Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandit 1200 Wiring Help Needed..

Blog Entries

Bandit 1200 Wiring Help Needed..

Ok so after I reacquired the Bandit and went for one ride and after 1 wash it decided to not work anymore..

I have an Acewell 3853 Dash connected which has was working fine, the bike ran/started/idled fine..

Then after wash the Acewell had ZERO power, I figured flat battery so a recharge and plug in later the Acewell clock was functioning but when I turned the ignition key NOTHING..

I then took panels/tank off to reveal a rather chopped up nasty wiring harness so save any other issues I bought another one of ebay along with the left and right switchgear off the same bike.

Today I unplugged all of the old harness fed it back through the bike and put it on floor, I then plugged new harness in and still nothing so I need to know a few things as I'm stupid at this stuff..

1. This plug was not connected to anything on old harness so I didn't connect the new harness to anything either its not labelled anything on the wiring diagram but it does lead back to the ignition fuse in the fuse box, so this has me concerned. anyone shed some light on this??

2. I have both left and right switchgear plugged in and also the ignition key but NOT the gauges, my question is when wiring is sorted will bike fire without gauges plugged in?? The R1 WILL but I need to know if the Bandit will as I have to rewire the acewell in and am more worried about the bike starting so far..

3. Where the hell is the neutral switch on the bike?? I unplugged the old harness and plugged in in the new one mere minutes apart and I cant locate the Neutral switch plug on the bike side..

I'm going to guess and say these things are why the bike wont fire but I'd like to know if problem 1 plugs into anything and how i can fix problem 3 when I can't find the plug it goes into..

any help would be awesome..

Cheers.

RevHead
    i know youve prob had a look but heres a link for you Todd
    http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...000gsf1200.png

RevHead
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96-2000gsf1200.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	2289
    if you look to the bottom near were the clutch switch is in the diagram you will see the plug just there and were it runs to
    the plug for the neutral switch should go to the clutch switch ,so you cant start it in gear.
    Last edited by RevHead; 19-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    Bet you could do with a laminated colour wiring diagram about now?
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    It will start without the instruments plugged in. I'd be checking/shorting the clutch and side stand switches to start.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    The mysterious plug is probably for the carb warmer type thing they have in the UK. They never bothered to remove it from the wiring for the Aus models.

That or its for the fuel guage which plugs in under the tank on the righthand side.

Blog Entries
    Cheers guys keep suggestions coming..

Yep Pete I've traced it on my wiring diagram and the OY AND BW connector goes to a dead end on the diagram and I'm going with Dan's info on that one as the bike functioned perfectly with it not plugged into anything on the old harness..

Lol Dylan one of the first things I bought was the same wiring diagram from kojaykat.

Dick do you mean short them out of the circuit? do I just join some wires for that?? any idea which ones if thats the case??

Dan I reckon your right with the mysterious plug, but my wiring Diagram is of UK/Euro spec and has been spot on about everything and that plug is a dead end even on the diagram so I'm hoping your right, the fuel gauge plug is a few inches back in the harness but yep same location..

Blog Entries
    Oh as for the neutral switch on the wiring diagram its 2 plugs, 1 is just the blue one which comes from behind the sprocket cover and the second one is the plug with the BR/G wires which go to the CDI I just can't find that plug which comes from the bike to that one??? wtf.. and I can't remember if I had unplugged it on the old one even though it was minutes before..

Has anyone heard of or had any issues with the key ignition?? before I changed the harness over just turning the key did nothing, which made me think that it was the issue..

RevHead
    if you have an air blower ,blow out the igintion and the very bottom switching part of it at the bottom ,just in case water got into it.

Bryn had issues with bandit ignition switch and I have seen it b4.
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Your TL one should plug in.
    Last edited by oldskool; 19-08-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah mate just join the two wires for both together. That will effectively tell the ignition circuit that the stand is up and the clutch is in.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    BTW if you do this, make sure the bike is in neutral before you hit the starter button!

ASF Standard Full Member
    I'm going ignition switch on this one. As Dylan said, I spent hours scratching my head trying to find the electrickry leak and it was a fubar ignition switch DOH !!! Stole one from Deano's stash, plugged it in and happy days.
    :cool: Oblivious !!

Blog Entries
    I bloody hope so Bryn I have a new ignition and keys on the way, fingers crossed hey..

Blog Entries
    Stupid me, just realised there is an Aussie wiring diagram in the Oem Manual.. the first pic aove is an option switch we don't have like Dan said and the 2nd plug for the neutral switch is not hooked up for Australia only the blue one is required. So process of elimination it HAS to be the ignition switch or its time to get someone who knows what they are doin lol..

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Can you just short out the old switch to see if it sorts the issue while you wait for the new one to arrive ?

Blog Entries
    I'm not that cluey with the whole electronics thing Red, just bare basics plus the new switch should be here in a day or 2..

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Your flash laminated diagram will prob have the wires to short to activate the switch mate. But if you can wait alls good, i'd be getting a bit twitchy by now and be shorting shit out for a look see.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Cant remember the last time I washed a bike, years ago.
    Mine only get large amounts of WD40 and Furniture polish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast