Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yella's Drag Busa

Yella's Drag Busa

Hello again.
    As some may know I have purchased a Busa to turn into a drag bike
    Its a 02 stat write off frame with Pete's 99 (3 cylinder) motor. Don't have it in the shed just yet but will not be long .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76996_3951600240609_1247767896_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	7020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	407183_3955703183180_1838401496_n.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	7021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	532460_3884679647636_244626938_n.jpg 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	7022

As you can see it has a couple of scratches and small marks on the plastic but nothing to worry about. Will eventually get/find/make some race glass for it anyway

Figure I can get Pete's motor going one way or another with a bit of shed time and should be able to pull some good numbers from the Bus and have a shit load of fun.
    Final set up is still to be worked out but will want some sort of assistance either turbo or NOS later down the track so that should be fun.

Anyway going to start with getting it running correct , stripping anything that's not needed, re-gearing -1 +4 or 5 from what I have found so far is good and maybe lower and stretch ( see how it goes)
    I am open to any and all suggestions, hints, info from people in the know ( or anyone for that matter) as I know nothing about the busa except people say they are fast. So let them fly
    And if anyone has a soft copy of the workshop manual kicking around that probably wouldn't hurt aswell.
    Will keep ya posted with times and mods as it progresses.
    Last edited by Yella; 22-08-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    So you selling the 1216 Gixer then mate ?

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    good stuff yella im sure a man of your talents will get it sorted

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

1216 is still with El Hefty for the moment logistic's of it all got in the way. if its still around in a couple of months I will see what I can do.

Thanks Rod should get it sorted. Stinging to get into it.
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011

RevHead
    ok come Wednesday night im fitting the busa at the rear of the picci with its motor ,wiring ,and getting it to a point were it is all back together ,here,s were im at with it

Weekend Warrior
    Get the front end strapped down and the back end lengthened about 10 inches. Lower the back end and stiffen the shock , but don't lock it up. Ditch at least one disc and caliper and any other weight you don't need. Weight is everything with dragbikes. Run an airshifter and a lockup clutch if you can afford it.

Blog Entries
    sorry but i have to giggle at people takeing off one disk on a bike like this to save wieght
    get the bike running right leave it close to stock and see what you get it to do
    become a better drag racer before you start the ive got a bigger dick and must have type raceing i see at the track
    if its a track only thing just lower the front and yes you will prob end up with a longer swing arm
    lock up is good slider is better but its easy to spend 3k by the time you do 2 step bigger housing etc
    I have seen so many people that just poor more money into a bike instead of just getting the basics right
    sorry rant over lol
    From what i have seen of you yella I dont think there will be a prob :-)
    have you thought about class or you just want to see what you can run ?

RevHead
    i spent today bolting the busa back together for Ian,will paint the fuel tank tomorrow ,and sort a few more things out onit

RevHead
    also changed the front tyre to one thats round not lumpy, so it will feel 100% better

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Quote Originally Posted by RevHead View Post
    i spent today bolting the busa back together for Ian,will paint the fuel tank tomorrow ,and sort a few more things out onit
    Have you got some orange paint left over

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    have you thought about class or you just want to see what you can run ?
    Gunna get the weight as low as possible but don't like the idea of running one disc I know how much work the 2 on the 7 do when I need to pull up.Im going to go low and long but I want to run hand clutch foot shift and see how quick I can get then look at shifters and the like later.

Going to see what I can run at first then look at what class. I have a mate thats buildng a 1100 and we plan to do a good set of tests first then slowly do some more serious meets

Blog Entries
    sounds like a plan :-)
    most of the class's that you will look at are dial yr own so constant is more important
    at a old sckool meet one time some one on a 80cc 2 stroke won the day at 26 sec lol
    in the final this bike was v joey on his 8 sec efe funny to watch i can tell u

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Removing a disc to save weight ?
    Some guys with Busa's are adding lead weights "Bricks" to Busa's
    and others have used dumbbell weights bolted through the front wheel spindle.
    Depends on what wheelbase you have and what your limited too.
    I've found it easier to find traction than to keep the front end down on Busa's.

