Thread: Fuel Leak?

Weekend Warrior
    Skidney, Slidney, Sidernee etc, NSW, Guadeloupe.

Fuel Leak?

Just got back from being away for work the last month.

Priorities were to dump the bags and go for a ride. I went straight to the garage to fire up the old TRX 850. Noticed a slight fuel smell and didn't think anything of it. She fired up first time, but the smell got a lot worse immediately. I looked down and there was fuel dripping everywhere. Shut her down and got on the ground for a look. Couldn't see exactly where it was coming from but it did look like there was fuel on the bottom of the headers.

I do need to give it a good look over, but if anyone can offer any advice as to where to start I'd be pretty happy, cause I'm a complete mong when it comes to shit like this.

Needless to say, I'm a little paranoid of starting it again but I need her up and raring to go for NFR!

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    On the Trx there is two retainining bolts at the front of the fuel tank, if you remove them and remove the seat you can raise the fuel tank to have a look underneath. Where abouts in Sydney are you? One of us should be able to help ya fix it.

Weekend Warrior
    Righto, just had a good look and couldn't see anything visible.

Thought I'd give her a whirl. Pushed the go button and fuel came pissing out from the link pipe. I changed out the exhausts a couple of weeks ago. Kept the original headers but didn't put a gasket between the headers and link pipe. So pretty friggin lucky in that respect!

I'll rip off the headers and have a look soon.

Rod - I'm at Mortdale, so if you can help out, there'll be bulk piss on my tab at the NFR!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Hang on - you've got fuel pissing out your exhaust? That means the carbs are flooding....pretty bad.

If it's been sitting for a time the fuel has probably evaporated out of the carb bowls and left some varnish / residue which is blocking the float valves and keeping them open. Hence the flooding.

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers Hillsy. I was thinking the float valves may have been clogged or there may be a hole in the diaphragm on the fuel pump. I'll do some more looking.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    dont turn it over again with the plugs in ,if the cylinder is full of fuel it will seriously fuck ur donk,,and check the oil level ,if its higher than usual u have fuel in ur sump ,id rplace (+filter) it anyway myself just in case

The carbs are pump fed, so they won't drain a tankful of gas into the sump when the bike is off. Still, not bad advice davio.

did you turn your fuel tap off before you went away for a month???? if not then you may have nothing wrong except a flooded motor, time for a service then, new oil and filter.

Weekend Warrior
    Thats the trouble with the TRX. There's an on, reserve and a prime. Left it on the whole time. Theres a bloke coming to check it out next thursday.
    Fingers crossed I'll be riding on Friday.

goog idea getting it looked at, may be as simple as a stuffed fuel tap

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    Fuck mate, hope you get it fixed, would try to get over to help out but you're a little distance away from me I think. I've got a bike to finish for Cooma and a track day on Sunday. If you can get it to Maroubra we can get weasel and chase over also to check it out.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the offer Rod. I really do appreciate it, but I don't have any other wheels to get her to you.
    This bloke should have me sorted out on Thursday though, so see ya's at Pheasants Nest!

Being a dry sump motor, checking oil levels won't tell you much at all, I reckon Hillsy could be on the money. Australian fuel is pretty poor quality and gums very easily. Premium unleaded only has a fresh shelf life of approx 2 months, who knows how long it sits in the servos water logged tanks before you get it.
    I read of study a year or so ago that tested fuels from 55 counries for octain ratings, contaminates, etc. Australian fuel ranked 33rd behind most of east block Europe. Pretty stupid considering we make our own.