Thread: Replacing the ignition switch on a trackbike?

Replacing the ignition switch on a trackbike?

My trackbike project is coming together slowly, I'm in need of a replacement for the ignition switch which didn't come with the bike.

I'll replace the starter with a custom button on the triples & use a dirtbike style killswitch.

I was thinking of one of those battery mains switches with the red plastic key, but I'm not sure it will hold up on a bike, are there any other options? Looking for low tech & idiotproof if possible!

Cheers in advance.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Those red key jobs i use heaps at work they are okay and hold up well but is a bit extreme for your application and they dont last to long with water getting in them . The marine ones are better . Jump on jaycars web page i wouldnt have thought current draw on a bike starter would be high im guessing under 100amp maybe more never really checked

Do you reckon they'd hold up to the vibration? Don't want the thing switching off down the main straight of PI!

What bike are we talking about here? You know most bikes made this side of 2000 have some sort of anti-theft system in the ignition switch? Some have a chip in the key whilst others have resistors in the ignition switch wiring to reduce the voltage to the ignitor.

Yeah, it's a Honda VFR 800 with the HISS system, but I've got a US ECU & wiring, harness, no HISS any more.

The switch just needs to power on the bike really, tapped into the +12 battery line.

The red key jobs would hold up to the vibes but there are better options to using one of them .

Why not just use an on/off style killswitch for both instead of a killswitch and an ignition switch?

More like a battery master switch & a kill switch, probably more accurate way to describe it. If it's sitting for month I can disconnect the battery, but I don't really want to kill the battery when turning off the bike in general use

No worries mate - just another option.