Thread: Rear shock dimension chart

ASF Gold Full Member

Rear shock dimension chart

Just bought a bike for this years Scrapheap Adventure Ride. It's a 2004 Kwaka ER5 and I want to replace the shocks with longer ones to raise the ride height to make it more of an off road type thing. I'll be putting longer forks and a bigger front wheel on it too. But I don't know where to start looking for longer shocks that will bolt on.

Anyone?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing you don't want to buy new?

ASF Premium Full Member
    How high ya wanna go?

What about a ride height adjuster?

Longer dogbones?

^^^ That ^^^^ and send me ya email I have an excel sheet with shock info it
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

ASF Gold Full Member
    It's a twin shock. The shocks bolt straight onto the swingarm so no dogbanes or any other type of techery.
    Been shown an evilbay seller that has a shitload of cheap aftermarket shocks for dirt bikes. So I'll have to work out what front forks I'm going to use and how high the front will be, then see which shocks will raise the rear to suit.
    But for now, it's got no oil pressure at the head and I'm concentrating my meagre mechanical skills on that. Suspension can wait.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudie View Post
    It's a twin shock. The shocks bolt straight onto the swingarm so no dogbanes or any other type of techery.
    Been shown an evilbay seller that has a shitload of cheap aftermarket shocks for dirt bikes. So I'll have to work out what front forks I'm going to use and how high the front will be, then see which shocks will raise the rear to suit.
    But for now, it's got no oil pressure at the head and I'm concentrating my meagre mechanical skills on that. Suspension can wait.
    You can still make or perhaps buy ride height adjusters for twin shocks, it's the same principle as monoshock.

Blog Entries
    Not sure of the quality of them, but have seen them before as Hagaar mentioned: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...locks&_sacat=0

ASF Gold Full Member
    Funnily enough, the seller below the item you've shared is the one with the shocks I was looking at. They're not Ohlins quality, but for what I'm after, they'll probably do!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    $16.99 for a shock..........fuck that'd be all quality.

ASF Gold Full Member
    I was worried about the price too!
    But I'll keep saving and sooner or later I should be able to afford one (I need two)

Blog Entries
    Just back from Japan sighs..... They don't seem to have the problems we do

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    What length/layout are your current shocks?

ASF Gold Full Member
    ozzy that's just rubbing it in (yes I'm jealous)

GB I won't be back home for a few days yet, so I can't tell you the length. But I'm pretty sure they have 10mm eyes each end.
    Until I get a front end on it, I won't know what length shocks I'll need though.
    Still have to split the cases to have a look at the oil pump before I get anything else done. But for $450 I'm not stressing about it

Blog Entries
    well if I had to suffer only being able to look then everyone else should as well............

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Gsx14 is the longest eye-eye roadbike shock I can think of, 330 centre to centre stock, 350 mm c-to-c is common in the Ebay cheapies for them. Most of the old twin shock dirt bikes are eye-eye, should be around 380 long. On Ebay you might find quad bike front shocks some where around that length too.

ASF Gold Full Member

Here's the beast. Im planning to raise it up a bit to give it some off road ground clearance.

$450............ I think he stung ya

ASF Gold Full Member
    Hahahahaha nope! I've got it running sweet for $0 just a bit of time and she's a beaut. In fact, rego'd versions of this are going for $2,500-$3,000! Seems a bit silly to be fucking it up for just a bit of fun, but no one calls me "Big Smart Russ"!