Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My long termer Z650

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Drill tap add later...

ASF Gold Full Member
    I added a piece to the base, so the reg/rec is still at the right-hand side, at the bottom of the sidepanel, so should get some airflow too.

And the battery box now slides into place, and it sits in position like this...

... with the reg/rec in place.
    And from the other side, with the Dyna 2000 held in place temporarily with some tie wraps. It'll be either o-rings of rubber bands cut from inner tubes that hold it when finished.
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    There you go! All sorted. Nice one.

Blog Entries
    I'd leave the zip ties :-)

ASF Gold Full Member
    With an aftermarket oil cooler set to replace the standard one, I had a root through my cooler stash in the cupboard, and set to making up some brackets.

I'm going to mount the oil cooler off the two reflector mounts on the front frame down tubes, using rubber mounts like these bobbins, which were a nightmare to find, and chuffin' expensive too. Anyone know where they can be found cheap?

As you can see from the above pic, I'd got some stainless steel tube to make the spacers, it just needed cutting down...

And I made up a couple of 'ears' to hold the rubber mounts, that would need to be welded onto the cooler bracket.

Like this -
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    And then the bracket could have a bit taken out of the middle to make it look nicer...

And tried in place to see if it fitted okay...

Seems okay, wonder what it looks like with the cooler added?

Hmmm, might take a bit more off the upper mount to be able to run the oil lines a bit neater, but I think it's getting there?
    www.flat-out.com

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    are you also going to make lower mounts for the oil cooler mate? btw neat design, made me re think my own variants, i had 2 options, 1 is fix the oil cooler to the frame with U mounts which is simplier but uglier than option ii - welding ears straight to the i.c.'s lower tank. so im choosing var ii. maybe i'll also fab a V shaped lower mount from an ally or stainless steel rod, smth like 8mm od. i mean the top of the V would be fixed to the center of the lower panel of the oil cooler and the rays of the bloody V rod (lol) would be fixed to the engine's upper mounts, hopefully you get what i mean otherwise you will be able to see it in a while...
    im talkin about my b12 this time fuck all those bikes haha!
    ps have a lot of those rubber bushings of different types, some of oem intercoolers and oil coolers mutulated by me, some of side panel mounts etc, would throw em to you but itd be a mighty big throw
    Last edited by Surt; 07-02-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    I like that

ASF Gold Full Member
    Surt - nah, just hanging off the two top mounts, like the standard GPz cooler. Although will probably add a rubber 'bumper' to the frame down tube for the bottom of the cooler to rest against, a bit like the cooler on a Bandit.
    www.flat-out.com

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    got it, i'll see if i have to add lower mount when i finish the upper ones. usually i judge by eye and feel lol

Blog Entries
    Very tidy. How's the gap between the headers and cooler? Another deceptive photo?

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yes Si, another deceptive pic... it's close, but there is clearance. I wanted to have the cooler as low as I could so that it wouldn't interfere (as much) with the steering lock.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    So, a mere ten months later, ahem.
    This is just a bit of advance warning - I wouldn't want you getting all shocked and hyperventilating - but I've done some more stuff on the Zed. Pics uploading right now...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Sweeeeeeeeet.......

Blog Entries
    Uploading where?? You tease.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Haha, onto Botophucket...
    Although as I've been doing various jobs on various parts - exhaust, inlet manifold, engine breather tank, rear light mount etc - nothing has actually been properly finished, so this is going to end up looking really random unless I group the pics together when each part is completed...
    And no, that's not an excuse. Honest.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    I finished one thing though. A retaining strap for the battery.

Although, now I think about it, that's not finished as I may add a rubber 'bumper' into the middle of it, just to hold the battery a tad more securely...
    I fettled the battery box a bit as well, and it now slides into position a bit more easily, and has a nicer profile.
    And that big white thing at the bottom of the pic is a horn that I'm using - originally intended for boat use. It's quite loud...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Boat horn; now that should cause some looks. Yea, I'd be adding more rubber than you think to that battery box as well. I did everything hard mounted when I first made the big changes and have slowly had to replace everything over the years. Even the old GXSR standard box has a hard felt like liner around the top to stop the battery moving or vibrating too much.

More photos vicar....

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    boat horn sounds awesome, you just need a nice foggy day !!

ASF Gold Full Member
    I'd made a stainless steel flange (fnarr) for the Rajay turbo outlet ages ago, so it was high time that I did something with it.
    With a 90 degree stainless bend, with one leg shortened, it was squeezed into the flange like so.

And you can see some cut-down stainless bends on the bench as well, which got tacked together...

And then bolted back on to see if they looked something like...

I'm going to slash cut the exit, although I'm still not 100% sure about it. I'm going to make another, baffled, pipe that runs to the rear of the bike that I can use when the bike is MoT tested and also if I ever decide to take it on track (either at a noise-limited run-what-ya-brung, or a track day might be fun...)
    www.flat-out.com

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast