Thread: Oldbikesneveragain

New to Streetfighters

Oldbikesneveragain

Well my username reflects how I currently feel about my choices in bikes over the last couple of years.

I'm a 37 year old commuter rider, don't really go out on the highway. For me the bike is my best travel option for economic reasons. Had an accident in December 2013 and broke my pelvis. Took a long time to get back on but the introduction of filtering in QLD convinced me it was worth it.

Currently have my Honda VT250J Spada in pieces. It was obtained from my wife's cousin who claimed to have maintained it quite well. It was serviced for roadworthy in August 2015, and the mechanic told me to run it on premium 98 fuel. Well it's all been downhill from there.

My interests aren't in the cosmetic look of the bike, but I'm really enjoying learning how engines work and would love to be able to build my knowledge base because I get satisfaction out of fixing things. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Hey mate, welcome aboard. Funnily enough, altering cosmetics soon leads to engine knowledge as well as people play with airboxes etc.

Anyway, thanks for the intro. Those little Spadas are good bikes. What's wrong with it?

New to Streetfighters
    Hi thanks for the welcome.

It's a timing issue. I'm quite certain I reassembled it as per the workshop manual (I have 2 different versions) and now the exhaust valves are hitting the piston and stopping the engine from turning over. And being something as important as timing I'm reluctant to play around with it. Would rather get proper instructions which you think the workshop manual would be hey

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Read the manual again, look at top end.
    Read manual 2nd time
    drink beer look at pron
    read again
    more beer

Now you are ready to try again.

Blog Entries
    This is why Latheboy is on the BIG dollars - sound advice.

New to Streetfighters
    latheboy you could just be a genius. Shitty chicken scratch manual that I had before getting a hold of an older manual recently seems to indicate timing marks sitting perfectly aligned with the top of the cylinder head. Older manual with photos and much clearer diagrams seems to have the timing marks slightly offset from the cylinder head. Gonna try that.

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    Welcome.
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

New to Streetfighters
    Problem solved. Both manuals were wrong. VT250F puts the timing marks in a sort of V shape. VT250L puts the timing marks in line with the cylinder head with the crankshaft on T2. My VT250J needs the timing marks in line with the cylinder head and the crankshaft on T1. Worked it out using logical reasoning to do with piston position, and then it twigged when I got the front one in place that it was lined up with T1. So yeah, lesson learned and problem (hopefully) solved! Will find out tomorrow when I finish the reassembly and fire it up.

Now... any suggestions for cosmetic options? :P

ASF Gold Full Member
    Flames!
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Weekend Warrior
    Welcome aboard mate, and well done on figuring out the problem with the Spada.

My advise would be to try to not put too much money into tricking it up - it will only ever be worth as much as any other Spada. They are a great bike and if you keep it in good shape you will never have a problem selling it. Save your money and efforts for your next bike... an SV650 is a good stepping stone from the Spada.

New to Streetfighters
    Well she's running. No more clattering cam chains in the cold mornings but it's still a bit noisier than I anticipated.

So how do I participate in other parts of the forum?

Blog Entries
    Just start a new topic mate. What parts are you referring to? Only the members areas are not accessible to non-members but the rest are all accessible, but if you want to get in the member's area, you can just become a basic member here: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/asffull.php to check it out.

New to Streetfighters
    I tried to start a thread in the bikes for sale/wanted section, but it says I don't have access. My account has been activated according to the link that got sent to my email so I'm not sure what's going on

Blog Entries
    Ah, yes, that is a member's only area thanks to dickheads in the past. Sorry mate, it should be written more clearly than just a sticky post at the top of the section. I have amended that now.

Cheers