Thread: making my own battery

making my own battery

Hey I am looking at making my own lithium battery for the 929,i am using A123 lithium batteries i think i need 12 cells ,any one done this have checked utube but they set them up in blocks i am making 3rows of 4 then the battery in only 26mm deep and will sit up inside my new subby,i know i have to set them up so all cells charge evenly ,bikes bin off the road for a month and 4 batteries started her but they got pretty hot as they do but 12 should sort that out ,cheers in advance

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    This does not answer your question, but why would you make your own battery? I cannot see any advantages myself!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Im sure red has made his own i sure he will be along soon and can fill ya in . From memory it had a heap of grunt was small and light

Main reason is I can fit it in my new subframe and completely delete the battery box total weight will be 700grams ,will be 155mm wide 130mm deep but only 26mm thick,total cost $135 , I like making my bike unique , maybe one I will get the kids to help me put picks up

have you seen rippertons battery frames he was making to suit the A123 batteries?
    Have a flick thru some of these pics...
    http://s37.photobucket.com/user/ripp...l?t=1276640698

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    There was a bit about this on the old oldskool suzuki forum. I think there was some talk of needing some sort of conditioning circuit between the generator and the battery if using lithiums. The stock charging systems are too course and can lead to overheating and fire. Might be worth a bit of a google around that kind if topic to check.
    Be interested to here the outcomes as stock lead acids suck

Thanks Nick thats the sort of thing I am making but just 1 layer not two,i have machined the end caps to suit but i am using springs to lock them together ,and i am wiring in a plug to use the special charger which checks each individual battery,keeps me busy in the shed

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    I need a new battery and this has me interested as I'm redoing my subframe as well... is it finished yet
    got any pictures you're will to post?
    Part number for batteries?

They are a green lithium battery A123 ,anr26650m1a, sorry not savvy enough to load pics yet ,there are a few people that sell them but like i said there in blocks of four min,i want to lay them out in one layer.Its making sure when they recharge the are all equal ,we did it with four and it runs my mates 510 husaberg ok

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Cheap stuff off ebay works ok , quality A123 cells much better .

For a start battery I'd solder the cells (You can buy them with tags for soldering , recommended highly if you've never soldered) I used solder wick for the battery straps (cheap pure copper and easy to get in flat ribbon) soaked with solder . Packs were 4 cells series paralleled for current 12 cells will be heaps for a stock CBR , I'm running 4 x 5 packs for the look and a little extra (using the cheap china based copys and no tag's) spins over like a top. Been using this pack for 12 months with just the stock reg on a cbr900 without issue @ 14.2v charge @ 4000 rpm. No bulging heat or other issues I can see so far. Real A123 cells are very tolerant if you keep the voltage below there max rating. Nominal is 3.3v per cell for 13.3v charge voltage max of 3.6v per cell for 14.4v Keep it under 14.2v to be sure and you'll be right as rain. Charge current is recommended to be 1C fast charge is 4C so with real deal A123 cells thats 2.4 A per string so 3 strings is 7.2A slow charge or 9.6A fast charge for 3 strings 28.8A.

This is sick, i have got to try this.
    Adam did you just solder those end to end and shove em in some heat shrink? That's clever

Thats the idea ,i have the green version of the same battery ,but am going to join mine differantly

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    I've made 100's of packs like this in the past with NiCad cells works fine.