Thread: USD front end for a VFR800 - 98 model

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

USD front end for a VFR800 - 98 model

Ok boys,
    so the missus has just bought a fighter to join in her array of bikes, a VFR 800 with a CBR1000 tail grafted onto it. Not a bad looking bike but could do with a few things tidied up on it, but the price was right.

One of the things that needs to be done is upgrading the front end to USD and then fitting a set of bars to it. Question here (and I know I've seen it elsewhere before) is what are the good combos of triples / forks to change to USD while if possible retaining the same front wheel. We are working on a budget here, so need to see what we can do.

Couple of pics of the shed

And the VFR

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    CBR929 (cheap) complete front will bolt in from memory, USD, 17 inch wheel , 4 pots and 320mm dia her wheel will prob fit if you just want to use the tripples and forks (top clamp is a gull wing though) . Or later 954 , go to the 1000rr for radial brakes but more $$$$$$ should still fit with little work (might be bolt in) .

Quote Originally Posted by wackyrider View Post
    the missus
    I'm afraid we'll need to see pics of her Bewbies Jules... it's standard practice for members with new Hoochies.
    Plus, we all thought you were ghey.

Blog Entries
    You don't know anyone to make a front end to fit?

Blog Entries
    Ps I'm still not convinced he isn't gay mister kat...he is too pretty mmnnnn

Pretty enough to be stealing your Queensland women you mean? lol

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    You don't know anyone to make a front end to fit?
    Pretty sure I know a guy that looks like Jesus that has a decent sized shed with some bits and bobs in it to assist in making things fit other things and stuff.

Just need to find a well priced front end to begin with though, lol

Blog Entries
    give us a bell or drop in jules there are a few things you need to keep in mind before you buy anything

have a sp1 front end with a cbr1000rr front wheel on my other storm.Used Upper & lower sp1 triples,and made up some spacers for the cbr wheel.Been running 2 yrs with no probs.Have seen gixxer 750 forks with a vfr wheel,but like me he made some spacers .

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    gsxr600/750 tripples and usd on some years are same size top and bottom dia setback is pritty much the same but forks will be 7mm closer together is all . As Erno mentioned different spacers will be needed and disk spacing might be slightly out (caliper movement might get you enough being 3.5mm each side)

ASF Premium Full Member
    My 2000 model has an 05 gsxr 600 front end that only needed the top bearing changed to fit in

And on vfrd a guy posted his cad drawings for custom triples to fit late model R1 forks and wheel. Let me know if you want it and I'll post a link.
    No idea what'll fit to keep the existing front wheel, I think the Vfr only has 298 mm front discs, anyway.

And you need a tl1000r top radiator to use as a front mount, or maybe an SV 650 rad- one of the guys on CF is using one of those.
    more titanium than my bike

Chris,
    if you could post links of some conversions I'd appreciate it bud

ASF Premium Full Member
    here's one to start with.
    http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...ours-worth-it/

Has a lot of guys who have done it, so should be a good way to start searching. VFRD has a lot of info, and a few fightered 800s. One guys has recently done a front mount using one of the side mount rads. No idea how effective it is, but looks right, and cheap.

ASF Premium Full Member
    and here's the thread by an Aussie in NZ with pdf versions of his cad drawings of his custom triples. If you make a set of triples, jules, let me know..
    He is also doing a big bore, and not just talking about it, but a spare block has been bored, a set of 929 pistons modified, and other engine work going on to make it happen.
    When my 160,000km motor blows up, i'm gonna ride his coat tails and go big bore.