Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: big block oilcooled gsxr750 motors

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar

big block oilcooled gsxr750 motors

i have been slowly been aquring parts to build a bigblock gsxr750, the plan was/is to use a short stroke top end ( long stroke =70mm bore short stroke=73mm bore ) on a long stroke bottom end, using a spacer plate under the barrels to take care of the diffrence in the stroke/hight of the two motors.

However, suzuki in it wisdome have made it a lot harder to do than just put a spacer plate under the borrels of the short stroke motor and away you go with 815cc motor. No they have used diffrent sized rist pins in the pistons to stop us from doing this, the long stroke motor has 18mm pins and theshort stroke has 19mm pins.

So something is not going to fit obviously, so the next thing to work out is how to get around this problem, (THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS AROUND THIS PROBLEM WITH THERE OWN PROBLEMS AND MERRITS ) first thing i considered was to have the conrods bored out to it the bigger pins, but this was the least desirable way to go for several reasons, the two main ones are that i have to dissasemble the cases to do so and that it will make the conrod weaker around the pin area.

The second way around this is to get a set of custome pistons made for it, which is proberly the best way but cost and lead time were factors that i considered, (i didn't research this much as i have another plan) what i have found out is that wiseco will charge extra for costom pistons reguardless of how they do it, but apprantly JE will not chare you extra if they can use a blank that they use for another pistone IE if they use the short stroke piston and only bore the pin out to 18mm instead of 19mm which is not a bad way to go.

The third (and this is not to say that they are other ways around this ) is to use pistons from another motor that will suit the application on the motor that i am trying to put together,
    after many hours on the net and downloading catalogs then cross refrencing them i have found that there are a few diffrent options avalible to use but only one that uses 73mm pistons, the others use bigger pistons which is ok if you want to bore the barrels out (BY THE WAY A MAX OF 76MM OR 3MM OVER SIZE IS RECOMENDED UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO USE AFTERMARKET LINERS TO SUIT THE LARGER PISTONS) so back to the knowledge, Kawasaki 1996-2003 ZX7R's use 73mm pistons and have 18mm rist pins, ( in the wiseco catalogue they use the same pins for both the suzuki and kawasaki )so this is the option that i am most likly to use as i can get of the shelf parts, also the kawasaki pistons come in oversize pistons as well so if a rebore is required it can catered for.

now for the other pistons that will suit this application are GSX1100E 1980-83 (18mm pin) and are availble in 74mm 75mm 76mm 78mm 80mm 83mm pistons, however as you can see you will need to bore your barrels out oversize to use the smallest pistons avaible

Ok now i have found suitable pistons ( i am going to be using the ZX7R or ZX7RR pistons ) i no have to work out how much IF any diffrence there is in pit to piston top hight ( i know that there is on the ZX7R and ZX7RR pistons ) to that of the suzuki ones, how ever this is not a problem as such as a spacer plate has to be used to compensate for the extra stroke of the long stroke motor. the ZX7RR has a shorter hight between the pis and top of piston so it might be of advantage to use it i don'know untill i get the specs of both the pistons and check them out to see which will best suit my applications

So that is how things stand at the moment, i will keep you informed of progress as i go.

if you have any questions i will try to answer them for you and if you have any information it would be appricated.

Cheers Clive.
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

WoW!!! You must really enjoy reading manuals or be really tired of it by now. Sounds like a really interesting build though. I will be looking for updates.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Cool project 03,I'll be very interested in how this goes.Keep posting.

Ok just to keep people intreated in where i'm at here is a list of what i have so far.

1 90 gsxr750 motor compleat
    1 set of 88 gsxr 750 barrels and pistons
    1 88 gsxr750 motor compleat
    1 88 gsxr750 wireing harness
    1 set of 88 gsxr750 carbies
    1 set of 88 gsxr750 headers
    several sets of heads from various oil cooled gsxr's ( 750 and 1100 )

the only thing at the moment is that the short stroke motor is in brisbane and i don't have the spare funds to get it up here just at the moment. If any one can help me get it up here (Townsville) cheap please let me know.
    i should have the long stroke motor here this week and so i can start with an engine stand to help with the build, and to strip the top end down so that i can have it ready for when i can make more progress on it.

Weekend Warrior
    what if you pressed a sleeve into the pistons and used teflon buttons to locate the piston pins instead of circlips?

you could then use GSXR1100 GHJ pistons.

also look at 280199831477 on ebay.

Weekend Warrior
    A cunning plan if ever I heard one...good shit Clive...me short on funds too atm (big rates bill).
    Do you think that there would be a difference in the valve reliefs or the piston crowns between Kawasaki and Suzuki..then again both are 4 valve engines and a little more "relieving" probably won't hurt.
    Have fun.

Aussiecat that might work, but i am going to use the set up that i decided on for the simple fact that i don't have to do any out of the ordanery mods on it.

Dave yes they are both 4 valve motors, but the distance between and included angle of the valves will still have to be taken into consideration, how ever that is why we compare the pistons and then do an assembly with playdoe to measure the clearences internaly to double check that eveything is going to be safe. a little more "relieving" in the right spots will be most benefichal for what i am trying to achieve :-D

just had a look at the pistons on ebay and they don't suit the application that i would have used them for but thanks anyway.

Good news I now have the longstroke from melbourne which i pick up today, it arrived safley (after a little misshap with NQX the mezzine floor at the loading shed fell on it but lucky the creat it was in saved it with the exception of a dent in the oil filter which could have been there befor it was sent and dosnot matter anyway) so now all i need to do is get the short stroke up from Brisbane and i can start in earnist on the build.

I got a ZX7RR piston today as a comparason against the gsxr piston, how ever in excitment to get the piston and get it here i neglicted to ask which model it came out of, and unfortunatly its not an 96-03 model cause it has a diffrent size pin in it, so i sent a fax of to Serco requesting kit numbers and dimentions, it turns out that the 96-03 ZX7R's and ZX7RR's that the same pistons and there is no diffrence in pin to crown hights between the two. So all i have to decide now is weather i'm going to use the standard bore or get a set go oversize, but i will have to wait to get the short stroke motor befor i do that just incase it is oversize itself, although i dont think it will be.

yer mate i did see that and as per usual they haven't let anyone into all the secrets of what they have done.

Weekend Warrior
    what some bastards not telling all his secrets....???????????????????????????

fuckas ....

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

LOL now now stevo you and i both know that.

Yeah Clive dirty secrets,closely guarded.
    The bit that caught my eye was them going on about only using stuff from the Suzi parts catalogue.You think they're hiding something?

Closely guarded secrets, yes
    They well may be using only parts fron the catalogue, but it dosenot mention is what or how they may modify these parts if your read it it sayes in there that they use the 90'-91' model conrods because of the better metalergy, may be it is also to do with the fact that they need the better rods because they are boring out the little ends on them to accept the 19mm gudgon pins in them, this is only a guess as to what they have done, but i cant cross refrence any parts that will fit without modification, if you use diffrent rods you will need to mod them as well or mod the cranks accept the combination of crank and or canrods.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Where in Brissy is the head mate ?
    Jesus died for his own sins...NOT MINE !

hey sharky its a compleat motor and its in Ipswitch Yamanto

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    just down the road from me lol well 15 mins anyway
    sounds like u haveing lots of fun allways the way when tring dif things

built an engine stand yesterday, took me about 45mins and cost me $0.00 the motor is now able to be worked on at a comfortable height and rotated to get to all sides of the motor (including the underneath ie turn the motor upside down)makes workign on the motor a breaze an well worth the time taken to build it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast