Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Harris rebuild on Isle Of Harris

Weekend Warrior
    Isle Of Harris, Scotland, United Kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    Do you imagine cyborg Lobo giving you a blow job when you ride the bandit?
    Funnily enough no. Besides my cock aint long enough to reach that far up tank. lol

Weekend Warrior
    Made these oil cooler line guides which bolt to old frame fairing points. Better than zip ties and in keeping with rest of bike. –

Ran out of things to do at this point pretty much as needed fairing to progress forwards but didn’t have the cash for it.

Got a bit of smoked lexan for the new clutch cover and had a go at engraving it with cheap dremmel copy and £3 ebay engraving bits. Not too bad for a first attempt. Kind of gives away the paintwork theme but then anyone that knows my mad max addiction would have guessed it was coming anyway. Lol. Not going for a straight goose replica though, more of an endurance racing team theme with a mad max tie in. Racing scheme with some photographic airbrush work in one band. Subtle compared to my turbo bandit build, but then anything would be compared to that. –

Even engraved on the oil level marks as the whole clutch cover is windowed now. –

Just waiting for a 16mm bit of alloy plate from Yantosh to make the spacer plate out of and can finish it off. –

Finally got spare cash for the fairing (not screen yet though) and it was on 15% off sale so grabbed it. Arrived in one piece from Germany too. I was like a wee kid at xmas. Everything balanced roughly in position. So excited…

Then camea lot of evenings of alloy fabrication once again. Combined fairing bracket, battery tray and headlight mount. Overkill maybe but a lot of weight at a fair distance from the headstock mounting points. –

Bolted down. –

Curved section comes round tacho in middle of bars then a couple of stainless stays outwards to fairing. Got them at an angle so that once on the bike all you can see is the couple mm of thickness so nearly invisible when riding. –

Couple stainless brackets at rear edges to tuck it in and real nice fit to frame rails and round forks, etc. –

Going to have a carbon fibre dashboard tucked inside with the oil temp/pressure gauges and idiot lights sunk into it. The screen is going to be smoked like the clutch cover. –

Where I’m up to. All bolted up tight bodywork wise. –

Going to start repairing fibreglass on the seat unit and prepping up the panels. I’ll get the screen ordered and drilled/fitted also at somepoint so can move on with paintwork in between work paintwork.

Apart from clutch cover its basically paint and electrics now.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    As per usual Jon absolutely gobsmacking. Your attention to detail puts most of us to shame but for me your innovative ideas are the hall mark of this build.Absolutely stonking bike.

Blog Entries
    Not to mention that rad photo of you on the bike. That made me smile. Brilliant mate.

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers guys. Enjoying the build for sure and it's turning out better than I expected in all honesty as taken my time and done things right. Doing the turbo bandit thing gave me a good confidence boost to use.

Weekend Warrior
    Another busy few weeks here working on the bike every evening and weekend.

Got my wife and a passing courier driver to give me a hand lowering the bike down the ramp off the workbench and onto solid ground at last. Felt GREAT to sit on it properly at last. –

Was on a high till came out next day and found out the billet brake reservoir had leaked all over the frame damaging the paint/clearcoat. On my list to touch up. –

Changed the reservoir to a normal one with billet shroud, etc but tbh I’m still not happy with the brake lever feel. Got offered a fancy GSXR1000 radial mastercylinder off a friend so going to get that on instead. Should firm up the lever feel substantially compared to the tiny bore of the old one. Bit more up to the job.

Been battling with the bodywork every evening/weekend for last couple of weeks. Taken several days just to get the 2-3 mm of rattlecan paint off the parts using thinners, scraper and a power washer. Nightmare!

Tank needed bit of fillerwork for a few small dings and re-shaping welds, etc. –

Seat unit was another matter. Gelcoat stress cracks, etc everywhere! Is 35-40 years old though so a bit worn out like me. Lol.

For the cracks I used a dremmel to grind down into the seat unit along them. –

Then I filled it all back in with fibreglass resin. –

I also reinforced the back of the panel in the damaged areas to give a bit more strength and filled in behind the side mounting holes, etc too. –

A hell of a lot of hours filling/sanding/filling/sanding, etc and all panels as good as new. Refitted them to the bike today and got busy with the fineline tape marking things out. –

Aiming for something similar to this mockup. I’ve omitted the small silver stripe below the blue section now, but pretty much the same. Classic endurance racer meets Mad Max. –

Up the centre of the tank will be some very small scale B&W artwork of moive stills in a movie reel style layout. –

Going to take me 3-4 weeks to work through the artwork, etc as up to my eyeballs with work spraying as always. I’ll chip away at it one panel at a time though in my evenings/weekends.

Unbelievable. Jon, once again you have knocked it out of the park. Well done.

Blog Entries
    Love the pics lol but love the bike in bike with green lines
    Your a machine old boy

Blog Entries
    Fuck you're good with that striping tape mate! I spent years trying to get that shit right. You've nailed it. It almost looks like some kind of TRON bike with just the black and green stripes. If I had half your skills I'd be a happy shopper.

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers guys. Going to take me several weeks of evenings to work through the paintwork as up to eyeballs with work stuff. Reckon it'll work out cool though.

I love the black and green look!! lol
    I wish i had a 10th of the skills you do....

speechless , top stuff , more we demand more

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    I'm not so sure about how close The Toecutter's open mouth will be to your crotch...

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hyofighter View Post
    speechless , top stuff , more we demand more
    Put first few teaser pics of paintwork up on my personal facebook page and business page last night if that desperate. Search `pitstop paint` on facebook and you'll find em. I'll do a proper forum update when got more to show.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GammaBoy View Post
    I'm not so sure about how close The Toecutter's open mouth will be to your crotch...
    Sure I'll live. lol. Photo layout might not be like that anyway tbh. I've chosen the stills I'm using and spraying them on in order they appear in movie from front of bike to rear.

Weekend Warrior
    Made a start on paintwork. Bit limited with airbrushing at that scale as faces are same size as my thumbprint. Worked out not bad on the detailing though considering the tiny scale. Wanted to challenge myself with the scale though and see what was possible. –

Heavy metallic silver (almost flake), pearls blue and metallic hint over the red/black too. -

Headlamps sprayed up too. Wiring soldered/heatshrinked inside, etc. Couple of carbon fibre lens protectors made up n sprayed with harris logo to match fairing. –

Bolted the bits on this afternoon. Screen balanced in place for now. Waiting on a hole reamer coming in mail to enlarge fairing holes a few mm and then I can get the screen drilled and bolted down. Got some big silver `MFP` decals coming in mail for screen too. –

Tank has silver on and a few coats of clear. Be sanding that back and getting the artwork done on the tank over next week or so. Going to get some wire and a battery ordered up too this week as got some of electrics parts here already such as blue LED dash gauges, idiot light led’s, etc. Can start hooking things up in evenings if get a chance.

Blog Entries
    fuck looks horn

love it , top work man

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    If I had half your skills I'd be a happy shopper.
    Saved typing it again.

That's just nuts Jon. I'm just blown away mate. Top job

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast