Thread: Victorian Viv inspection problems.

Victorian Viv inspection problems.

Hey guys,
    I bought a 09 KTM rc8 in victoria which was classed as a repareable write off in qld. I spent $4.500 turning it into a streetfighter which was an 8 month project.
    I now want to register it here in vic.
    I have a road worthy certificate.
    I had a viv inspection done at southland Auto motive and it failed because apparently, according to vic roads specifications, it needs to be exactly stock standard as it was prior to being classed as a repairable write off, even the same colour.
    Has anybody gone through this process?
    Does anybody know anyway around this??
    Your comments will be much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 547052_3402365877981_631095988_n.jpg  
    Last edited by Fireant; 06-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    who was the last person to be done by this ?

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    as far as i know mate it need to appear stock standard ie. stock fairings and colour indicators and all that shit ...oh and i want pics of this beast so post em up

btw welcome aboard

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    that would be Trav (xamont)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    who was the last person to be done by this ?

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Welcome mate, I do suggest you go and intro yourself asap.

However, in regards to your problem, when I did the VIV on my bike I actually brought it back to stock and once it was registered I then fightered it. Now the issue is that the regulations are a bit vague on this and are subject to interpretation by the mechanic who is performing the VIV.

For example Jo (GSXAR) managed to get her bike go through the VIV as a fighter, but then Trav (xamont) had changed the tail which they accepted, however they wanted the fairing that he had aquired for the VIV that was in very good condition, to be painted as it was when it was purchased.

So in answer to your question, it all depends on the mechanic. A lot of people play it safe and bring the bike back to stock as there are a few mechanics that can be assholes about the whole thing.

This has been extracted from the Vicroads website:

Reasons why a vehicle can fail a VIV
    inspection
    A vehicle can fail a VIV inspection due to:

irregularities in its identification

• structural deficiencies or inadequately repaired work
    • insufficient paperwork provided
    If your vehicle has failed a VIV inspection, you will be asked to fix the deficiencies identified in the inspection report.

Nowhere in there does it actually mention the bike being brought back to manufacturers standard, however it has actually mentoined that the deficiencies need to been noted in the report. Have they given you a specific reason why the bike failed?

hey mate. i'm the poor fucker who had the same issue.

Pretty much the words i kept being told was "pre-accident condition" it doesn't make logical sense with the reason for a VIV (to varify that the bike is in fact that bike and no parts are stolen/rebirthed) but that's what they said and i couldn't afford to get someone else to VIV it with the chance of getting assigned the same dude and/or having the same problem. so i just did it.

He was happy with rattle can paint work (in very close colours to original) sadly however this turned the $600 worth of quite decent condition fairings i had into worthless pieces of shit.

Blog Entries
    Ant was asking questions over on Fagbook so i directed him here for some more serious replies.

Welcome to ASF mate.

Thanks everyone.

The reasons he has given in the report are:
    Vehicle to be returned to condition prior to incident.
    Fairings to be fitted and painted.
    All scratches to be repaired.
    Nose cone assembly fitted.
    Tax invoices for all above.

I even tried to book a re inspection with another mechanic but the viv inspection department said that it has to go back to the previous one.
    I am considering writing a letter to the vic roads registration policy department to get a more clearer answer.
    I dont really know what else I can do, except maybe moving to Tassie and trying my luck there, ha ha!

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    welcome mate, had my own troubles at Transport SA with an already repaired NSW bike luckily I didn't have to "restore" it to get re-rego here just paper shuffling for about a week.

it's a pity commonsense can't be the basis for all the govt regs they like making but no that would put a whole generation of box tickers out of work.

maybe find someone kind enough to "sell" you the bits for the inspection then "sell" the bits straight back to them?

Yeah, i was thinking about that but these bikes are pretty rare.

Blog Entries
    Not only rare, it's on my list of most wanted project bikes.

id just take it back and say well this is post accident ?? how are they to know it wasnt fightered in the first place !!