Thread: Best Langauge learning Method

ASF Premium Full Member DCRacing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best Langauge learning Method

OK, My daughter is having a few issues with learning German at school, so i thought i would try to help her by learning it as well and trying encourage her to put a bit more effort in to the classes. BTW she is only 7, i guess i had also better start learning some asian language as well seeing as the red head wants us all to enter the asian century.........
    Back on to the topic tho, what tool or langauge program would be best for me to try and pick up a bit of German and help her out a bit. I also want to get a handle on a few other languages just to swear at people and they don't know what i am saying and think i am sophisticated.... lol
    What The...?

Thats the trouble with reality........not everyone participates

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Hogan's Heroes and Commando Comics

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha fucking hell large

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I nose nuffink Herr Kernel

The best thing for me when I was a kid was actually watching TV in the language. You'll be amazed on how you start picking things up of you are enjoying it

Blog Entries
    Yea, best to know somebody from that country or visit it. You HAVE to pick up bits then. Of course; that's not very convenient though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Yea, best to know somebody from that country or visit it. You HAVE to pick up bits then. Of course; that's not very convenient though.....
    When I worked in Germany I could get by quite easily, trouble is you forget pretty quickly after you leave the environment.
    Funny thing is, the only German I remember now is how to order a beer.

There's lots of different language exchanges around - some over skype on the web and some run by local community centre. You'll have to check out local ones to you but here are a couple internet ones;

http://www.language-exchanges.org/
    http://www.monash.edu.au/health-well...-exchange.html

Quote Originally Posted by DCRacing View Post
    OK, My daughter is having a few issues with learning German at school, so i thought i would try to help her by learning it as well and trying encourage her to put a bit more effort in to the classes. BTW she is only 7, i guess i had also better start learning some asian language as well seeing as the red head wants us all to enter the asian century.........
    Back on to the topic tho, what tool or langauge program would be best for me to try and pick up a bit of German and help her out a bit. I also want to get a handle on a few other languages just to swear at people and they don't know what i am saying and think i am sophisticated.... lol
    My daughter was learning Japanese at school, and the thing that worked best for her was taking in a Japanese student for six months, might be a bit more difficult getting a German student though.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyOW31 View Post
    My daughter was learning Japanese at school, and the thing that worked best for her was taking in a Japanese student for six months, might be a bit more difficult getting a German student though.
    Especially when you specify they have to be 17 and always wear their uniform in the house..

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Especially when you specify they have to be 17 and always wear their uniform in the house..
    She was 17 actually, and always wore those white sox pulled up to the knee.

Gotta love cultural enrichment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    There's lots of different language exchanges around - some over skype on the web and some run by local community centre. You'll have to check out local ones to you but here are a couple internet ones;

http://www.monash.edu.au/health-well...-exchange.html

That's bloody great advice Steve, never heard of that before. Thanks mate.

I always found it easier when you're living in the country of origin but in your case i would suggest 5 words a week and 5 phrases you use daily per week to start then 5 words a day as she becomes more familliar and can put her own phrases and/or sentences together.
    Learn with her and she will learn quicker as she will have someone to converse with.
    Go buy a post it note pad and stick them on everything in the house from the fridge to the toilet labelling everthing in the foriegn language and only use the phrases relative to those objects in the chosen language.
    Pick phrases that you both use everyday, "would you like a drink", "can i be excused, i need to use the toilet" "Dad i set the cat on fire" etc.
    If you are both militant about it, you, and by sheer inquisitive default, everyone else in the house will be talking in german or whatever language u choose in no time.

Use it as much as you can. You will NOT forget english..

Weekend Warrior
    I agree with Tony but think Mandarin is the one to go for. An Asian exchange student is the easiest way to learn in Oz. Other options are go and live there for a year or marry a Chinese girl . Japanese is ok but as China is one of our major trading partners and getting bigger, Mandarin will be more useful.

Blog Entries
    Got to love the instant and insightful response from this site when an obscure question is asked, I will now pay more attention to Hogan's Heros and get out all the old comics i can find............What about Mandarin tho large?
    Thanks for the help Lads
    What The...?

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    Why do they teach our kids German?
    I can think of a number of languages that would be more advantageous.
    1 Mandarin Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 1151 China, Malaysia, Taiwan
    2 English Indo-European Latin 1000 USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand
    3 Spanish Indo-European Latin 500 Mexico, Central and South America, Spain
    4 Hindi Indo-European Devanagari 490 North and Central India
    5 Russian Indo-European Cyrillic 277 Russia, Central Asia
    6 Arabic Afro-Asiatic Arabic 255 Middle East, Arabia, North Africa
    7 Portuguese Indo-European Latin 240 Brazil, Portugal, Southern Africa
    8 Bengali Indo-European Bengali 215 Bangladesh, Eastern India
    9 French Indo-European Latin 200 France, Canada, West Africa, Central Africa
    10 Malay, Indonesian Malayo-Polynesian Latin 175 Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore
    11 German

Number 11 hey well there is 10 good reasons not to waste your time learning German, looks like Spanish is the go if you don't want to learn mandarin.
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Blog Entries
    Yeah spanish is on my list, just need to help my daughter out at the moment........
    No idea why they need to learn it tho.....
    What The...?

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    Pro active parenting they call that, don't let them teach your kids what you don't want them too.
    Be proactive in what your kids learn, I believe its your job as a good parent.
    At that age they need all the best direction as there at their most receptive.
    And better people they will make.
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Another option is the Rosetta Stone on-line or on DVD option. I used it before I left to live in a Spanish speaking country and it helped. www.therosettastone.com.au
    You will know you're getting it when you start to have dreams in another language. Learning from a native speaker is always the best but not always convenient.
    I learnt German in high school and in my travels around the world it proved to be almost useless to know. Spanish or Mandarin is the go IMO.