Thread: "Road tuneing" by using a 02 sensor data logger advice

Weekend Warrior

"Road tuneing" by using a 02 sensor data logger advice

I've picked myself up a cheap innovate Lm2 02 sensor/data logger.

wondering if I should be doing runs at 2,5,10,20,40,60,80,100%(power commander 3) throttle positions or if I can get it "close enough" going by the averages the logging program gives?

I don't expect it to be perfect, just having a fiddle/ trying to learn a few things and make the bike run a bit smoother/get better fuel range then I was getting off a generic map.

I go for a normal runs and you will get enough data from that to be able to make the changes required. It will take a a couple of runs to get it right. You will need to work out what you want re A/F readings and what you want to achieve. Make sure you save the base map and I normally keep the last 2 maps saved so I can go back at anytime if I'm not happy with the changes made.
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

When I say normal runs you need to make sure that you use all the throttle at some point, and take into account that road speed can have an effect on A/F so readings done in the first 2-3 gears can be different to the top of the box for the same throttle position v RPM
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Yella
    The road speed/ load/extra air from ramair is what was worrying me about just using the data from a general ride. not wanting to lean out the few times I do hit higher rpm in the higher gears. but I guess as long as i'm generally adding fuel and not taking it away ill be okay(only have basic mods (slip on (comes stock with decent flowing headers) k&n, block off plates, pc3 etc)

I've been aiming for averages of 13-13.2, bike feels smoother and seems to be picking up quicker going by the ass dyno.

logging 02/tps and rpm, anything else I should be?
    Last edited by Tim; 10-09-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Hi Tim,
    As far as road speed and engine load goes don't get too worried. I don't think there are any systems which just use tp and rpm to map. There is always the variable of map as well. This is how the ecu compensates for, like yella said if you are doing a low or high gear pull.

I log Rpm, TP, A/F, Speed and gear. I make 90% of my changes based of Throttle position/ RPM/ Air fuel reading the rest is is just nice to have. Road speed/ load/extra air from ramair all comes into play, once you start playing with it you can get a good feel for what works but don't stress about it. I aim for 13ish lower RPM 12.6 higher up under load as a rule of thumb for me. 14.something for cruise but each bike seems to have its own happy spot