Thread: Project650 - Hyosung GT650 Naked

Project650 - Hyosung GT650 Naked

Hi guys and gals
    Thought I should do a build thread for the project bike. I am no mechanic but I have a best mate who is helping me put it all together mechanically. I am doing everything else myself
    For those who haven't seen, it is a 2007 hyosung gt650 comet. Originally blue in colour
    I bought it off a buy and sell Facebook page for $600!! It has 15000km, Rego until 30th Jan and was in the process of being turned into a streetfighter. It already had a flat bar which I love!
    It did have a drop on the left hand side but nothing too major. Snapped clutch lever, no left mirror, cracked speedo glass, seat needed to be recovered, no pillion seat and a dodgy gear shifter.

The rest is cosmetic!
    It didn't run but it did kick over! It had a dodgy respray with a lot of black paint thrown in the mix. It was everywhere including overspray on the forks!
    I spoke to the owners father who told me he had rebuilt the starter motor to try and get it going but then realized it would take more work, time and money which his son didn't have. Knowing it had good compression and the frame and engine looked good I snapped it up!
    It looked like this when I picked it up

A few people I know had gt650r at some point so I was pretty aware of the electrical gremlins they all face. I pulled the stator cover off when I got back to a mates place and found this

It was rooted! There was only one bolt intact inside the rotor housing and the rest had snapped! A ring around to some wreckers and I sourced a used stator and rotor housing. I decided to try this because I wanted to make sure the engine ran fine before sinking money into upgrading to mosfet rr and ninja stator.
    There wasn't much else to do while I waited for parts so I got stuck into tidying things up a bit. Cleaned paint off the forks and started to strip the dodgy paint job in preparation for plasti dip spray job. I'm thinking I might do it matte black or matte gray at this stage
    Almost cleaned!

The original colour of the tank

The parts finally arrived Christmas eve and I got stuck into it the other night. Pulled the rotor housing and saw the extent of the damage.

Stator about to go in! Huge difference!

Stator in and all wired back up. I prayed to the hyosung gods and hit the starter. On the 3rd go it kicked over with not much fuss!! I was ecstatic! The hyo lives!!
    As expected it ran really rough and didn't run off the choke. I think the fuel could have gone bad as I have no idea when it ran last. Sounded like it had an exhaust leak too. All the electrics work so that's a big bonus.
    So today I got around to investigating more on the exhaust leak. I pulled the tank off and opened the air box and found it had no air filter!! Could this be the noise I was hearing??
    Tank removed

Hello air box!

I ordered a new gear shifter off ebay so once that arrives I'll put it on and I'll also buy an air filter. Once that's done I'll fire it up and see if that noise has gone away. If not I'll strip it down and investigate more.
    Thanks for reading my thread. I hope I can help others deciding to do something like this as well. I'm a noob so I'll throw up threads as I find stuff If I can't find answers elsewhere
    Cheers!
    J

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Cool man . Been there and done the hyosung myself . The stator is a common noise problem with those and unfortunately crank bearings are too . Mine spun a crank end bearing at 13000ks but was warranted and resulted in new cases . But bang for buck there a good bike be ready to cop some flack from people but coz of what they are but . Cheap tricks for them are put a few washers under the front tank mount to lift it a tad and help it breathe zx6r mufflers bolt straight up to the flange . Bmc air filter is the go . Dont desnorkel a standard filter makes them shit house . Pipe . Filter and raise the needles one clip and she will go pretty good . One tooth down on the front sprocket and your ready.

Cheers hyofighter! Im aware of the stigma but seriously for the price I paid im really not worried at all. Mates had them for years and some still do, so I know they can be reliable

Bit of an update!
    Ordered some new parts - air filter and the round rubber tank cushions from Hyosungasia store - Awesome service and very speedy!!
    I also took my exhaust off to trace a leak near the rear cylinder - the join off the header was missing the gasket connecter!! Easy fix once again!!
    It wasn't too difficult to take off either - had to move the reservoir near the battery to get my extension socket in to undo the clamp. Little bit of jiggling and taking off the front header and she was off!

Now to decide whether I keep it black or not!!
    I was thinking I might do an exhaust wrap, but ill see what happens

Blog Entries
    Nice thread mate! Thanks for sharing.
    Sounds lie you got yourself a bargian project there. Good fun getting things working again and a great feeling of accomplishment. As for the headers, I'd be leaving them black mate. Even though I have an exhaust wrap on mine, I would say to avoid it if you're planning on using the bike in all weathers (i.e. rain!)

Cheers for the comments

I updated a new post, not sure where its gone so ill have to copy and paste it in again

double post
    Last edited by Project650; 27-02-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry mate, that was my fault! It needed to be moderated (long story). I miessed it and that's why you couldn't see it but I could, hence my reply to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Sorry mate, that was my fault! It needed to be moderated (long story). I miessed it and that's why you couldn't see it but I could, hence my reply to it.
    All good mate, just deleted the duplicate

Im guessing its to stop spambots - I used to run a forum so I know what its like

Blog Entries
    Bang on mate!