Lots of folk seem keen to "fast track" to quicker speeds and lower times
    with bolt-on's and mods. I see new guys at the drags with sticky tyres,
    strapped front ends, lowering links, mirrors removed, quick shifters etc etc.

If your not running a VERY low 10 on a Busa or B-King in FULL street trim,
    full height, street tyre preasures etc etc then YOU are the bikes restriction,
    any modded Bus or King (long arm/lowered) not running in the 9's needs a
    better rider.

Makes me smile to see guys with there "set up for the strip" bike beaten
    by guys on stock bikes.

I'd say do very limited mod's to the bike untill you've put in a LOT of run's
    and a lot of time at the strip. Untill you have some good times (very low
    10's as it is) and your very consistant.

Good thread Yella,
    I'd love a serious Drag Busa.
    Will keep an eye on this.
    Last edited by Tony Nitrous; 20-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    sounds like a plan :-)
    most of the class's that you will look at are dial yr own so constant is more important
    at a old sckool meet one time some one on a 80cc 2 stroke won the day at 26 sec lol
    in the final this bike was v joey on his 8 sec efe funny to watch i can tell u
    They are the worst races, I pipped a postie bike by about .1 in the finals once, I couldn't believe how far away he was when my light went green.

This is useful http://www.gearingcommander.com/, NOS seems to be the best bang for your buck after you do all the normal mods. Press button shifters look nice to have too. I'm a big believer in ride it there ride it home though.

RevHead
    one thing i can say about the motor in this bike, is ,it is an animal ,compared to the motor ive fitted to my bike ,the power from 99 busa to a k2 busa is so different,Ian will get it sorted and itl make him grin ,

RevHead

got the tank painted today ,just a few small things to finish off tomorrow then off to a yella home!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StuNVA View Post
    They are the worst races, I pipped a postie bike by about .1 in the finals once, I couldn't believe how far away he was when my light went green.

This is useful http://www.gearingcommander.com/, NOS seems to be the best bang for your buck after you do all the normal mods. Press button shifters look nice to have too. I'm a big believer in ride it there ride it home though.
    bet that was a pain, funny to see not so funny to race lol
    nos isnt with out its set backs but it do allways look good bang for buck :-)

Weekend Warrior
    Is this bike gonna be ridden on the road? If not, why carry weight that you don't need? In 1983 I ran a standard 998 Katana engine with modded CV carbs and a V&H system in a Pro Stock chassis. You don't need twin discs on a dragbike , so get rid of one and a caliper. I got rid of the starter motor, big battery and the alternator. Headlight, tailight, standard steel tank and any brackets that weren't needed. The less the bike weighs, the less power(insert money here) is needed for quick times. I ran 10.7 ETs with a stock 998 engine and 10.37 with an air shifter. I did run a longer swingarm with a 150 tyre. The bike didn't wheelie or spin up the rear tyre. It just went forward. Isn't that the idea or do you want to spend money on engine mods.? All I did was dial the cams in!!!

I know those aren't CVs, but you get the idea?
    Last edited by megawatt; 22-12-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Dont think this bike will be road registered ?
    as he mentioned in the original post it was a write off ?

I raced 80's GSX and own one now, with and without long arms,
    also raced two Busa's and a B-King, stock wheelbase.
    Old and new are VERY different animals and behave very differently.

Front end weight is very relevent to wheelbase.
    If your racing in a class with a limited length then its pointless removing
    a disc or front end weight. In stock or restricted classes its not unusual
    to ADD weight, a Busa can be made to make plenty plenty of ponys and
    get plenty of grip, then try and keep the front end down.
    http://www.ballzmotorsports.com/Broc...9-p/930229.htm

Yella, are you on http://www.dragbike.com.au/ ?
    Last edited by Tony Nitrous; 22-12-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Bikes not going to be rego'd just raced.
    Yeh on dragbike.com.au lots of reading no posting as yet. Also on www.psychobike.com heaps of reading to be done.

Picking up the the bike tomorrow nothing like a Sunday road trip . Found a PDF of manual so thats good.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast