Thread: Engine gasket help needed

ASF Gold Full Member

Engine gasket help needed

A while back the chain joining link on my Uglybusa came adrift and inflicted a bit of carnage on the surrounding bits and pieces. Ive since accrued the necessary parts to make it work again, but Suzuki can't supply me with one last gasket needed to bring it back to life.
    So i've been searching for another method to bring the joy and have found an engineering mob locally who say they can cut me a new gasket if I bring 'em the old one (that I still have in one piece) to use for a template. They have a water cutter(?) to do it.
    So my question is, when they cut this new gasket will I need any special kind of sealant type stuff to coat it in?
    Or am I better off just waiting for Suzuki to keep giving me excuses and keep fingering my bumhole for another 6 fucking weeks til they stop fingering their bumhole and give me the genuine gasket that I paid for 6 fucking weeks ago?
    Did I mention it's been 6 fucking weeks of not riding my bike while I wait for 1 fucking gasket?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    What gasket you after?
    I've never had any dramas getting any.

ASF Gold Full Member
    It's the gear shifter mechanism that bolts onto the crank case. I tried spraying the old gasket with Hylomar but it pissed out oil. So I'm guessing I need a new one.
    Apparently there are several containers of spares sitting somewhere in Melbourne waiting to be unpacked.
    This is not doing Suzuki's reputation any favours!
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Can you dodge one up yourself??

Blog Entries
    Supercharger always makes his own.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

Take a rubbing of the open case and then transfer the rubiing onto the material and trim with a scalpel.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Now there's an idea Si, thanks.
    Wondering if they have a different type that is resistant to oil, or if it's all the same?

Blog Entries
    three bond is your freind

They have all the different types Nudie, make sure you check the thickness of your old one too bud. I cut the bulk of mine, (cant be stuffed waitin for the crap local bike shop to get em in). Scalpel and a paper hole punch for the bolt holes work a treat. I know an old bloke thats such a tight ass he uses Manilla Folders for his Gasket paper. Never had an issues apparently.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudie View Post
    Now there's an idea Si, thanks.
    Wondering if they have a different type that is resistant to oil, or if it's all the same?
    If you haven't sorted by Saturday give me a bell, i'll zip down and drink some of your beer!

Oh and make a gasket for you HAHA!

ASF Gold Full Member
    Haha thanks Hagarr, I appreciate the offer. But, I reckon I'm on to it. I went to Supercrap and bought some gasket material (.8mm) (thanks Si) and a cheap hole punch set. Had a test run that didn't end well, then got it right the second time (I hope). So far I've coated both surfaces in 3 Bond (thanks ozzy) and bolted it back together. Too fucking hot today, so I drank some beer and will put oil in it tomorrow and try kicking it over to see what happens.
    Thanks for your help guys