Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joycie's 7/11

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Top stuff man . Hows the brakes feel after it sat for a bit . I remember fitting a twin line kit to the hyo of all things and bleeding it was a pain and still felt spongy after even pressure bleed but i rode it home and the next morning it felt great not sure why but im thinking gravity and the air bubble found its way out . Not sure if it relates to bikes as such but every time ive fitted a brake master to a car ive alway pressure bleed it on the bench too is suprising how much air gets trapped in a master cylinder

Hey thanks for the compliments fella's. The photo's are actually quite flattering as it doesn't show the blemished/discoloured paint, tarnished semi-polished frame. Needless to say I like them.

Hyo, the brakes have been a pain in the ass tbh. Just pouring fluid in the res. and pumping away did absolutely nothing at all. Had to pressure bleed the master cylinder to get any fluid moving at all. Then pressure bled both calipers and tried bleeding the system normally without success (ie. still nothing coming out caliper bleed nipples). Wasn't till I isolated one caliper (easy with the quick release brakeline fittings) that I got movement of fluid. Did the same with the other side, used 500ml of fluid (2 $20 cans) and it still felt spongy. Heard that applying pressure to the master cylinder over night also helps so cable tied the lever back to the grip during the week and to my suprise it actually helped.

But considering on paper I've a pretty good front brake system ie. new RCS master cylinder, new braided brake lines, new discs and rebuilt calipers I'm not that impressed really. The one week link is the pads are of unknown origin (the ones that came with the calipers 2nd hand). I really should know better. Brakes are good enough to get me through rego check hopefully next weekend, and looking at some EBC GPFax HH pads. Anyone had experience with them or can recommend something?

It Lives
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0960.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	6992
    (Saddleback mountain)

Although found the new speedo completely blank on the way home, no back light only indicator lights.
    Pulled up at home and no rear tail or brake light. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Few questions. Left tank/frame pad has come off, now tank is rattling like f@ck and rubbing on frame.

Name:	IMG_0962.JPG 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	6994
    Still have the rubber but what can use to stick this bugger to the frame? Have tried loctite 913(superglue) and Selleys Rubber grip(?)

Name:	IMG_0961.JPG 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	6993

Also need/want to replace the positive battery terminal cover.

Name:	IMG_0963.JPG 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	6995
    Trying to reduce some of the inevitable electrical disasters. Have looked through the local parts availability thingy and like most stuff I want it's unavailable.
    Tried generic auto elec. manufacturers like Narva but only stuff I can find is for cars/trucks.

Blog Entries
    That tank rubber things happens all the time mate. I ditched the stock ones and went out and bought a whole heap of thick rubber with adhesive backing and went overkill right around the tank in different spots to stop the noise and rubbing. All out of sight, and works a treat.

Thanks Gix, will head down to Clark Rubber this week end and see what they can offer.

Had today off crook, so instead of camping on the lounge (not that I'd get any peace there) I pulled up in the garage. Had a proper look at the wiring to see why I've no speedo or tail lights. I pretty much just took the tank off, poked at the loom and left in disgust last week end before the temptation to take to it with the hammer overcame me.

It turns out that the frame/tank(?) rubber coming off and my new electrical issues were no coincidence.

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	7008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	7009
    The absence of the frame rubber has dropped the tank down just enough that the Pingel fuel tap to squash the 12v supply to the speedo against the oil take off at the back of the head.

Replaced damaged section of wiring, added some extra layers of heat shrink, pulled loom back hard against L/H top frame rail, Temporarily re-attached frame rubber with some double sided trim tape and made a mental note to check this everytime re-installing the tank.

Speaking re-installing the tank, Ive pretty much had this tank on and off again at least twice a week for the last 5 weeks. Although I've now got the process down pat (other than squashing wires) there must be a faster better way to disconnect the fuel lines. Obviously this is low buck build so the 'Staubli' fuel specific dry break fittings are out of the question, thinking about trying the appropriately low buck plastic dirt bike equivalent.
    http://thirdgear.com.au/fuel-line-fast-connector/
    Anyone had any experience with these? Thinking they may reduce fuel flow but then again so would a partially blocked inline fuel filter and to be honest I've never checked them prior to having fueling issues. Maybe they would be just another thing to check if/when I do have dramas.

Doc's tomorrow hopefully get out on it Saturday for a successful test run.
    Last edited by Joycie; 20-08-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    You get used to pulliong the tanks on and off of these things mate! My hose is still fine, Are you worried about flogging the hose out or just the pain in the arse it is?

