Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1994 zxr 750

Weekend Warrior

94 zxr750

I thought I would get around to starting my build thread, I have pretty well worn out my introduction thread>

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...ng-4-a-project

So far I have gathered heaps of useful info along the way from this forum, Some of it can be found looking at many other builds etc around the net, A big thanks to those who contributed to my intro thread

I started off with a rather neglected bike that instantly made me feel sorry for it & I had to take it home as soon as I saw it + the price was good & it was local so that was a bonus

I only have an original pic of it from the previous owner possibly when he bought it, It looked like it would have been rather nice back then, It was not this tidy when I got it, Most of the fairing is rather stuffed which works out nice anyway for building a streetfighter, I was too keen to strip it when I got home & never got pics, It was undressed in about an hour

I planned on just removing all the crap I did not need & changing the dash/speedo & headlight setup, I told my missus (& myself) I would just tidy it up a little bit & I wont have to go too far with it, I think I was lying to the both of us, I started cleaning finding things that were not quite up to standard (I get pretty fussy & some people including some who have never even met me have mentioned I may have OCD) I started polishing the frame & wheels then.....Well you know how it goes, I now have a list of stuff to be changed, Fixed or upgraded etc

This is my list which will be edited as I go along

Bar mounts RHK
    Bars FLY AERO TAPERED Carbon Fiber Sno X Mountain Bend 20 Degree (part# 18-95298C)
    Grips Pro-Grip 732
    ZX14 Clutch & brake Master cylinders
    ZX14 Levers Shorty CNC Black
    Brake & clutch hoses HEL - Kawasaki Lime Green
    Headlight - Polisport MMX
    Digital speedo - Trailtech Vapor Stealth 752-600 & 022-PDA Dash
    Headers Delkevic Stainless ZX9R
    Muffler Danmoto JISU ZX9R
    520 Front Sprocket Renthal Ultralight 15 tooth
    520 Rear Sprocket AFAM 45 tooth
    520 Chain EK MVXZ
    LED blinkers
    LED Taillight
    Billet mirror mounts
    Koso GT mirrors
    Team Skeen Racing Delrin swingarm crash protector spools / bobbins

Air filter UNI OEM style NU-2376
    Rear brake pads EBC FA161HH
    Throttle cable Motion Pro 03-0214

Dyna Ignition
    DDK2-7 programmable performance ignition
    DC1-2 3.0 OHM Dual output mini coils
    DW-800 Grey silicone 8mm leads
    K&N KN303 Oil Filter
    Hot Cams Shim Kit HCSHIM01

Smaller / lighter (0.8kg) Battery, SSB / superstartbattery ( SKYRICH ) LITX9BS LITHIUM ION ULTRALITE

Not the best pics, Taken when it was just about dark but I used a photo editor program to brighten them up

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZXR 750 FIGHTER BUILD.jpg   ZXR 750 FIGHTER.jpg   ZXR 750 FIGHTER FRAME POLISH.jpg  
    Last edited by NINJAINOZ; 01-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.

RevHead
    real good starting point

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Pete

The first major part to any street fighter I spose is the bar setup so that was the first part I attacked to start getting it back together

There is many different ways to fit some bar risers to the stock triple clamp, I have read about people removing the gussets under the top clamp then filling or welding pieces in then drilling, Would be nice to just buy a top clamp ready made with built in risers but considering it would cost about 1/3 of what the bike cost me I decided not to take the easy way + most of the top yokes I found have the bar mounts way back & they dont look right to me

Bit of a rant here but WTF is a yoke doing on a motorbike anyway?>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoke

If I happen to fit a pair of oxen to the front of my bikes I might start using yokes

In the 15-20 years of playing with bikes (Mostly dirtbikes & some Harleys) I have always known the top triple clamp to be a triple clamp, Who went & named them after an animal/cart apparatus? Must be a pommy thing like spindles that has made its way here too? We have axles they have spindles? They reckon we are backwards?>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_(textiles)

Spindles & yokes dont belong on cars or motorbikes?

