Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackin up a Hyo

Hackin up a Hyo

When I first bought this Hyosung GT650R I was a chuffed 19 yo who had just gotten his first bike.. Since then the bike has seen many roads and has been from newcastle to the island 3 times. Once I grew out of the honeymoon period I realised how rubbish this bike actually was and wanted a change.. Seeing as though I was short on funds and in need of some mechanical knowledge I thought there's no better way then to rip apart a bike that has served its purpose but now owes me nothing.
    My goals are to make it almost unrecognisable. Going to work in 3 stages starting with the front end, swingarm and rear end, then onto the subframe.
    Many will ask why but my answer is what better bike to farrrk around with then one that I have no emotional attachment to whatever.. and if I cock it up I wont loose any sleep if I bin the whole project..
    I have a small mechanical apptitude.. no welding or electrical skills.. and an old boy to help me out who knows more about bikes then anyone I've ever met. With a bit of help from him and my fellow members who knows where this will go.
    PS. Save the insults about the bike.. I've heard them allllllllll before.

Mods to date:
    -lithium battery
    -removed all fairings and headlights
    -painted radiator and headers
    -yoshi pipe

Going on soon:
    -ZX9r front end with modified steering stem
    -mini dash
    -dirty bars and risers
    -small headlight of some description

Wishlist:
    -VFR 400 SSSA
    -new rear shock
    -chopped tail

Here's what I'm working with

Hey mate sounds like a good plan ,I had the 650 comet for 5 yrs ,had dominator headlights ducati muffler ,renthal bars ,besides the lack of topend I loved it ,1 tooth down on the front sprocket made mine a good wheelie machine ,to me a SF is about individuality,make it yours mate, good luck

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    I know Hyo's aren't high on folks wish lists but that pic looks alright.
    Some interesting mods too.

Good start point. And there is something about the Hyo tail that I like, could be a futre option for my bike MMMMM.
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nitrous View Post
    I know Hyo's aren't high on folks wish lists but that pic looks alright.
    Some interesting mods too.
    Yer just making it workable. Not a bad project for a first streetfighter. Going to be interesting to play around with the rear swingarm. Excited about that one. Its hard to find a balance between tasteful mods without blowing the budget on something thats really not worth the $$

Quote Originally Posted by Yella View Post
    Good start point. And there is something about the Hyo tail that I like, could be a futre option for my bike MMMMM.
    Thanks mate. Yep I hated the tails of the carby models but then when they went EFI and changed the tail. It was a sticking point when i first got the bike. And I'm happy with it for now.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Looks tidy!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Looks mean.

ASF Standard Full Member
    I know 50% of fuck all about Hyo's but that looks pretty cool. Are the forks adjustable? Are there cartridge and revalve kits to fit these? I like the black outer tubes.
    How are the frames for rigidity? Just thinking out loud, but if the frame is not monkey metal and suitably rigid, (maybe add bracing), and there are rebuild options for the forks, then stick a reasonable rear shock and brace the swing arm you can have a reasonably priced giggle machine.
    How do the engines go with tweeking?
    Motor, frame and suspension are where you spend your $$$$ the rest is just cake decorating.
    Just the thoughts and ramblings of an amateur do with them what you will. Looks cool as is though. Shame to put a front guard on it.
    :cool: Oblivious !!

Racetech do some revalve options I think. I looked in to doing this along with the rear shock but using this as a bit more of a strip down and learn bike. Not sure how the frame is. I have found certain parts and metallurgy may not be that great. Bolts, caps etc seem to strip and bend easily so the frame may be of the same condition. The zx9r forks have gold outer casings so ill see how they sit with the bike. Thanks for the comments guys. Love any advice. Good or bad

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Nitrous or could you squeeze a amr500 supercharger between the V ?

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    I was thinking a supercharger or turbo, fairly easy if you have the skills... Get onto kruise tune for your forks.

Even though it's not the best bike, how can you not have any emotional attachment to it?
    It's your first bike, done some big trips on it etc ...

I do and don't. It has served up some great memories. However with some of those memories being oil leaks, random stalls and misfires some are not all good memories haha. Hopefully with this mini build I can create some more happy moments. Also the mrs is keen on getting her licence and this way I could keep this for her and new bike for meeeee

Bit of a play around today

My new overflow bottle

Which bank

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Looking good. I think it doesn't matter what the base bike is its all about personalising it. Like HD's, not such a fan but I like looking at their mods even though most are bought off the shelf.
    Have fun turning heads.

you pics just reminded me of a bad day on mine first thing to hit the ground when you drop them on the right side is the waterpump,good days

Thinking a set of oggy knobs might help that

Update:

Bars arrived today and steering stems are being worked on my Ben at extreme creations. Wheel and axle arrived the other day ready for the swap. Just need some risers, cables and a new headlight.

Ordered a trailtech gauge the other day. Service by their team was excellent. I got the vapour series in black because I liked the no nonsense small design. very neat. Will update more as parts arrive

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    going good so far .
    hope the stem that ben posted on face book wasn't ur's ?

I don't have them on fb. Do tell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast