variation in brands and lengths...I`ve just pulled off my full Hindle system, which when the plugs are checked, they`re a nice colour.
    But have now just tried going back to the OEM header, and a yosh slip on..
    Its now increased the bottom and mid range torque "beyond" what I expected(I know this will do this in a logical sense, and affect top end, as its done) but has made the plugs look a little hot, which I didn`t expect, as I thought it would, without changing jetting to suit the now more restricted flow, be richer, so I found that a bit strange.
    All this hasn`t made any difference to the pinging, its still the same characteristics.

I`ll get some 10`s tomorrow, and see how it goes.

As a side note, I have a mate with a 7/12 that is potentially looking for an exhaust system ( he is currently running the 750) if you are up for sell one let me know and I will pass on the detail

Weekend Warrior
    No probs mate.
    I'm not real sure what i want to do with the hindle yet.
    I am thinking of getting a custom system built.
    The hindle doesn't suit my set up. Great up top...Shit down low.

is it pinging? Or is it an exhaust leak?
    What's changed since it didn't ping?

Weekend Warrior
    Nahh....she's pinging alright.
    Anything under 3500, and it wants blow up.
    You have to feather the throttle, up to 3500, then, you can torque it away.
    Its always done it, hence the constant 2 years of a state of tune,
    and its still fucking with my head.

I thought pinging was load and heat related generally? If it goes away after 3500rpm and while pulling hard it may not be pinging but something that sounds like it. Issue with the PAIRS system after the rebore maybe? I have some nice stainless lazercut blanking plates if you need them?

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by slingy88 View Post
    I thought pinging was load and heat related generally? If it goes away after 3500rpm and while pulling hard it may not be pinging but something that sounds like it. Issue with the PAIRS system after the rebore maybe? I have some nice stainless lazercut blanking plates if you need them?
    Yeah, that's correct. I can`t load it up under 3500 due to pinging, so you have to feather, and feed the throttle, very gingerly, so it doesn`t load and scream in pain. I don`t mean excessive loading either, in a damaging way. That kind of behaviour is bad for any engine. I should, in this configuration, be able to start to roll and feed the power from 2500, with out a glitch, as if just under normal acceleration, from a stand still, but it wont accept this.

Not like my other nearly stock Bandit, that you can smack from word go, and delivers faultlessly, with no gripes.

PAIRS...ha ha, that paper weight got binned a long time ago.
    Last edited by MTBEERWAH; 30-09-2016 at 04:59 AM.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Sounds like you've changed pretty much all you can change without going major.

my 2c! Cylinder pressure is high.

i run 1216 GSXR M with stock (Twin Lobe) cams and don't experience any pinging whether on Avgas or 98 but from memory, I haven't done a static test for a while, my cylinder pressures aren't as high which might indicate you have higher than 11:1 compression.

My GSXR (1216) will stand up under own steam in first with full kit of fairings fitted and running 17 x 43 gearing and still pulls from 5th gear at 40 k's to end of clock (92 ft/lb's torque) so yeah my opinion cylinder pressures way too high.

You could also go for longer duration cams this will lower cyl pressure at the detriment of some torque, might help.

Weekend Warrior
    If anything, yours should have higher cylinder pressure.

In standard form, the Bandit engine is 9.5:1. With the 11:1 J&E pistons in the Bandit, its supposed to work out to be around 10.8:1 Then I`ve got the cams dialled to 106/108. These pistons are definitely 11:1.

What`s the GSX R comp standard..I thought they were around 10:1, plus with the cams set at standard???? I thought the gix intake was 104, and the exhaust was 103??? you`ll have to correct me there, so by that, your cylinder pressure should be higher?

I don`t know what`s going.... apart from stripping it, and starting from scratch, orrr, its an ignition prob.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast