Thread: Something I wrote about riding (not SF specific) - The Moment

Weekend Warrior

Something I wrote about riding (not SF specific) - The Moment

Thought I'd share this with you guys - I wrote it a dozen or so years back for a bike forum I'm involved with.

The Moment

Nirvana on a motorcycle is - like anything on a motorcycle – entirely unique to the rider. It may be related to a particular piece of tarmac, or the company he or she is keeping. It might be the motorcycle itself, if you're lucky enough to own something really special. Or, if you're anything like me, it comes down to The Moment. Not “a moment”, mind - which is a different beast altogether, and one best avoided. No, this is that too-short, blink-and-you-miss-it instant where you know exactly what it is about riding motorcycles that is so inspiring. It comes to each of us in different ways, at different times, but it has the same effect - it's moto-Nirvana, and to paraphrase a quote I once found on a pair of surf-label jeans "Only a rider knows the feeling".

Although I've spent precious few hours aboard motorcycles in recent years, I still think about the business of riding quite often, and I realised that a particular image always came to mind – of me, riding alone, undertaking the intimate business of my commitment to a single corner. It always gave me a little jolt of adrenalin, and it occurred to me that this was it - my own personal Moment. Let me describe it, and maybe you'll nod sagely - maybe you'll go and hop on your bike and go see where it is that you find yours.

It’s late in the day and I’m riding my VFR750 through a smoothly serpentine road that bends and loops through forest along a valley floor. I’m well into the ride, feeling totally ‘keyed in’ to the bike and the occasion – the pace has been steady but is gradually building up as confidence increases and my reflexes become more and more responsive. The bike responds with a will, urging me on – lean me over a little more, shift me up a little later. Give me my head…

We burst from the shadow of a quick right-hander, and the throttle is twisted to the stop. The next corner goes left and is just far enough away to allow this heady blast of acceleration, perhaps shifting up a gear, and it's a faster corner than the last, so braking isn't necessary - I just need to close the throttle at the right time, using the friction co-efficient of the tyres to wash off just enough speed as they roll over onto the edges and the suspension begins to compress. I've already started to slide off the side off the bike a little, with my knee and shoulder dropped and pointed into the corner. My arms are bent, my spine curved, as my upper body moves laterally and forward across the tank - keeping the bike a little upright while I search for the apex - and suddenly there it is, and now comes The Moment… when the throttle is closed, and the noise all but ceases, and suddenly we're 'coasting', and I'm feeling so relaxed on the bike it's as though I've gone weightless.

I have barely an instant to take in all the different sensations during The Moment. The sudden eerie silence after the noise and fury of my eruption from the last corner, the anticipation of slamming the bike down onto its side, the imminent return of the rauccous howl from the shrieking V-Four underneath me... then I do open the throttle and push the left bar away hard, and the Moment dissolves in the roar from the airbox as the bank of carbs scream furiously for air. The exhaust barks its raspy bellow as the bike swoops over onto its side, and I wonder whether to touch the peg down or just hold it a threatening inch from the road, while the rear end squats and the bike begins its scything arc through the corner. The revs are rising again and I feel my bodyweight return as my muscles tense up, followed by the compression of my spine and the push back into the seat as the tyre hooks up, driving the bike out of the corner.

The Moment is over almost before it begins - but there’s already another corner in sight…

M H Duncan
    August 2004

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    I liked that

ASF Premium Full Member
    That's nice.

I recall perhaps the same "feeling" interpreted by Senna when he talked in his documentary of becoming 'one' with the car and almost allowing his driving to enter another dimension perhaps not controlled by himself but God.

Not his words but sort of if you get my drift.

One of my "moments" I will always remember clearly other than 'a moment' over the handlebars in to an HQ LOL was on my GPZ1100.

I had just freshened up the motor with some pistons and tuning and came out of a corner on the Jazz, i hit the smallest of bumps possibly no more than 10mm high as exiting on full noise third gear and front wheel started to climb as if a Zen moment, I just lent back a little and enjoyed the most incredible feeling i've ever experienced, still gives me goosebumps even thinking about it today.

Nice piece Phantom!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing it mate.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    thanks for posting, that made my afternoon cuppa at work much more enjoyable, I wonder if I should take the long way home today...hmmm
    Last edited by Simo74; 21-07-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagarr View Post
    I had just freshened up the motor with some pistons and tuning and came out of a corner on the Jazz, i hit the smallest of bumps possibly no more than 10mm high as exiting on full noise third gear and front wheel started to climb as if a Zen moment, I just lent back a little and enjoyed the most incredible feeling i've ever experienced, still gives me goosebumps even thinking about it today.
    Awesome

I still recall an occasion on my VFR when it lifted the front wheel over a crest and I held it up in fourth gear - yep we were trucking - until I had to shift to fifth. Won't ever forget it.

Thanks all for the kind words. I might have to pull my finger out and get this VFR done.

I also have aquired another bike in the last few months - a crashed 1991 GSX-R750 that I'm told has a pretty wild motor - that might become a dirt drag bike.