Thread: Interchangeable parts help

Interchangeable parts help

Hi

I have a 2011 GSXR 750. It was stolen 2yrs ago and was just recently recovered. Most things easy to remove (aftermarket) stuff was removed but the biggest pain has been the ignition lock.

This is turning into quiet a head ache. The correct fix is to get ignition lock assy and ecu. As the bike has been gone for so long i really done wont to drop the incredible amount of money this goes for only to find its dead.

I had the brilliant idea of getting lock assy off a wrecked bike and have them code that to my ecu. I was shot down repeatedly by dealers and wreckers.
    I then found a locksmith who had the technology to recode keys from scratch that didnt require an old key to clone from.

Back to the wreckers who were no more helpful unwilling to split ignition locks from ecu's.
    I eventually found a wreckers in melbourne who has the setup less ecu, but its from a 2009 model. Whilst i was on the phone he (apparently) checked with a damaged lock from 2013 he had there and harness plugs were identical.

Suzuki parts list show these as different part numbers and so after all that onto my question.
    Can anyone advise as to what might be the difference on these locks?
    Or anything im over looking?

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard mate. I personally wouldn't have a clue on this subject as my bike and most I have owned are over 20 years old. My question is though, how much is he asking for it? If it's cheap enough, is it not just worth a shot and maybe some tweeking?

Its $280 delivery.
    The steering stem head it attaches to is the same part numbers 2009/2011 and if the plugs to loom are the same as he said, ya im leaning towards giving it a shot i think.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Maybe get the wiring diagrams for both bikes and compare ? Failing that get onto some import car guys and grab an after market engine management like a wolf3D and use a sloex style lock ?

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Lol. Wolf 3D.

What would you suggest ben ?

Haltech, Autronic, almost anything other than a Wolf or a Microtec... Hell, even a homebuilt Megasquirt/Microsquirt is better.
    Converting to aftermarket EFI will cost a bomb in dyno time to get it mapped to a level remotely approaching the OEM ECU. Me? Fuck local wrecker pricing, buy off ebay UK/Europe - it appears the US didn't have the same transponder bullshit (Maybe use an US ECU then?).
    Last edited by GammaBoy; 16-02-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Or part the fucker out and move on with life?

The wolf was just the first thing that came to mind.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutbuter View Post
    Its $280 delivery.
    The steering stem head it attaches to is the same part numbers 2009/2011 and if the plugs to loom are the same as he said, ya im leaning towards giving it a shot i think.
    G'day mate, if the part numbers are the same, I'd be willing to take the gamble. Even if the plugs & wiring order are slightly different, with the wiring diagram you can make it work. Changing to a US ECU might be another option, that's how I bypassed the HISS on my VFR, lots of hours wasted pouring over wiring diagrams though, if you can find a plug & play solution, that will be much easier.