Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a GSX1100ET for flying mile and a bit of drag racing

Weekend Warrior
    Well not much progress recently, too much DIY to do! Anyway, I received a parcel this morning:

Can you guess what it is yet???
    Couldn't wait to get rid of the packaging . Here it is, made to fit a GSXR1100 Slabby dragbike.

And next to a stock Bandit 1200 arm. 10" longer than a stock arm

Had to widen the frame a bit to fit it in. Will be making correct size top hat spacers to fit the stock bearings.

Fitted swingarm spindle and arm into modded frame and tried a spare 17" by 6" Triumph wheel, with 200mm tyre, that I happened to have lying around. Won't be using this combo though!

Only managed to lower the front end about 3/4", should be about 4" lower eventually.

Niiiiiccccceeeee
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers mate. Hope you're making more progress with yours.

Weekend Warrior
    My wonderful wife overheard a conversation about my racebike. I have been offered a free paintjob and want it in it's original Deuce colours, as raced in Pro Stock by Pip Higham. She ran upstairs and found a copy of Superbike magazine from December 1980.Hopefully here is the front cover;

Weekend Warrior
    Well it was raining all day today , so I completed a job on somebody else's carbs and then started work on the racebike cylinder head.
    Gave it a quick clean with a plastic fibre wheel in my drill.

Cleaned up the exhaust threads.
    Then before I removed the valves, I thought I'd check how well sealed to the head they already were. I poured paraffin into the inlet and then exhaust ports and then checked the combustion chambers. No paraffin at all.

I removed the paraffin and then thought I'd have a look at the valve seats anyway. I found the valve spring compressor that I'd bought 30 years ago to work on my original sprint bike.

Sure enough, the valves had recently been lapped to the head. Saving me a normally laborious job.

With the inlet valves out, I felt around the area where the valve seats meet the head and there was a ridge on both valve ports.
    I set up my Dremel type tool with it's flexible drive and ground the seal and head until there was no step all around it.

Was going to clean up the casting marks in the inlet ports , but it's already been done!

I know I should grind the tops off the valve guides and blend them to the head, but I'm not that skilled with the grinding tools and I don't wanna risk doing any damage.

Weekend Warrior
    Just had an eMail from Pendine Landspeed Racers Club. My entry has been acceped. I'm in!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Sweet :-)

ASF Premium Full Member MattyDucati's Avatar
    Comin along nicely mate
    Cheers Matt

I hate being bipolar, its awesome!

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers chaps.

Weekend Warrior
    Had a bit of time in the garage today. I donned my thermals and decided with a bit of encouragement, to grind the tops off the valve guides and blend them into the head. Mainly used small emery tubes on my Dremel , but had to resort to small grinding wheels at one point to remove enough steel from the valve guides. A bit more work to do , but I was sneezing too much and my snot was freezing on the end of my nose.

Managed to blend most of the ally around the stems , but need a bit more alloy removal before they're finished.

Weekend Warrior
    Well not a lot of progress this week. Dry weather , so been up the scaffold doing some cladding work.
    Got two parcels today and a small parcel earlier this week.
    Two swingarm spacers for the Gixxer 1100 arm fitting to ET frame.

5.5" Gixxer 1100 rear wheel, complete.

Star Racing 4 into 1 system and ET tail unit and light.

Thankyou very, very much to some very generous guys in the west country and Northumberland.

Blog Entries
    Win! Good to know somebody cares about your project. One step further....

Ahh Northumberland. Always reminds me of the roller coaster roads and the cops waving me past at 110 MPH. Hope things haven't changed that much in the last 20 years.

Weekend Warrior
    Wish I was a bit closer mate. I'm stuck in southern softieland with these heathens. Been well impressed with the help I've had off total strangers. Mind you, it's all the small bits I need that will ramp the cost up. £200 so far!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12