Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZRX1000R pretty much finished now

Is the spacing on the zx10 tb's correct?
    I'd like a 1224 but the $$.
    As far as I know the zzr box has the same 1st and 6th (5th zrx) gear ratios.
    In regards to the efi had you looked at the busa setup?

Weekend Warrior
    THe fuel injection system from the Z1000 is very easy to graft onto other Kawasakis, it shares pretty much all the sensors with other Kwaks of similar age. The cam sensor is the same as ZX9R F model, the crank sensor is also the same as the ZX9R, the temp sensors are the same as ZX9R, most of them are the same as other Kawasakis, the speedo pick up is identical to the Suzuki item. Personally I prefer running flatslides to FI, but that's just me, and the Mikuni TMR are pretty much the best you can get, I think they're much more user friendly than the FCR, and the adjustability of the accellerator pump makes them very easy to set up for road use.
    Last edited by Dynomutt; 20-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    EVLZX, ZZR1200 crank is lighter so it will let the engine rev quicker, the ZZR clutch is bigger but will not fit the ZRX12 crank, the ZRX gearbox input shaft is different to the ZZR12 so to use the bigger clutch I need to change the crank and gearbox. So I get a bigger clutch, lighter crank and 6 speed in 1 hit. The 1200 engines have a different spacing to the 1100's so they can't be mixed and matched. The ZX10R TB's are almos an identicle match to the ZZR12/ZRX12 spacing, much closer then the GSXR/Hayabusa TB's that need re-racking. The current ZRX's have a Z1000 engine fitted but are not available in Aust. I got the crank trigger wheels and cam position sensor adaptor from the guy that did the busa EFI conversion. I want to keep my ZRX looking old school with its stock gauges so can't use the Busa set up anyway because you need the Busa gauges to run the EMS.

Dynomutt, this is all very good info. I have spoken to a bloke running the same set up engine as mine with 41 FCR's fitted, makes 196whp but he said its a go switch, not an accelerator anymore. I'm hoping with EFI I don't loose the nice low rpm control I have with the CV's. I can ride it as a commuter under 5000rpm but after that it gets pretty hectic. The other problem I have is fuel quality, running 12:1 comp it seems to be prone to detonation if the premium fuel is not quite good enough. I was even considering buying BP100 to try out. Seems like the octane changes from week to week even buying fuel at the same servo's.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynomutt View Post
    Well here's mine
    All stock bodywork apart, all painted in Eddie Lawson replica paintwork.
    I dont remember ELR's having that tank badge.
    Very funny. Nice touch.

Last edited by Tony Nitrous; 21-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Tony, it's very subtle, but quite appropriate given how much fun the bike is to ride!!
    As for the flatslides, I'm not a fan of the Keihin FCR, I much prefer the mikuni TMR series and consider them a far superior carb. They are much better to ride low down than FCR, yet give a real kick in the arse when you whack it open. It is possible to set the accelerator pumps to come in exactly when you want them to, and drop out when you want them to, which a allows you to fine tune the snap throttle response. I've ridden with TMR Mikunis for the last 6 years, I used them when I was commuting in the city with no issues at all. I always run ANY flatslide with velocity stacks rather than pod filters, and use either Ramair or Pipercross dual foam socks stretched over the stacks, I've had no issues with either low speed running or flatout wide open throttle, although having my own dyno lets me get them set up beautifully.
    I did consider retaining the injection system, and looking for larger throttle bodies, but i like the oldskool look of the flatslides, and I like the performance.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Issues View Post
    EVLZX, ZZR1200 crank is lighter so it will let the engine rev quicker, the ZZR clutch is bigger but will not fit the ZRX12 crank, the ZRX gearbox input shaft is different to the ZZR12 so to use the bigger clutch I need to change the crank and gearbox. So I get a bigger clutch, lighter crank and 6 speed in 1 hit. The 1200 engines have a different spacing to the 1100's so they can't be mixed and matched. The ZX10R TB's are almos an identicle match to the ZZR12/ZRX12 spacing, much closer then the GSXR/Hayabusa TB's that need re-racking. The current ZRX's have a Z1000 engine fitted but are not available in Aust. I got the crank trigger wheels and cam position sensor adaptor from the guy that did the busa EFI conversion. I want to keep my ZRX looking old school with its stock gauges so can't use the Busa set up anyway because you need the Busa gauges to run the EMS.

Dynomutt, this is all very good info. I have spoken to a bloke running the same set up engine as mine with 41 FCR's fitted, makes 196whp but he said its a go switch, not an accelerator anymore. I'm hoping with EFI I don't loose the nice low rpm control I have with the CV's. I can ride it as a commuter under 5000rpm but after that it gets pretty hectic. The other problem I have is fuel quality, running 12:1 comp it seems to be prone to detonation if the premium fuel is not quite good enough. I was even considering buying BP100 to try out. Seems like the octane changes from week to week even buying fuel at the same servo's.
    When I initially built the 650 version, I suffered with detonation under load in the higher gears, I pulled a couple of degrees out of the ignition timing by slotting the mounting for the pick up, which didn't really help the situation much. What did make the difference was fitting the CR9EKPA plugs from the ZX12R, the nose of the plug is very slightly protruded compared to the CR9E plugs. This placed the spark almost 1mm further into the combustion chamber, which cured the detonation issue and allowed me to run the advance that I wanted to run. Even with the higher compression Wiseco pistons I had no issues with detonation although I was running 95RON standard unleaded. On the new Z1000 based motor, I have used stock pistons for the moment with the base gasket removed to lift the C/R slightly, again running on 95RON fuel with 38degrees ignition I don't have any detonation issues. I will try some more advance when I get the ZX9R F model cams that I'm looking for.
    Over the winter I will be having a custom set of JE pistons made which will be a higher C/R but still on a stock 77mm (953cc) along with the knife edged polished and balanced crank and rods, and the lighter flywheel from the ZX9R. I don't see the point in the expense of reboring/replating to gain 20cc with the 78mm (973cc) kit, and I don't want to use the Muzzy 79mm (998cc) kit, so I'm going to stick with the stock bore size. I reckon with this set up I should see somewhere around 160bhp from it, which in a package that weighs only 170kgs wet, will be plenty. Anyway I'm having some new intake stubs made for the carbs to allow me to fit the nitrous fogger plates without moving the carbs from their current position as it is pretty tight under the tank, then i'll fit the gas kit I have sat under the bench.

Weekend Warrior
    I have CR9EK plugs and it mainly seems to depend on fuel on the day, some tanks it runs great other tanks detonates. I will try the plugs you mentioned and see how it goes. I agree with the light weight power ratio, sounds awsome. I still want 1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12