Not worried about the hose being damaged, (I've ended up with a few meters of the stuff) it's just a pain in the arse thb.

It's all good in the garage with the bike cold, nice and straight on the lift and the tank securely propped up. But I had the tank off last week in a rest area during a run last weekend (attempting to diagnose no tail/brake light). That was painful fishing around for fuel line clips with one hand while balancing a full tank with the other, bike canted over on side stand.

Some would suggest focusing on fixing the dramas underneath the tank therefore negating having to remove the tank so regularly or conduct such roadside acrobatics.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Keep at it mate, like has been said many times, " If it was easy, everyone would be doing it".
    For the frame rubbers, I used impact adhesive. It's messy stuff so mask up the frame to the exact dimension of the rubber. Apply to the frame. Apply to the clean rubber. Leave untill they both feel dry to the touch (5 mins or so) press together and remove tape from frame. Done ;-)

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Had the bike out for a successful run this arv. Sun was out, 24 Deg., nothing fell off to my knowledge and it still works (well, as good as it ever has) even built up the courage to stop in the main street without constantly worrying if the bastard would start again.

Bring on the Rego check

Name:	IMG_0972.JPG 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	7031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0973.JPG 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	7032

Awesome, love the look
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Blog Entries
    Ditto.

Top stuff mate. Looks great
    Ladies and Gentelmen, take my advise. "Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

ASF Standard Full Member
    Spotted you this arvo on Shellharbour rd. You overtook me and I followed you into the village.
    Bike looks tough. Just as a fighter should.

Ha Ha, Grey 4wd, Metallica Sticker on back window?

Yes quick squirt this arvo, swamp Rd. to saddleback Mtn. Then home via the village.

Nothing like a rip in some twisty's to forget about the week.

PM you next time

ASF Standard Full Member
    That's it man. If I was serving like a spaz it's cause I was looking at your bike hahaha!

Mine is off the road still. Hoping to have it sorted by convoy.

Leading up to Christmas is a pretty heavy time of year for some, not only the hectic work schedule gets worse but the social/extended family commitments seem to stack up as well. For some, leading into thoughts of those that will no longer be sharing the usual family Christmas catch ups and festivities.

Wifey, could see my edges were seemingly quite raged through the week and unbeknown to me had pre-planned some garage/ride time yesterday even though there were family catch ups, lunches to be attended and all the while juggling two tired little monsters in the heat. She'll probably never read this but, thanks Boss, don't know what I'd do without you.

So, got out for a blast in the sun, a little overcast, not boiling hot, minimal traffic, perfect. Parked up in Kiama, grabbed a drink and on the way back to the bike noticed over a car bonnet some weirdo had a pink master cylinder Res. cap on their ride. WTF, each to there own I guess. Wasn't till I got to the other side of the car that the penny dropped, the bike with the gaudy accessory belongs to me. Hmmm, now I've no excuse for this as I've had VERY expensive Brembo RCS clutch master with one of Ben's tidy reservoirs tucked away for the last couple of months. Why wasn't on the bike? I think I had convinced myself I needed a new clutch line for some reason and a Brembo banjo bolt. A set of bargain supermoto wheels for the dirt bike also led into the start of another project as well. On arriving home had a dig through the spares store (read: crap covering bench and boxes a random bits) and found the required banjo and inspection of the existing brake line showed no reason why it couldn't be used again. Color matched the front brake lines, even found two unopened cans of brake fluid, Win.

so removed this

Name:	IMG_0976.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	7361
    and replaced with this

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	7362
    much better

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	7363
    If it's anything like the brake master on the other side of the bars I'll still be bleeding this thing next week.
    The view from the saddle is now only ruined by the scabby old switch block on the left and the acewell. Progress is progress though, however small (and expensive).

I went to the Sydney bike expo and dunno what I was expecting but was a little underwhelmed. Can't please everyone though eh. The one thing that did stick in my mind was the Deus 'R nine T' at the BMW stand. The bike is a pretty cool take on the ever popular modern cafe craze, but the main thing that stuck out for me was the 'Motogadget' gear on it in particular the 'Motoscope Pro' dash. But there is a pretty big leap between the $180 Acewell currently on the bike and the $600+ what ever accessories it take to run it. Some of those tasty 'M Button' switches would certainly remedy the old switch block that I've got as well.

Nice to dream though eh, and who knows how far Santa can stretch the credit card.

Blog Entries
    That master is heaps better. As for the show, it always underwhelms.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234