Thread: Busa fork oil. How much?

ASF Gold Full Member

Busa fork oil. How much?

I've got a leaky fork leg, so I picked up new seals and oil. But now I don't know how much oil to put in each leg.
    I found a manual online but it says I have to pull the spring out of the cartridge and add the oil. But I don't want to bother pulling it all apart if I don't have to. So can anyone tell me how much each leg takes, or do I gotta follow the rules?
    I haven't disassembled the other, non leaky, fork yet. Is it possible to just unscrew the top cap and measure down to the oil level then make the other the same? Or would it be better to drain this leg and measure the amount of oil that comes out?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

ASF Standard Full Member
    Do you want me to come and help you hahaha!
    I reckon we could figure it out.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Hey Bobby I've been meaning to ring you. How'd you go with your spaghetti problem?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I haven't disassembled the other, non leaky, fork yet. Is it possible to just unscrew the top cap and measure down to the oil level then make the other the same?

I've done this before and it seemed to work ok to get a oil level measurement but I had to take it off the bike to measure it properly.

Last edited by StuNVA; 10-07-2016 at 09:45 PM.

ASF Standard Full Member
    Hey Russ, looks exactly the way it did last time you seen it.
    I'm scared I'll burn the cu&t if I look at it again.
    When tax comes back it's off to a shop to get fixed.

If you need a hand with the forks let me know. I got nfi so I'll just bring the measuring cups.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuNVA View Post
    I've done this before and it seemed to work ok to get a oil level measurement but I had to take it off the bike to measure it properly.

[/COLOR]
    I read somewhere that it takes 480ml. So i've drained them and used a syringe to put the oil in without having to disassemble the whole thing. I hope it works!

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBY View Post
    Hey Russ, looks exactly the way it did last time you seen it.
    I'm scared I'll burn the cu&t if I look at it again.
    When tax comes back it's off to a shop to get fixed.

If you need a hand with the forks let me know. I got nfi so I'll just bring the measuring cups.
    I feel bad that I couldn't help. Lets hope you get it back on the road soon.

PS When you do, we'll have to ride to a pub so I can shout you a froffy

ASF Standard Full Member
    Don't feel bad shags, I reckon it'd fuck the head of the best sparky.
    I have a goal of nfr in mind. Hopefully I can make that.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBY View Post
    Don't feel bad shags, I reckon it'd fuck the head of the best sparky.
    I have a goal of nfr in mind. Hopefully I can make that.
    Hopefully there is a NFR this year!

Got the oil in and bike back together. Put a few kms on it and everything seems OK. I need to spend a bit of time sorting the suspension settings. It's as rough as shit. Just too stiff, front and rear. But I'm comparing it to my R1200GS, so that's probably not fair to the Uglybus!

Blog Entries
    You may find that even with the rebound and damping fully adjusted you won't get the full travel of the forks. That's when it's time to start looking here: http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...busa/1999-2007

ASF Gold Full Member
    I dont do track days or anything serious on it. I did at one stage think about getting Terry Haye(?) to do the Racetech thing to them, but I'd only fuck them up landing heavy wheelies or something else stupid.
    Like I said, comparing the ride to my Beemer isn't very realistic. But it's still a bit of stupid fun to ride as is!

Blog Entries
    Just out of curiosity, are you getting full travel? Can you see the mark or have you done the cable tie trick? (front only obviously).

ASF Gold Full Member
    No idea. Ill have to have a ride tomorrow and have a look.

If you put too much oil in it can be hard as fuck, just sucking 10mm or 15mm or so out can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudie View Post
    Hopefully there is a NFR this year!

Got the oil in and bike back together. Put a few kms on it and everything seems OK. I need to spend a bit of time sorting the suspension settings. It's as rough as shit. Just too stiff, front and rear. But I'm comparing it to my R1200GS, so that's probably not fair to the Uglybus!
    What weight oil did you use? Apparently the heavier it is the stiffer the ride.