Thread: Help with GSXR 1000 K5 'CHEC' code

##SOLVED## - Help with GSXR 1000 K5 'CHEC' code

Hi Guys,

My bike has recently come up with the dreaded 'CHEC' code on the console, any advice would be appreciated. It's done it before a couple of times but would randomly come good by itself or as I was trying to trace the error through the wiring harness, but alas this time no luck.

Symptoms:
    Bike key turned on, lights on, console displays "CHEC", fuel pump doesn't prime. -similar to when the kill switch it on.

Have flicked the kill switch a few times but no change, am going to open it up and hit it som contact cleaner/put the multimeter across it this arvo, also going to put the bike in dealer mode this arvo and see if any helpful error code pops up (hasn't the last time it did this).

If anybody has a stock working ECU/ECM for this bike they want to sell cheap or lend (30 mins use, tops) so I can quickly check if the issue is with my ECU that would be a huge boon, but I'm rural NSW (Dubbo) so I'm thinking my chances are slim.

If it does turn out to be a bad ECU, any recommendations on an upgrade?

######SOLVED#######
    This has been solved for me for a year now so it looks like I found the root of my problem.

The issue reoccurred after replacing the flasher relay but I was able to find the bottom of the issue. I will post it here as I've had pm's asking for assistance...better to put the information somewhere handy rather than keep it to myself.

Under the pillion seat you can find the wiring loom running to the rear lights. There is a capped off connector on the wiring harness (they just end in small cube shaped white cap) near where the tail lights plug in. This cap has a test point in the top of it (I assume it is a test point, it has a small hole in the plastic that you can put the probe from a multimeter on) and when you bumped it with the bike running it would cut out and throw the CHEC error. Give it a wiggle and the fuel pump would prime and you could start the bike like normal. Basically, it was a loose connection and the circuit kept breaking depending on vibration or temperature... anyway my fix was some contact cleaner on the point to git rid of the little bit of corrosion that had built up and then "adjusting" the connectors in the socket to be tighter. Haven't had a problem since. Here are some full size photos of under my pillion seat, I've put simple notes on them and I hope they help anyone who would be scared or otherwise of fiddling with their wiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150426_145753.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	6490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150426_145804.jpg 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	6491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150426_145842.jpg 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	6492
    Last edited by Thomasfa18; 26-04-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: SOLVED!

Blog Entries
    This might have your answer mate: http://www.gixerboyz.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36657

I've heard of it before with a simple side stand sensor being loose.

I'll give it a test this arvo, I've been looking forward to getting back on my bike since I broke my foot earlier this year and now 'this'.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    My Sv had a similar problem. Swap out the indicator relay/side stand etc. (It's all the one unit) Relay and Bob's your uncle
    Last edited by xa-mont; 25-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.

will give it a go, do you know if those are the ones on the side or under the seat (no workshop manual)?

your going to love this: I switch the bike on, same as before no fuel prime 'chec' code on console, switch it off and put it in dealer mode, switch on and fuel pump primes and -c00 on console (no error), switch it off, take it out of dealer mode, switch back on and all good. WTF!

this is about the 3rd time this has happened in 6ish years, should i be worried that I can never find the fault.

Note: didn't even get to touching the sensors or relays to check them. Just pulled off the rubber cap for dealer mode and used a paper clip.

thoughts? advice?

New flasher relay costs like $30 can't hurt to get one... get an LED one while you're at it.

What do you mean by LED one, is that as simple as it sounds, it is just compatible with led flashers?

oh fyi, i pulled the flasher relay and bingo same symptoms. Annoying that it is as infrequent in its failures to call it out as the true problem. will take your advice and replace it anyway...only wish I knew for sure that it was the problem :/

Yeah if the indicator relay plays up you will get the CHEC on the screen. I got an LED relay from Rated-R parts and have no issues running LED indicators now either

Blog Entries
    Yea, talk to Steve at Rated-R and mention you're from here, he'll help you out with parts (he's back from holiday on the 3rd March 2014): http://www.ratedrparts.com.au/

Weekend Warrior
    this site should have everything you need on it(service manuals/fault finding etc)
    http://everythinggsxr.com/

Sorry for forgetting to come back here. The issue reoccurred after replacing the flasher relay but I was able to find the bottom of the issue. I will post it here as I've had pm's asking for assistance...better to put the information somewhere handy rather than keep it to myself.
    Under the pillion seat there are some capped off connections on the wiring harness (they just end in small cube shaped white caps) near where the tail lights plug in. These are not just safety caps to cover the connectors but are instead termination caps! 1 of the caps had a test point and spade connectors in it that were a loose fit, and when you bumped it with the bike running it would cut out and throw the CHEC error. Give it a wiggle and the fuel pump would prime and you could start the bike like normal.
    My fix was some contact cleaner and then "adjusting" the connectors in the socket to be tighter (they were similar to a spade type connector). Haven't had a problem since.

I'll try put some pictures up when I get a chance.

Nice one. Good to have someone come back with an update.

Cheers mate

Sweet this might come in handy my k6 was doing something similar last time I ran it.