Thread: Tasmania Trip

Weekend Warrior

Tasmania Trip

I am visiting Taz for one or two months from late February. Would be nice to meet some members while I'm there. Hope to buy a van and or a bike
    Met some great people on my previous Aussie trip and my current New Zealand trip
    Hoping do do the same in Taz.
    Any ideas on places to visit gratefully received.

Blog Entries
    Hey mate, I'll guess you will just do the big cities yea? Obviously Hobart is the main one. If you were riding I could give you some good pointers, but otherwise I'll need to leave it to the locals to give you some tips.

ASF Standard Full Member
    I just came back from 9 days down there and 2200km's in a minivan. Fuck I wish I was on a bike for most of that. There are some awesome roads down there. Properly cambered corners are a winner. A good run I found was from St Mary's down to Bicheno then down the Tasman hwy all the way to Port Arthur.
    We stayed in Bicheno and done a penguin tour. Awesome experience. But if you wanna save $60 clams just head over to the blowhole about dusk and watch them come up over the rocks to their burrows. Just be quiet and don't use flash photography or bright lights to look at them. It blinds them.

Another run was up over the highland lakes via Longford to Tarraleah. You can leave from Devenport or Launceston. The run going up from the Poatina end was like pikes peak. We had a ford kuga and I had a blast driving up there. The Mrs was not impressed. I think the elevation change happens quick.
    I think there's kind of a loop from Devenport to Launceston via that road.

You could also go from Launceston out to Bridport via Lilydale to St Helens then down to Bicheno.

We should be going back down there very soon.
    P.s it ain't cold there. I got sunburnt and sweat my hole out for the most of those days. I got snowed on at the top of Mt Wellington in Hobart. But for the most part it was shirt and shorts.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Tassie has some amazing roads. Did a 4 day trip about 4 years ago i think, mainly down the east coast if i recall. I wasnt leading the ride and was having too much fun to bother with where we were going.'Best thing i recall is hardly any traffic at all.

I had one 'moment'coming over a crest, flat out in 3rd and the front end remained at the same height as the bike went down the hill. Gave me the same kind of feeling as when i was a kid on a swing set, except at slightly faster speeds.

Would love to head down there again some day.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Im keen for a Tassie trip this year. The missus has been there twice on her bike in a previous life and she's keen for another trip. Was planning for Feb myself but not sure we'll have the time. If we can it'll only be a week which will be a bit rushed Im thinking.

ASF Standard Full Member
    Charlie Boorman has a ride tour through there.
    http://www.compassexpeditions.com/to...-high-country/