Thread: 1999 zx9 clean start.

1999 zx9 clean start.

Hi guys I have a 1999 zx9 thats 100% stock and i would like to start having some fun with it.. I have some ideas but just looking for some help along the way

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12376488_10208243238549000_7277456462233017461_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	7371

I would like to chop the 2nd seat off and put some dirt bike bars on it.. also is there any tuning issues when taking all the fairings off?? e.g flat spots or running to lean..?

You'll need to run the balance pipes for the ram air back into the airbox otherwise the bike won't run over about 50 kmph.apart from that it'll run sweet

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    We've had ZX9R's on here before.

Here's the one to beat....

Quote Originally Posted by Klapparbaver View Post
    You'll need to run the balance pipes for the ram air back into the airbox otherwise the bike won't run over about 50 kmph.apart from that it'll run sweet
    Is there a step by step write up on how to do that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtISwbsv-ycYouTube vid

You can do it like that or if you are going to remove the Kleen system there's a spot on the right side of the airbox just above the carbs that you can plug into. That way is a bit less cumbersome cause the ram air balance tube comes out right next to it so less pipe work

Blog Entries
    Just replied to your other topic mate (it needed to be moderated). Oh well, take the info from there and here I guess?

Cheers

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Quote Originally Posted by Klapparbaver View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtISwbsv-ycYouTube vid

You can do it like that or if you are going to remove the Kleen system there's a spot on the right side of the airbox just above the carbs that you can plug into. That way is a bit less cumbersome cause the ram air balance tube comes out right next to it so less pipe work
    That video always makes me laugh when he says he "guarantees" his mod makes 10-15 more horsepower than stock. Yeah, right....

I plugged mine into the Kleen port on the air box, and connected the Kleen ports on the head to the crankcase breather (with a T piece}. Took out the valve, etc. Apparently that is worth a few HP....not sure if that's true but it seemed to rev up quicker. I cut the intakes at a point where it had about the same surface area as the stock intake under the fairing. Rejetted for a K&N filter and Muzzy pipe and it ran pretty good.

can anyone tell me if a 2000 model speedo cluster will bolt on and the wiring clip in to a 1999 model??

likn that speedo Hillsy ,is it readable

Ive got the same acewell on mine and surprisingly its easier to read during the day. At night you have to be at just the right angle to see it clearly

I love my motogadget. Bit on the pricey side but you can read clearly from all angles day and night.

ok so for a speedo I'm thinking of running this one..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Blue-...QAAOSwRLZUCzQp
    and for a head light i'm thinking this one
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Head-Ligh...sAAOSwLN5WhNLh
    as for the exhaust i was thinking of doing something custom.. but will have to see how it goes.. I would like to change the gearing to make the bike sit at 5500rpm at 100kph.. any one played with the gearing before??

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    I am not a fan of those headlights, they don't produce that much light and are ugly IMO

As for speedo you want something like the acewell or motorgadget ones, they are less bulky.

Blog Entries
    Rod has some good points there mate. Try just stripping her down with what you have and getting the ride right firat and then worrying about the lights etc afterwards, ...or have you done that already?

Any particular reason you want it to sit at those revs that warrants the gearing change?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Rod has some good points there mate. Try just stripping her down with what you have and getting the ride right firat and then worrying about the lights etc afterwards, ...or have you done that already?

Any particular reason you want it to sit at those revs that warrants the gearing change?
    Maximum vibration !!

Yeah as Rod said, that headlight has basically downlights for bulbs which means you'll struggle to see past your front guard at night.

Speedo looks nice if a bit bulky but with no brand you're just unsure of what you'll get as in quality.