Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forks

Weekend Warrior

forks

Anyone got any suggestions for usd forks that might fit into the GPz 84 model not opposed to making new triple clamps to suit but don't want to go mad and buy the $2000 + ohlins

Blog Entries
    Anything Modern will look the part..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZX6-Front-En...fedf68&vxp=mtr

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks bloke, much appreciated

Blog Entries
    Yep, as Gitzy said mate. Once you get them it's just a case of sorting your stem out.

Weekend Warrior
    Sounds good, hopefully will be soonish, things are pretty tight at the mo, I'm one of them lucky miner blokes that just recently got pay cuts an shit. Also trying to sell pre loved car bits but everybody else up here in same boat, with no disposable income.

Weekend Warrior
    G'day all, another question, as you guys may have seen I got a set of 2003 ZX6R usd forks, now for you engineering guys, would it be ok to turn the head stem from 35 mm dia. down to 28 mm dia. or is better to get some 6061 round stock and make a complete new one?

Cheers,
    laurie

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra58 View Post
    G'day all, another question, as you guys may have seen I got a set of 2003 ZX6R usd forks, now for you engineering guys, would it be ok to turn the head stem from 35 mm dia. down to 28 mm dia. or is better to get some 6061 round stock and make a complete new one?

Cheers,
    laurie
    Need pictures on that one... Depends what is left of wall thickness etc and to turn a new one I only ever use 7075 t651

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks OZZY, here is some pics, and yeah if turned down would only have 6 mm side wall thickness, um last pick is sort of what id need, with a 28 mm x i'm guessing .5 mm pitch would have to measure though and the other thread is 25 mm by same pitch, if you give me a ball park price + freight to Bowen, 4805, would be great, email is laurie_wyngaard@bigpond.com, and if your happy to do this i'll get you some better dimensions. I'd do it myself but to hard to get the ally up here and having to use other persons machine plus the get someone else to cut thread because the lathe I have access to is 50 years old!

Weekend Warrior
    oh and thread pitch is 0.75 mm not 0.5 mm as that was a by eye guess.

Blog Entries
    I don't think you want to pay what I'll charge you mate (400ish 50 of that just material with out postage)
    Why don't you look at using the stem out off the original with bushes and bosses some times that is feasible
    There are a few ways to go it, norm takes me a hr just to draw up what is needed for a new stem and that's with both old and new stem and new yokes in front of me.....
    Trust me take your time and look at it from a few angles

Blog Entries
    Wait to you finish it and remember u need to do something with stealing stops....

Blog Entries
    6 mm wall is almost ok btw but have you thought of opening up the yoke instead,

Weekend Warrior
    yeah have thought about that, but removing, cutting & shutting, dunno, might have a bit more of a think about it, think outside the square. and yeah re using the old stem was my original plan, may go back to that, was just that it's an old heavy pos, but it will be easy to make a boss to go into the bottom clamp, don't have a top clamp yet going to get a bloke in Mackay to machine it up. and the old lathe will be ok for that part of it.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Any more done with your forks as I'm having a similar problem and would be good to see how you go?.

Weekend Warrior
    ^^^ Yeah Bud, I ended up using the original gpz750 stem and machined a boss to press onto the stem then machined again to the correct press fit diameter and pressed it into the lower triple clamp, however when I get a lathe in the near future I will machine one out of ally which hopefully will be much better, followed the advise from ozzy
    Last edited by Barra58; 02-04-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Sorry guy's, got another question, probs will have many more before this pos is finished, anyway I bought a rear zx6r rear wheel and you guessed it, so does anyone know what swingarm will fit without to many mods preferably from the zx range of kwaka's.
    Thanks in advance

I have parts off a 96 zx6r if that's any good to you.

Weekend Warrior
    Swingarm with rear axle and swingarm axle/pivot, price and it would have to be freighted to 4805, Bowen, Qld so I guess some sort of guestimate on freight price as well

I have complete shock if interested in that as well but no back axle.

You're probabl past this point but aren't modern USD's a bit short to replace 80's forks?
    I'm used to Suzuki. Is kwaka different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast