Thread: New to ASF and just bought my first Streetfighter 'project'

New to Streetfighters

New to ASF and just bought my first Streetfighter 'project'

Hey everyone,

I joined ASF not too long ago and have always been interested in streetfighters for a long time. I've been riding for 3 years and had a gt650r. Now I've got my Honda Hornet 250! I absolutely love the bike. Rides amazingly and I've fallen in love with inline engines. Two and a half more years till I get my fulls, and I plan on keeping the bike afterwards to give to my mrs.

After buying it, I started to realise that I may have paid too much for it as I've seen some for sale for around 2600m, and I bought it for 3300 with 56xxxkms. I'm not too phased but I could have used that to fund the parts I want to get.

It's pretty much stock besides the blinkers. Here's some of the things I want to do:
    • Either Drop bars or T/drag bars - what will the difference be in terms of riding position and where would the most stress be? On my hyosung it was more of a 'supersport' position and I loved it, but I really like the look of the drag bars.
    • Black exhaust or 'chrome' - If I go black, I'll be looking at making the swingarm 'chrome', not sure how. If I go 'chrome' exhaust, I'll be paintg the exhaust black.
    • Do some sort of work to the tail, like trimming it, to make it look higher above the rear wheel - still to do research on this bit
    • Get some Autosol and clean the cylinders behind the front wheel to make them shiny - I've been recommended to get autosol as that's what it does apparently.
    • Front fender extender - To keep the cylinders clean for longer
    • Rear fender - still to decide between a short one or a longer one, which is the only one I can find so far
    • Paint the bike black for now - I've seen some designs on here that look awesome, but will probably be too expensive for me.
    • Change headlights - I was first interested in getting dual headlights, but the more images i see the more it looks like a cafe racer. I've been starting to lean towards some sort of streetfighter 'design'.
    • Bar end mirrors -Never experienced bar end mirrors so im not sure how they go.
    • Change tail lights - Still to look into this. Was thinking of something different like the SV650 lights.
    • Belly pan and 'shoulder fairing' - ive seen a few belly pans that cover only half of the belly, still to find something that covers the entire belly. Also, not sure of the name of the 'shoulder pan', but it's the fairing that usually goes over the sides of the radiator.
    So there you have it. I'd absolutely love to see what you guys think and would really appreciate some feedback and starting tips. I pretty much have no experience with 'modifying' a bike besides cosmetic things like blinkers. But alot of these mods will be really easy to do, i'm hoping.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you all!

Here's a link to my new baby

bQQm
    Last edited by bQQm; 05-01-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Tidy little bike mate. Welcome aboard.

• Either Drop bars or T/drag bars - Drag bars all the way for me. It'll drop the position down more (maybe more stress on your wrists) but in doing so you get a better position for corners and also a sturdier hold on the bars in case of any head wobble (which, to be honest, on a 250 is highly unlikely).
    • Black exhaust or 'chrome' - Chrome exhaust will dull after time and be a waste of money. Go black and then if you are really keen, polish the swingarm (that's how you make the swingarm shine, not chrome).
    • Do some sort of work to the tail, Remove the mudguard at the back and be amazed how much more lifted the tail looks.
    • Get some Autosol You'd need to polish them first before Autosol would work. Polishing them menas sanding from medium to fine grit. I would avoid this idea like the plague though as your engine gets the road dirt and woul;d look pretty crap after a few rides.
    • Front fender extender - You may get confused for a cruiser rider. Hence why I mentioned to avoid the last idea.
    • Rear fender - see point 3 above
    • Paint the bike can't go wrong with black!
    • Change headlights - If you are keen, just replacing that massive clokc cluster would make that front light look mucvh better (oh, and the Mickey Mouse ears).
    • Bar end mirrors -Get good ones. Cost more but make all the difference. I got these after riding a mates bike and realised mine were crap. Pricey, but excellent. You get what you pay for: http://www.s3performance.com.au/buy/...sung/MMBEC.E01

Blog Entries
    Here's a bigger Hornet that Ben did, but it shows the potential for going crazy:

New to Streetfighters
    Another thing I forgot to ask was whether or not those bar end mirrors are able to be flipped upside down so that theyre actually beneath the hand grips? or is that just impractical?

EDIT: I can't seem to find my other comment I posted, did that disappear?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    On the bar end mirrors just don't get any solid mounted ones (screws directly into the bar-end), you want ones that pivot in a clamp style on the barend. 2 reasons for this, you will never set the solid ones at the correct angle, never.... and you can adjust on the go plus the teflon coating on the ball (at the pivot) also works to reduce any vibration you may be getting through the bars.

Blog Entries
    Wacky is on to it, hence why i linked to those that do both of those things he mentioned.

Have a look at your seat and then the seat in the one Ben did. See any similarities? It's just the standard seat on the subframe without the tail panels.

Ben is always contactable: www.extremecreations.com.au

You already have risers, so all you need to do is remove the old bars, grips and levers etc and put the new ones on. Piss easy.

New to Streetfighters
    Thanks for all your help! Ive found more pictures of the bike modded by ben. Here and here.

I'm so inlove with this bikes tail and tail light. Ben said he made it from scratch and completely modded the frame, something I won't be able to do I was thinking of just removing the rear fairings anyways and relocating the battery and anything else that's underneath the seat.

First things I'm going to be ordering are the mirrors you linked me and the Rizoma bar end mirrors from bikebiz

Blog Entries
    2 lots of mirrors?

New to Streetfighters
    Oops, I meant rizoma drag bar from bike biz lol.

Should I make a new thread in the progress forum?

Rizzoma distributer is Bikecraft.net.au

New to Streetfighters
    Just had a look at some of the rizoma parts on there and it's cheaper to get them at bikebiz lol. Plus i get 10% discount at bikebiz

Thanks though, scotty!

over 5 years to get an open licence. the system has been failing for many years. I answered 20 multiple questions back in the day, then did some stunts in the car park and a stoppie at the traffic lights. Oh forgot to mention.. that was on a Yamaha yb100. My first licence photo had a big grease stain across my forehead from putting the chain back on. How times have changed, for the better.

New to Streetfighters
    I did lose my license for a total of 21 months though... My goal is to get gold license when I get to my fulls

Blog Entries
    Yea mate, create a new build thread, that'll be great to follow.

New to Streetfighters
    I am so happy right now! Swapped my bike for this bad boy

Blog Entries
    Moved it up a gear hey!? Good stuff.

New to Streetfighters
    still got a bit of work to do, so excited. The inline engine sounds so god damn good.