Anyway back to what I was saying.....I took a lot of measurements on the top of the clamp to locate the spot on the bottom of the top clamp I wanted to drill, Drilled 2x 12mm holes through the top from my measurements, I sat the RHK risers in position & they were spot on where I wanted them to be, I then made some spacers out of 20mm thick billet alloy that I happen to have lots of, I cut 2x 1" x 1" pieces then shaped them to fit into the front recess's on the top clamp, I could have them welded in maybe later but they will work fine for now & I am confident that the top clamp & mount setup will be very strong & safe the way I have fitted the risers

I happened to have a new set of cheap fatbars sitting in the shed so I could see how it felt with the bars on, These are much too tall to run on it but they will do to get it setup until my new bars arrive + it certainly makes it much easier to move the bike round, Clipons suck unless you are doing 150k's

With the bars setup I am able to measure up the clutch & front brake hoses & Re-routing the throttle cable fix's that problem

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZXR 750 TOP CLAMP BAR MOUNT SPACERS.jpg   ZXR 750 RISERS ON.jpg  
    Last edited by NINJAINOZ; 25-09-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Reason:

RevHead
    i did a similar thing on my old 1100w worked fine,the risers never moved ,just use loc-tite

Weekend Warrior
    The risers come with lock nuts fitted so they wont go anywhere but a dab of loctite when it is all finished couldnt hurt either

RevHead
    too true

Weekend Warrior
    Ater getting it partly stripped down I decided to see if I could get the motor running better, Well I knew for certain I could it was just a matter of how

Did the basics first, Fresh fuel & oil, Changed the plugs & cleaned the air filter, It ran a bit better but I knew I would have to attack the carby's so after cleaning them & refitting I decided to get another set of carby's, I picked up a set for $50 incl postage, Bit of a gamble buying online but I was very happy when I received them apart from the fact that some dimwit must have used a breaker bar to do up all the screws but luckily I now had 2 sets of carby's so the drill fixed that

I checked & cleaned the newer set of carby's & fitted them, It is running way better now but I will be going to larger pilot & main jets soon

Looking at the exhaust I found that someone had modified it & basically chopped it around the footpeg & welded a clamp fitting setup & made a link pipe up to fit some kind of muffler probably due to the stock one being damaged?

I decided to start fresh with the exhaust & get a set of Delkevic headers & a Danmoto muffler, I know the Delkevic headers are made to EOM specs with stock size tubing but they do not have the perforated tubing inside the pipe after the collector like the stock headers have so these will certainly flow a bit better, + I like the fact that they are stainless, A big thanks to Delkevic Australia / planetmoto.com.au
    The Headers arrived a few hours after the Danmoto muffler so that was damn good timing
    With the Danmoto ZX9R muffler sitting in place I found it would only be a matter of welding one little piece of flared 2-1/4" pipe where the link pipe joins to the headers, This will correct the slightly (tiny) different angle

With the wheels & other bits & pieces polished up (Or shiny I should say?> http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...Polishing-RIMs... ) & the headers & muffler sitting in place it is really starting to get there

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZXR 750 DELKEVIC HEADERS & DANMOTO MUFFLER.jpg  

ASF Premium Full Member
    Thats coming along nicley mate

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah its in the early stages yet but it is actually going a bit quicker than I expected for my first fighter build

Need to paint the radiator & get it back together & see what the new exhaust system sounds like?

Weekend Warrior
    Well done mate. I love my ZXRs. Get an adjustable timing rotor and advance the timing by 5 degrees. It makes a noticeable difference. You just have to run premium fuel.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Mr.ZXR, Who makes the adjustable rotors? Which one do you use?

I run premium in everything except my lawn mower

Weekend Warrior
    I have been sick for the last few days so I have not been able to get anything done really except ordering bits n pieces, I have the radiator back on so I might get it fired up this arvo if all goes well

I spose I will have to go for a Factory pro advance rotor setup?>
    http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodk77.html

Considering Muzzy dont list the rotors it looks like they do not make the ZXR 750 91 - 95 ( Also ZX9 94-97 ) adjustable rotors anymore?
    http://www.muzzys.com/advancer/index.html

From what I have found it is part number MZ-128>
    http://www.easyriderimports.com.au/pdf/muz05kaw.pdf

Any other options?

