Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoping to emigrate to Australia

Weekend Warrior

Hoping to emigrate to Australia

My eldest daughter is currently living and working in Brisbane. I am flying out with her younger sister on June 28th. Doing tourist stuff with both daughters for 3 weeks , then seeing Australia's east coast until end of August, then spending a few months in New Zealand. When we get back to Oz, I am hoping to live in the southeast in NSW, Victoria or Tasmania . I am retired at 56 years old and can live on my pension and money invested from sale of my house. Can anyone advise me on property prices, climate and if I need work , what skills are required in these areas and whether I could easily set up a small bike servicing, fabricating business without too much hassle or red tape. Any advice or help welcome. We'd love to meet up with some of you guys while we're in the area too?

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Have you spoken to immigration ?

It's hard to get in without a sponsor once your past 40.
    It's expensive to get in as a retired person.

Happy to help out (I've been though it) but don't get too excited unless you have
    a permanent residency OK. I know the AU gov had conditions and clauses and wanted
    $13,000 (i think) per person in the past from folk retiring here,
    and the visa had a time scale not permanent residency.
    Last edited by Tony Nitrous; 25-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    This link may help mate.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/405.aspx

When I chose to emmigrate here in 2009 I chose Melbourne. Apart from it being voted as the worlds most liveable city on several occassions it actually has weather rather than a climate. Melbourne weather is fantastic as it rarely gets below about 3 degrees C in winter and can get up into the forties in summer. The weather in Melbourne is famous for it's changeability and unpredictability. Victoria is a beautiful state to live in. Phillip Island is just over an hour away from Melbourne, the Yarra Valley,etc., etc., etc. It doesn't have that hot sticky 'kin uncomfortable humidity other places do.

Another thing I still can't get my head around is that THEY NEVER HAVE TO SALT THEIR ROADS IN WINTER

A guy I know from Newcastle has started his on motorcycle repair and recovery business and seems to be doing quite well from it.

As far as I'm concerned living in Australia is definately worth the effort, time and money needed to make it happen. Good luck with things and pop in and say Hi if you ever come to Melbourne.

Blog Entries
    I was in Melbourne and Canberra recently, regularly visit Sydney.
    Seen a lot of the East half of the country. Came here 4 times before I migrated,
    chose Brisbane and don't regret it. Haven't seen a frost in 10 years.
    We get a bit of heat and rain sometimes but the good stuff makes it worth it.

I work out doors all year and I'm over 50, its not a drama if you man up.
    Hate the cold, couldn't wait to get out of Melbourne.

South of the country seems more English, if I wanted that I'd be in England.

Just booked my 10th trip back to the UK in 15 years ( to see the GP )
    every time I return the place gets worse. I never regret leaving.

Come over unannounce on a boat those cunts have no dramas staying and have quiet a nice holiday resort to stay in up the hill from me . No need for money all expenses paid ....

serously but do your research i have a few mates with backpacker girlfriends that have had to jump through hoops to stay in australia just pisses me that people try to do the right thing and get fucked over but come the other way its with welcoming arms

Blog Entries
    You could try and sneak in under the radar and claim asylum,
    but to be honest being deported to Papua New Guinea doesn't look that appealing.

We did have a French bloke on here, even he got a ticket to stay,
    they just thought it was funny to string him along for a few years for a laugh.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the replies guys . Keep em coming. Any help or advice gratefully received. I think I'm at a major disadvantage, being 56, but I do have around $600,000 dollars and a good pension to support myself. As yet I can't find the right part of the Au Gov website to tell me if I can stay or I have to work.

Blog Entries
    I went through an agency. I had no skills on paper but they still got me permanent residency.
    Unfortunately the agency in Manchester is no longer there. Shame, great to deal with.

Mine (permanent residency) was done on a point system,
    Whilst you got points for skills, money, health etc, you lost points for age.
    Being past 40 the points dropped of quick, they work on the theory you have less time to be a benefit
    before you become a drain on the system.

I didn't want a short term / limited time visa. I only moved for permanent residency.
    Didnt want it on my mind that the future was uncertain.

Not sure about retirement, in the past you could "buy" yourself in, but few ever did as
    it was quite expensive.

Many UK migration agency's do a free assessment over the phone.
    Maybe do a couple and compare the results ?

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I'm not that familiar with the different visa's,
    but can't see anything suitable under retirement or retired investor...

"​This visa is closed to new applicants."
    http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/410.aspx

or

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/405.aspx

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megawatt View Post
    My eldest daughter is currently living and working in Brisbane. I am flying out with her younger sister on June 28th. Doing tourist stuff with both daughters for 3 weeks , then seeing Australia's east coast until end of August, then spending a few months in New Zealand. When we get back to Oz, I am hoping to live in the southeast in NSW, Victoria or Tasmania . I am retired at 56 years old and can live on my pension and money invested from sale of my house. Can anyone advise me on property prices, climate and if I need work , what skills are required in these areas and whether I could easily set up a small bike servicing, fabricating business without too much hassle or red tape. Any advice or help welcome. We'd love to meet up with some of you guys while we're in the area too?
    Well probably shouldn't say anything other than good luck.

Sorry don't see how we can help!

Retired at 56 with Income, spending a few months in N.Z, Live on your pension .............(Long Pause) wow congrats, no really I mean that but shouldn't you expect to have to jump through some fairly large hoops to retire in Oz.

Sorry if I offend but really mixed emotions on this post (Note massive jealousy on my behalf from 54yr old who has flogged his guts in the "Lucky Country" employed lots, failed business etc etc etc).

