Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's ZXR750 Build

Blog Entries
    Good on ya mate. Everyone has to have at least one shot at making their own tail piece.

Did a quick and rough "photoshop" of what I'm thinking of, ideas/comments?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	6299

Blog Entries
    If the white part is infill then it is going to look very bulky. This can work in a "bull terrier" kind of look, so as long as you keep everything stumpy it will look pretty tough. If the white is just a void area and that black line is the subframe then you're on to something for sure!

Sorry; white/grey area is just fill where I couldn't match the background.

Gonna start trimming up the tail unit tonight and then start forming up the new unit.

Anyone got any advice where I can find aluminium box section or square bar? Got a mate who can do the fab but I want to give him the materials so I'm not taking the piss too bad!

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Action Aluminium is who I use, there will be plenty of suppliers around.

Make sure you get a grade that welds nicely if it'll be welded.

I get mine from
    Action Aluminium
    87 Victoria Street,
    Smithfield NSW 2164
    P 02 9604 4866

'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Easy metal at Wetherill park is another you can get any size and they will cut to size
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011

So after months of procrastinating and saving for the impending arrival of son number 2 I've bitten the bullet and put the OEM seat unit back on rather than slow the project any further by trying to create a single seat unit from scratch.

Since putting the original seat unit iback on I've come to like the look of it again so aren't too bothered by not finishing the custom seat idea but I haven't given up on it yet completely, more just wanting to get some momentum going with the rest if the build while that parts comes together more slowly.

A set of billet triples is on the cards from the UK at a very cheap price but have to figure out where to relocate the ignition switch as they don't have a bracket for one.

That's about all the progress I've got to report on so far but hopefully it'll start to pick up again as I'm hoping to be roadworthy for the first time I get a ride out after our son arrives.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Keen to see what you do buddy as I'm in the middle of building a 94 zx6.

Gonna try to do a front end swap between my 2 bikes this weekend; Standard ZXR750 front end put back onto the faired road bike and the adjustable ZX7R front end onto the fighter.

Not much of a change but it's what I've got on hand and it has 6 pot brakes and the forks were rebuilt recently too so it should be a good swap.

Nice build!
    What's the name of the headlight and how's the light output on it?

The headlight is a Milders Masks Sketch.

I haven't wired up the headlight yet but I'm told it's decent. Unfortunately for me they've started fitting HID lights as standard on their masks now but my order was delivered before the change.

Great company to deal with too.

http://www.mildersmasks.com

So after saying I'm on a limited budget, (blah, blah, blah) I made a trip to ExtremeCreations only to look at a rear disc that it turns out wasn't available I've walked out with a shiny new Acewell Digital dash! That place is too tempting to walk out of empty handed!

In saying that Ben have me an old expansion tank he had laying around as he had no use for it! Top bloke who I'll be seeing again for a tank recessed mount for my new Acewell once funds allow!

Dangerous place that

So now my faired bike won't start so gotta sort that out before I do anything on the fighter.

Still waiting on parts to come in before I can do my front end swap then hopefully things will start moving again!

So son number 2 has arrived and is giving us the usual sleepless nights and tiresome days but during my time off I've managed to get a few things done while I'm waiting on parts to arrive and deals to be done on parts I'm looking to buy.

I finally bit the bullet and put an angle grinder disc through my rear subframe The. Having a mate weld it up to shortening it quite a bit but still retaining the standard rear light bracket and a few of the mounting holes for the tail unit. I've also decided to have a chance ack at reshaping my OEM tail unit by beating it up and reforming it by hand to suit the new shortened subframe. Not too sure how it'll work out but from the small bit I've had a try with the heat gun it's come out pretty good some I'm hoping it won't look too shit once it's finished!

Just missed out on a pair of forks and callipers fur my fighter; bugger! Ah well, should have a set available in summer from another source so all remains well.

Blog Entries
    The grinder was the big step mate; you'll be on a roll from here.

After taking the step of chopping the subframe I've decided to get eBaying and have picked up a new rear light with integrated indicators and a belly pan.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast