Thread: ADR 42/04 updated, 45 degree rule ditched!

Pizza delivery boy/girl

ADR 42/04 updated, 45 degree rule ditched!

I can't believe I finally approve of something our dear gubmint has done... http://www.amcn.com.au/news/1409/rear-mudguards-gone/

ASF Premium Full Member
    Yeehah, .............oh but wait I live in W.A. it will take them 10 years to adopt or at best accept!

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    That's great, but how will that effect most of us with older bikes?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagarr View Post
    Yeehah, .............oh but wait I live in W.A. it will take them 10 years to adopt or at best accept!
    It's Oz wide, it's been here a month, that's why I'm gobsmacked that I haven't heard of it. AFAIK there's no WA state legislation relating to mudguards.

Quote Originally Posted by latheboy View Post
    That's great, but how will that effect most of us with older bikes?
    Well, as I understand it, it must apply to older bikes too. If a bike gets rebuilt and has to go over the pits the inspectors have to ensure it complies with the ADRs, there's nothing in the new ADR that specifies any requirement for older bikes to meet the removed 45 degree rule, so there's nothing in the "law" to prevent older bikes from having mudguards that don't extend to 45 degrees.

But if it's taken so long for the riding community to find out about this it's fairly certain the popo will have no clue, if you're concerned I'd bookmark the following link on your smartphone in case of roadside disputes... http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005L03996

It's paragraph 14.3 that relates to bike mudguards, here it is in all its glory:
    14.3. Wheel Guards for L-Group Vehicles

14.3.1. Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components, including mudflaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.

14.3.2. General Requirements
    The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side-car must be fitted with wheel guards of width not less than the ‘Section Width’ of the tyre. The wheel guards must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as practicable, against thrown-up stones, mud, ice, snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

14.3.3. Special Requirements

14.3.3.1. Front ‘Axle
    Where a wheel guard(s) is provided for the frontAxle’, it must extend not less than from a point vertically above the centre of the wheel rearward to a point not higher than the centre of the wheel or to the point where suitable protection is afforded by the frame or other construction of the vehicle when a mass of 45 kg is distributed in the saddle of the vehicle at its ‘Unladen Mass’.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Shit hot, i just read all of it and I'm gonna pull that fugly shit off my bike tonight.

And I'll save that page to my phone too. Thanks Spyke

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    But if it's taken so long for the riding community to find out about this it's fairly certain the popo will have no clue, if you're concerned I'd bookmark the following link on your smartphone in case of roadside disputes... http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005L03996

It's paragraph 14.3 that relates to bike mudguards, here it is in all its glory:
    Cheers Spike, but this is more where I guess I was heading, cops here don't give a fuck and once they sticker you who's going to argue or more importantly where are you going to make your complaint to!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Cheers Spike, but this is more where I guess I was heading, cops here don't give a fuck and once they sticker you who's going to argue or more importantly where are you going to make your complaint to!
    Take it to court

Section 14.3.2 is still there though - which says you have to have wheel guards at least the section width of the tyre and designed so they protect other road users from debris.

This part will no doubt still be a very grey area when it comes to the police interpretation of it.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Me! I'll clearly and politely demonstrate the error of their misimpression by showing them the relevant section of the Commonwealth Law database - the most complete and up to date repository for Commonwealth Legislation. If the officer continues to attempt to harass me a formal complaint would be justified. Use a smartphone or GoPro to film cop interactions and take names and numbers, if you have to, they should not harass and bully bike riders, but they have done so for far too long.

The Victorian Motorcycle Council have stated that it does apply to older bikes: https://www.facebook.com/victorianmo...87816127926868
    Last edited by Spyke; 24-10-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: VMC statement

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    Take it to court
    I'm hearing you but whilst I still argue with my fucktard neighbour over a fence and wall issue and currently at about 80K+ and still going the last I need is another court appearance.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Me! I'll clearly and politely demonstrate the error of their misimpression by showing them the relevant section of the Commonwealth Law database - the most complete and up to date repository for Commonwealth Legislation. If the officer continues to attempt to harass me a formal complaint would be justified. Use a smartphone or GoPro to film cop interactions and take names and numbers, if you have to, they should not harass and bully bike riders, but they have done so for far too long.

The Victorian Motorcycle Council have stated that it does apply to older bikes: https://www.facebook.com/victorianmo...87816127926868
    See comment above!

I will still politely demonstrate my point though, don't worry always have!

ASF Basic Full Member
    Its not a bike specific law is it?

Meanwhile, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a rock smack them in the face while riding?

The other day, in my ute, I got a rock flick up fro traffic going the other way hit my ladder rack hard enough to bounce back and smash my rear glass, scared the bejeezus out of me, glass evreywhere and on the back of my neck, thought it was a gunshot for a second, took a bit to figure out how it happened, but thats how it happened.

Imagine getting that on a bike!!??

I just think there should be crack downs on knob heads who remove the mudgards on their 4bys and utes.

Cant picture a sportbike tyre flicking up debris in any meaningful way though.
    Last edited by Squid; 26-10-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    Drink and post? Bloody legend.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    I've been hit in the face from shit thrown up by bikes quite often , Gaurd or not. The law is irrelivant cops will still book you legal or not, The GP weekend many people were done for tail tidys.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    This topic really is flouting all conventions - Queensland are leading the way when it comes to clarifying the rules!
    Just a shame they seem to think folks fit a tail tidy to MEET the 45 degree rule, bless 'em.
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle standards and modifications/Vehicle standards/Vehicle standards instructions/VSIM4motorcyclemudguards.pdf

Anyone had any experiences(good or bad) with this in W.A.?

I havent had one on since i go home from licensing the vfr . Though i do live in northam and havent had a drama touch wood in 3yrs