Anyway best of luck with your dream!

me and the missus had been married for 10 years with 2 kids and it still took 18 months for her to get a visa. Immigration department are no longer on my xmas card list

Blog Entries
    I have a list of dramas with them,

Including a trip to AU from the UK because they only gave me a set time for a AU TB medical
    or they would cancel my visa, and when I arrived they said they didn't have time to do it but
    thanks for making yourself available, I then returned to the UK to sell my house then returned again !
    I had to enter AU within a set time of receiving my visa (and get the medical) but working out my
    notice at work and selling my house went past this, so a pointless flight was $4000 for my partner and I.

After passing my Medical / Aids / TB, Police, Finance, Skills and every other test, and seeing my school and college
    paperwork, and working in the UK print trade for 22 years, and being for a very old English family,
    Someone in Adelaide froze my visa as they had no proof I could read or write English !

Ask Joules how he likes the Migration department here... LOL

There is a process for obtaining a visa. I chose the skilled visa thing. Yeah I had to go through a shit load of hoops, investigations,tests, examinations, etc., etc. Took me 14 months from beginning to end but I researced it at the beginning andknew what was involved so wasn't too bothered. The ex was another thing all together though

There are a lot of websites out there to help people considering this little jaunt. My advice is do your research, ask lots of questions and you'll end up knowing whether or not it's feasible. Albi may be along at some point to say a few things but er, em...............

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks again gents. Really do appreciate any and all advice , good stories and bad.

Blog Entries
    There is also another angle to consider that nobody has mentioned here. We had one guy move over from the UK and managed to set up his life in S.A. - he lasted about 18months before he was back in the UK. Australia is not for everyone, even my brother doesn't want to live here. If you are coming by yourself then it is only you that you need to convince, but if you are bringing family (especially a wife) make sure she really can leave her friends and family behind.

Another major thing to do is spend some time in different areas and avoid the tourist spots, as more than likely you won't be living there. If you need a city lifestyle then you are going to pay big for property, if you don't give a shit about that and could handle country life, well fuck, you could pick up 50 acres for around $250,000 out in some rural country areas.

Up here on the Gold Coast you won't get anything below $300k these days (and that's just units and duplexes). People are paying high 3s into the 4s for a decent size starter house.

Also, at this time of year you will hear every man and his dog complaining about the heat and humidity, but that's what you get for the sub tropics. One season of heat and sweat is well compensated by 3 seasons of exceptional weather, plus aircon and swimming pools save the day. You won't drop below 10 degress on a winter night that often and can enjoy dry cool 20 degree days all winter, perfect riding days.

If you are handy with your hands, you'll enjoy Australia.

Blog Entries
    There's plenty here to moan about, and plenty to be happy about. Some folk come here to "give it a try". I sold everything and made sure I had nothing to go back for. I wanted to be committed to what
    I was going and didnt want any temptation to bail.

Ex member on here (Spondon Ash) is now back in the UK, as Si said, its not for everyone.

I travel home about once a year and seeing the UK regular really doesnt tempt me to return.

I miss the UK's history, castles etc and although I now ride all year round the UK bike scene had something the AU one doesn't, its shows, but nights, modified bike parts etc the stuff you get with a big population on a small island.

I just booked a week in Cornwall, my Mrs loves it there.
    She'd move to the UK tomorrow if I agreed, my step son loves the US and step
    daughter wants to move to Paris. 3 born Aussies all happy the leave.
    Last edited by Tony Nitrous; 27-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for that Tony and Gix. My story is that I retired in July 2012 at age 53 with a good monthly pension , a pension lump sum( both by contribution of 6% of my salary for 37 years) and a generous severance lump sum. In April 2013 my wife left me , taking my two daughters and all my lump sum investments and cash. I kept my house and my pension. I have gone from near suicide and homicide to getting my life back together. My eldest moved to Brisbane with her boyfriend in September 2014. She has worried me recently by saying that she may leave her boyfriend to see Australia, New Zealand and parts of southeast asia. The main reason for me visiting her is to give her some support, spend time with her little sister and at her invitation , explore Australia and New Zealand together and hopefully stay together or close in Australia. I have nothing to keep me in the UK now, I see youngest daughter for about 5 hours a week. How difficult do you think it would be for an ex pat to set up a small business servicing motorcycles and carrying out fabrication work. Doesn't look like I'll be able to stay unless I work, despite the fact that I will be self financing and won't be taking a penny out of the Aussie welfare state?

Blog Entries
    Here's some light reading for you mate:

http://www.business.gov.au/business-...s/default.aspx

http://www.australiaforum.com/busine...-resident.html

You will need an ABN (Australian Business Number) to run your own business. These are apparently available to temporary Residents (Visa holders).

I've been here for 8 yrs and only just got my permanent residency. I traveled, studied here and got sponsored from work and still took me a while. In saying that i know people that managed to get PR in 2 yrs (following a 457 visa which is sponsored from work).

What I mean is that every case is different. You need to do you research on immi.gov.au as regulations change every couple of years so what worked for someone 5 yrs ago may not be applicable now anymore. The alternative is as was mentioned to speak to a migration agent, have a look online and see what reviews they have received. Just ensure they are a registered MARA agent.

You will need to ensure you have a visa that allows you to work and of you want to relocate here then Permanent residency is what you need. There may be options available but it's not something I ever looked into as I'm in my mid 30's.

If your daughters got their PR here in Aus, then you could try for a Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115) as an option.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks again guys. Looks like I need to do a lot more research and talk to a few people. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time in Au, even if they won't let me stay permanently. Hope to meet up with some of you from mid July onwards?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast