Thread: '94 VFR charging problems

'94 VFR charging problems

Hi all
    I'm just about to (once this issue is sorted) get my VFR on the road but the bugger isn't charging
    The plug to the reg/rec was fried so I have replaced the plug and got a new reg/rec installed but still no joy.
    All the wiring checks out ok, so I'm guessing the generator itself must be FUBAR even thought it is kicking out plenty of AC volts on all 3 windings.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what /where the issue might be?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Cleverchap; 07-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    the vfr reg/recs are real common for being pieces of crap , always a problem on them not working or over charging , I binned mine and swapped it out for a cbr (im sure that's what it was) one never looked back , vfrdiscussion forum there is heaps of threads on it

Chur bro.
    Sounds like an 2004 onwards R1 reg/rec is the way to go.
    But this issue isn't with the reg/rec as I have already swapped that out (and wired in a new plug to replace the burnt one).

I'll go ahead and do the new generator and see how I go.

Did you reposition your reg/rec to get more air flow over it?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Not really I did mount it in a better spot though under the tail plastics but the new one was twice the size in cooling fins anyways havent had a drama with it getting hot . I do recall the r1 was a good swap too but yamaha bits on a honda !!!! Spose is like a ford 9" diff in a holden its not right but it works