Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillip Island Classic

ASF Premium Full Member

Phillip Island Classic

OK Trendsetters for many years I've wanted to do this and Business & Life have got in the way, but not anymore!

Having Bike transported to S.A. (Adelaide) Flying to Adelaide with helmet & tank bag full of socks & jocks and riding to the Island Classic.

Will meet up with some fellow trendsetters along the way, perhaps a detour to Dimboola and shoot some vermin, if allowed, and on to PI.

From there I will take the Coast Road to Sydney via the Snowies and then fly back to sunny W.A.

Just putting it out there to any of you fellow trendsetters if you are interested let me know and we can organise and have a few headaches along the way otherwise I'll ride along with all me mates.

probably gone for a few weeks whatever it takes!

Island Classic is on Australia Day Long Weekend!

Bloke with a smaller stick MONO's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Already booked flights,accom, and corporate tickets $150 ea. Went last year its a must.

ASF Premium Full Member
    I missed this years but had been to the two previous years before that.

There is some really nice gear and watching Steve Martin kick Pommie arse was cool, I think he cracked a 1.28.9 or somewhere in that vicinity.

Not bad for a Kat!

Motor built by Probike from memory and an absolute Rocket.

Some really cool bikes turn up.

John McGuiness is coming next year I believe riding the Roger Winfrey Harris!

Oh and by the way Happy Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Hagarr View Post
    I missed this years but had been to the two previous years before that.

There is some really nice gear and watching Steve Martin kick Pommie arse was cool, I think he cracked a 1.28.9 or somewhere in that vicinity.

Not bad for a Kat!

Motor built by Probike from memory and an absolute Rocket.

Some really cool bikes turn up.

John McGuiness is coming next year I believe riding the Roger Winfrey Harris!

Oh and by the way Happy Birthday!
    Think that time is a bit off, best ever lap by a bike is a 1:28.66 by Stoner on qualifying tyres in 2008, lap record is 1:30.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Australia beware – Isle of Man phenomenon John McGuinness has been confirmed as a starter for the United Kingdom team in the 2014 Australian Motorcycle News International Island Classic historic motorcycle meet at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, next January 24-26.

Thanks to its extraordinary depth, Australia has completely dominated the International Trophy teams battle in the Island Classic to date, but with 41-year-old McGuiness heading Down Under to strengthen the UK roster the reign of home-town ‘terror’ could be over.

UK squad leader, Roger Winfield, is preparing a Honda powered Harris F1 for the 41 year old McGuinness, in what will be his first appearance on Australian race soil.

McGuinness is a motorcycling legend, and any Isle of Man fan knows his incredible scorecard at the world’s toughest road race - a remarkable 20 Isle of Man TT victories, and 41 podiums picked up along the way. From Lancashire, McGuinness started racing at the Island of Man back in 1996, with his first victory in 1999 when he won the Lightweight 250 TT.

His most recent TT scalp was in late August, when he took the Senior TT for the sixth time – and also set a new lap record of 131.671mph in the process. His 20 victories betters the feats of Mike Hailwood, and stands McGuinness second only to the legendary Joey Dunlop in the TT history books.

As well as ‘pure’ road racing, McGuinness, a bricklayer by trade, is also a regular on the world endurance circuit for the Honda TT Legends team, with a best finish of sixth so far in 2013.

The UK team has never lacked class at the pointy end of the International Trophy field – Jeremy McWilliams has scooped the individual honours in two of the last three years – but now it’s adding even more muscle with not only McGuiness, but also fellow British road racing guns Gary Johnson and Steve Brogan.
    Johnson won the Superstock TT at the Isle of Man in 2011, while Brogan has collected two British road racing titles in the last six years, including the ‘Evo’ Superbike class in 2010.

Also joining the UK squad are four-time British national champion, Mike Edwards, and Mick Godfrey who last year finished sixth overall in the International Trophy. There will be a total of 12 Brits in the line up, five racing in the newly formed “Experts” class, five racing in the “Clubman” category and two reserves.

“John McGuinness is a superstar, “ said UK team captain Keith Higgs. “If you have always wanted to get to the Isle of Man to see John race, you’re in luck because I’m thrilled to say that John is heading down under. Where else, apart from the Isle of Man would you want to see him race, but Phillip Island. I can’t wait to see him carve up the place.”

“We have an awesome team this year and I think we will give the Aussies a massive run for their money.”