EDIT:
    Just found these> RPM117B
    http://zxzone.com/shiftrevadv.html

CARBY JETTING

I have read that taking the pilot jets up from #38 to #40 & the main jets from 170 (outers) & 190 (inners) to 180 & 200 is pretty much a standard upgrade to make sure it is not running too lean which I think is the case, The same with just about any stock bike usually

I did not want to (Or refuse to) pay $10 - almost $20 as I was quoted for a single jet here in OZ & I am happy to wait for some jets to arrive from any part of the world (preferably USA) so I have been searching around for pilot & main jets that are reasonably priced, We all know that something so tiny is not worth what we pay here in Australia, We pay too much for way too many things here

With other bikes I have shopped around before & found various jets for around $5ea (+ postage) but did a little bit better again this time

I have ordered a total of 8 genuine Keihin jets ( 4x #40 N242-25B pilot jets & 2x 180 & 2x 200 99101-393 main jets ) all for just under $40 incl postage which is pretty damn good considering I would be paying around $80 for the same thing here

Thought I would share a bargain with ya's, Just about any Keihin & Mikuni jets are available>

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/th...s/1/Categories
    Last edited by NINJAINOZ; 09-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    I just bought a set of jet drills , and make my own.

I use a fella in Melboure for my jets will find his details reasonably priced and quick.
    I looked and could not find an adjustable rotor for the 7 seems they have stopped production. You can still get the fixed 2,4,6,advanced I think from memory
    Anyways looks good
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Looking good mate.
    Ladies and Gentelmen, take my advise. "Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.zxr View Post
    Well done mate. I love my ZXRs. Get an adjustable timing rotor and advance the timing by 5 degrees. It makes a noticeable difference. You just have to run premium fuel.
    Sorry about the thread hijack

Mr ZXR - tell me more of this - can you do this on the 9 engine? And what are the gains? Where do i get one?

Cheers, Jed

Weekend Warrior
    No worries Jed, From what I have found the ZXR 750 & 94-97 ZX9 use the exact same ignition rotor setups

Checking OEM part numbers gives you the answer, You will find lotsa different parts that are interchangeable between different models>
    http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...GNITION-SYSTEM

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...rts/21007-1222

I received my Renthal ultralight front sprocket & AFAM rear sprocket (together from one seller) + my new EK MVXZ 520 chain turned up also today (from elsewhere in the USA), Good timing again, Only major issue was I thought the AFAM sprocket was black but it is actually dark grey so I will have to change that, Going to need a new set of sprocket/wheel damper rubbers too
    I weighed the new 520 chain & sprockets so I will have to weigh old 530 chain & sprockets & see what the difference is?

I need to get stuck into the wiring & get it all shortened & tucked outta the way, I got a flock of different sized heat shrink today so I can get started on that

Weekend Warrior
    I got the new 520 chain & sprockets on, Just checked the weight of the old 530 chain & sprockets, Im only using bathroom scales so they are not real accurate, The new 520 chain & sprockets weigh 2.7kg & the old 530 chain & sprockets weigh 4.3kg, A bit more difference than what I thought there would be, Im hoping to drop 20kg+ off the total stock weight, Should not be too hard the way its going
    Last edited by NINJAINOZ; 26-09-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    I received a couple of new engine parts today, I will slowly collect bits n pieces here & there when they pop up cheap & eventually I will have enough parts to start an engine rebuild, Would be nice to get a spare motor & rebuild it then just swap them over

Got a new timing chain ( 92057-1323 ) & the long timing chain guide ( 12053-1282 )
    I picked up the exhaust rocker shaft ( 12020-1066 ) brand new for $20 incl postage, Probably worth $150+ here in Australia?

Also fitted a new motion pro throttle cable today, The old one was a bit how ya going, I have ridden a bike home years ago after the throttle cable snapped, Had to wind the idle screw in and just putt home, Made for a nice slow ride home

Getting closer to having it all back together & ready to hit the road, Just going to concentrate on the bits I need now to get it on the road & reliable (& safe), I want it to all be spot on before I even think about going for a blue slip, Going to have to find someone who is reasonable too?

Need to chase up a fender eliminator style number plate mount, Fit some LED blinkers & make my own extension for now to get through the blue slip

Weekend Warrior
    I received 4 (E-mark) longer style LED blinkers today, Paid $28 including postage, They will do to get started

I tracked down the fender eliminator that will bolt on to the 2 bolts under the taillight (they are 140mm / 5.5" apart C-C), A nice little setup to fit the number plate & the blinkers + it is coated black, For $15 including postage its a pretty damn good deal>

Only need a few little odds & ends now & its pretty well sorted, For now I might just pinch my brand new Trailtech Vapor speedo / tacho (with the dash setup blinker etc lights already fitted) that is currently sitting on another bike
    Last edited by NINJAINOZ; 30-09-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast