Thread: Help with headlight issues

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Help with headlight issues

Hi, I've started a streetfighter project with my 2005 R6. I've taken off the farings and now have the new indicators and dual headlights on.The headlights were draining my battery so last night I rewired the headlight so only one is on during low beams and all out with both on high beams. And while I was at it I shortened the looms to be rid of excess cabling.

Problem:
    My headlights dont turn on.
    I can flash the high beams with the high beam push switch but the low beams never come on and the high beams only work with the push switch, not the HI/LOW selector switch.
    I've confirmed that both headlight relays do operate, the low beam relay coil is getting 12V, but the ground side of the coil isn't going to ground, so there's no voltage across the coil to get it to work, ie both sides of coil are at 12V.
    I'm guessing the HI/LOW selector switch has the job of sinking current to ground from either the low beam or the high beam relays but isn't affecting either relay..

Any ideas anyone? I was thinkin next I'll open the HI/LOW switch and check that it is switching to ground. Considering it was working fine before I shortened the looms indicates perhaps a bad or wrong connection.

Just to reiterate: the neutral side of the relay coil isn't being held high but its not sinking to ground either, just seems to float.. have I missed something?

i found you still need earth conected from high beam,when i went from two to one headlight.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by safighter View Post
    i found you still need earth conected from high beam,when i went from two to one headlight.
    I disconnected the low beam switched active between the 2 lamps but both lamps are still grounded..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    charging system is wired thru your headlight relay?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    charging system is wired thru your headlight relay?
    I don't think so, relay get 12v to the coil but I have no continuity from the ground side of the coil to bike frame, so coil won't engage, the ground wire goes to the dimmer switch at the handlebar where if the switch is on high beam it is given 12v so there's no voltage over coil, which is fine. But when the switch is at low beam it's neither energized nor grounded so the coil can't operate.

Can someone tell me where the low beam relay coil goes to ground? Seems I may have removed it or don't understand how the headlight relays work. Can someone tell me how the dimmer switch works to switch between relays?

Pizza delivery boy/girl

This is the bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	5867

Views:	8 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	5868

I think I may have damaged something in the ECU..
    the coil ground wire seems to go back to the ECU

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Views:	5 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	5869

This is the schematic. What does the circled lettering mean? A? The key doesn't say, I'm pretty sure it means that the cable goes back to the ecu and out again given that there is no continuity between relay and dimmer.
    Last edited by JERLAMJERDANG; 01-06-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    are you testing with the engine running? as only the "parker lights" get power without it.. (i can still flash highbeam without it running)

I doubt you have damaged the ecu.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    I spent ages trying to get my ZX10 lights working...until I worked out the moteur needs to be started first....

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    are you testing with the engine running? as only the "parker lights" get power without it.. (i can still flash highbeam without it running)

I doubt you have damaged the ecu.
    My headlight relay gets power with the engine on or off, but the coil never gets a ground to let it operate

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Does the ecu sink the current from the headlight relay neutral? It seems to