Thread: GS500 advice / opinoins

Weekend Warrior

GS500 advice / opinoins

Since I sold my R6 a few years back the missus keeps telling me how much she missed being on the back of it and that she looks forward to me getting another bike. Needless to say so do I, however the thought of taking her pillion everywhere is not exactly my idea of a fun relaxing ride.

So with much thought and hesitation, I put forward the idea of her getting her very own bike. this was greeted with much more enthusiasm than I anticipated, and a photographic list of lams approved bikes was brought out where I discovered several things. She likes naked bikes. She likes streetfighters. And when I pointed out a passing cbr250 the following week she said they sound gay and whiny. (I knew there was reason I married her).

After all this we settled on a GS500 with a few modifications so it looks less like a commuter and more like a streetfighter, with out going too overboard.

So while I'm saving and planning on presenting her a bike for Christmas I need to get a rough plan in place and start gathering parts.

This is where I need some advice, in order to meet her exacting standards the tail unit need to go.

I seen this elsewhere on the forum and would like some help identifying what the tail is off and thoughts on how the subframe is braced noting that the lower part of it has been hacked off.

Also any advice on the how to style the front of the bike is welcome.

cheers guys.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    Buy Icemans turbo setup

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Looks like a GSXR something tail.

It's had the lower frame rail removed off the subframe, so I'd be pulling the seat unit first off and having a close look at how / if it's been braced or strengthened.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaselman View Post
    Buy Icemans turbo setup
    Is it still for sale?

I want

Ive got three of the fuckers, my wife rides a stocker and ive started hacking up another to build her a stunter.
    Theyre steel framed so easy as piss to mod, the rear subby can be completely executed and replaced or modified to suit that tail which is an 05? Gixxer.
    Ive got a few pics of what others have done but im at work on a ipad so bear with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg   image.jpg  

Fuck, forgot this one.
    Theres a heap of these on custom fighters if u want to see the full build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

ASF Premium Full Member
    That first shot has a CBR600 rear end look to it to me Tom!!

Suspension matches the 7k pricetag, soft and hopeless.

Carbies!

Brakes are just!

If your girl starts understanding how to ride properly then she'll find the limits of a GS500 very quickly.

Personally if shes not into any naked type bike then I would point her to either the GSX650 (still LAMS) or Kawasaki ER650 a much higher spec of bike and one she'll keep for a while.

My opinion and experience only of course!

Blog Entries
    I would be pointing towards the SV650 (the older ones had the rounded tubes):

and if she doesn't like twins then the CB400:

Both bikes are good fun if she's new to the game. I loved how you could thrash the CB400!

Bloke with a smaller stick
    As much as I love them, the GS500's are 25 year old technology, go with a GSX if you have the budget.

And for the record, no I don't have the turbo set up anymore, I sold it a while ago.
    "It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll see what the the budget permits and take her to have a look at a few in the flesh I think.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    I agree with Si about the CB400.
    I rode one recently and was really surprissed at how good it was.