Thread: Who needs glasses?

ASF Premium Full Member

Who needs glasses?

I think I've finally figured why my riding has been a bit "cautious" the last couple of years.

Now I've had glasses for about 5 years now but have never really considered them to be my problem when the speed goes up, but the penny dropped the other day!

Does anybody have any comment, of those who wear glasses and how you cope.

I have been wearing transitions so you can read and have long distance in the same frame and I think this may be the issue.

I like them to be able to read gauges and stuff but when you get in to "spirited" riding" I would find myself being hesitant in certain situations where your glasses shift and particularly as you tilt or move your head the frames would make one side or the other lift and put your eyesight in to a different section of the lense (trust this makes sense!)

Perhaps I have to put up with not being able to see the gauges but always have a consistent lens if the frames move around!

Any ideas from you old bastards would be great!

ASF Basic Full Member
    I've had that trouble for years. You go around a corner with bumps (and that's every corner around here) and your helmet bounces a little moving your glasses with it. Single vision lenses are cheap, get a pair made and you will find out if it's the glasses or your age that's the problem LOL

Weekend Warrior
    Hey Danny, definitely your glasses mate.

I find that some multifocals are OK and others are shite, it also depends on the helmet I am wearing as well. Some helmets change the direction you are usually looking through your specs.

Try single vision glasses or better yet, if you can handle contact lenses get some dailies and do away with glasses in your helmet forever

ASF Premium Full Member
    Excellent, thanks for that I've never really asked anybody else who wears glasses if they had any issues so good to know.

Thanks!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    When ever I go helmet shopping it's a case of trying to find the helmet that least interferes with my glasses frames.

I had a Shoei TZ1 years ago that was OK and the latest one I have is a HJC somethingorother. All the other ones I tried at the time messed with the frames and pushed them around.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    You sure its just not old fart syndrome.
    You slow up around bends,never twist the throttle harder enough and are now afraid to take it past 10deg angle?
    Don't worry, i cannot see too well now.160 is fast for me now. I have a fast bike that is ridden like a granny!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Sound unpleasant, but I'd be taking my helmet to the shops and looking for a pair of single visions, or contacts. It's "nice" to be able to see your gauges, but I'd take a punt that you're familiar enough with your bike that reading the gauges usually just confirms what you think is going on. My dad swears by the $10 cheapy reading glasses sold in chemists and stuff as you can do your own eye test on the stand, chuck a pair of them in your pocket and check your gauges when you stop for fuel/coffee.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsy View Post
    When ever I go helmet shopping it's a case of trying to find the helmet that least interferes with my glasses frames.

I had a Shoei TZ1 years ago that was OK and the latest one I have is a HJC somethingorother. All the other ones I tried at the time messed with the frames and pushed them around.
    I think this is perhaps the problem, I've just bought a new Bell helmet and I didn't think of checking glasses when I tried it in the shop but I've only really started noticing the problem is worse.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
    You sure its just not old fart syndrome.
    You slow up around bends,never twist the throttle harder enough and are now afraid to take it past 10deg angle?
    Don't worry, i cannot see too well now.160 is fast for me now. I have a fast bike that is ridden like a granny!
    PMSL Yes definitely 'ol fart issue but I didn't think I was that bad LOL!

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Sound unpleasant, but I'd be taking my helmet to the shops and looking for a pair of single visions, or contacts. It's "nice" to be able to see your gauges, but I'd take a punt that you're familiar enough with your bike that reading the gauges usually just confirms what you think is going on. My dad swears by the $10 cheapy reading glasses sold in chemists and stuff as you can do your own eye test on the stand, chuck a pair of them in your pocket and check your gauges when you stop for fuel/coffee.
    My B-King is OK because I can read the digital really easy but the GSXR with 300 kmh speedo can be a bit interesting rushing through a country town when you think you are doing 60 and it's 90!!