“Jeremy is eager to win back the individual trophy, and Mick Godfrey rode particularly well last year, getting faster in every race.”

“Brogie struggled a little previously with clutch problems, but that is behind him and Gary Johnson is a very experience racer on all sorts of machinery, and an Isle of Man winner. “

“All I can say is the poms are coming, so get ready for a historic showdown!” said Higgs.

America and New Zealand also compete in the International Trophy, with the composition of their 2014 teams to be announced shortly – along with the riders who will defend Australian pride.

The UK squad are well down the road in terms of preparations with Keith Higgs’ coordinating the expats out of Australia, and UK based bike builder Roger Winfield looking after the British troops. Winfield is preparing F1 Harris machines with capacities from 1100 to 1250 cc for McGuinness and his counterparts.

So serious is the Brit campaign, that Winfield is bringing eight mechanics to Australia to ensure they have as much talent in the pits, as they do on the track.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Group ride to the event from Melbourne anyone?

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    I've been talking to this bloke a bit lately and helping him out with some Dyno stuff.

I reckon i'll be there.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyOW31 View Post
    Think that time is a bit off, best ever lap by a bike is a 1:28.66 by Stoner on qualifying tyres in 2008, lap record is 1:30.
    Happy to be informed wrong I was working on whay I thought I had remembered, Apologies, post was trying to point out they were about 5-6 seconds a lap off currrent superbike times, damn quick for '80's style bike albeit severely tweaked.

I'm up for this. I've been for the last couple of years and it's an annual event for me now cause it's fuckin awesome. The bikes are fantastic but the best thing for me is that you can get up close and personal with the riders, mechanics and everybody in the pits even during the racing. The first time I went in 2012 I helped push some blokes Katana back to the pits when he broke down whilst leading the race.
    I'll be staying at my mates gaff at the Island though.

i was going to ride over in march Danny which is well past the island classic...i will see who is doing the transport to SA cause its gotten fuckin expensive these last couple of years ..what about flying to melbourne and hiring bikes and stay at the gap campground..dunno just not looking forward to the nullabour in january

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
    i was going to ride over in march Danny which is well past the island classic...i will see who is doing the transport to SA cause its gotten fuckin expensive these last couple of years ..what about flying to melbourne and hiring bikes and stay at the gap campground..dunno just not looking forward to the nullabour in january
    You doing Nullarbor in January?

no mate march fuck 40 degrees all day it would be like being at work

Bloke with a smaller stick BillyWhizz888's Avatar
    no mate march fuck 40 degrees all day it would be like being at work
    at work.... make that 50 degrees
    Fcuk Off Ya Twat

YOU GOT IT. mel...Dan so where are you up to with this

Weekend Warrior
    Might be up for this Danny, keep me posted!

ASF Premium Full Member
    YOU GOT IT. mel...Dan so where are you up to with this
    I haven't booked yet Mozz because I'm still deciding which bike to take but definitely going one way or another.

Sensible option is Bandit, GSXR1100 (Fairing but cramped) is a maybe but I really need to ride the B-King and check how it feels and is OK with the Longer swinger lower stance and also shitty fuel tank size, so in a nutshell just waiting to get better after my op so I can do some test riding.

Pricing for transport is not cheap but I priced for the King so I don't know if the others are any cheaper if by much but I still reckon its the best option, I have driven the nullarbor and if you can't sit on 140-160 on the bike it would be slow and boring as fuck so don't see any point in flattening a tyre and being bored.

I've got another three and half weeks before I'm supposed to actually do anything that may damage my op stuff so will keep posted.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMax View Post
    Might be up for this Danny, keep me posted!
    Watch this space!

Will do!

ASF Premium Full Member
    OK heres the Itinerary!

start Adelaide to Dimboola (as long as Rod's back hangs in there)

Dimboola to Bendigo via Dunolly.

Bendigo to Phillip Island

Phillip Island Classic three days!

Phillip Island to Lakes Entrance

Lakes Entrance to Jindabyne

Jindabyne (via Hall) to Bathurst.

Bathurst to Sydney via maybe Macquarie Pass or similar.

Fly out of Sydney to Perth and send bike back to Perth from there.

ASF Premium Full Member
    OK bike booked to Adelaide, will arrive on the 14th January.

Any of you S.A. guys have any preferred routes to Phillip Island otherwise it will be a random trip!

Bloke with a smaller stick MONO's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Only there for the two nights three days, should see see you there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast