Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My long termer Z650

ASF Gold Full Member
    This lot is probably going to be reworked too, partly as there's an additional oil tank to be fitted somwehere, and partly because I'm thinking of using a small battery...
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    I gotta find a way to tidy up the top yoke - I don't really like the risers, although they suit the bike as a whole, and I need to get the clocks sorted - the boost gauge replaces the standard speedo, and the standard cable driven rev counter is replaced by an SPA all-singing all-dancing rev counter / speedo / idiot light jobbie.

The button that I've fitted into the redundant right-hand indicator warning light is the button to scroll through the display on the clocks.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    And the catseye rear light seen here is going to be replaced by an SV650 rear light, which fits really neatly under the Z650 'ducktail' unit.
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    I reckon that top yoke could do with a lick of colour mate. The weld looks pretty chunky and will be tamed by the paint, plus the tank being polished needs either the yoke polished or painted (refer to the former!). That battery box does take up a lot of real estate hey?

ASF Gold Full Member
    The yokes may get powder-coated, but that's a decision that can wait awhile, plenty to do before then...

With the old, standard, engine pulled out, the new, trick, engine was slipped into place...
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    You might, just, be able to make out that there's a bit of head work been done here...

www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    How close are those shocks to the rear tyre?

ASF Gold Full Member
    That pic is deceptive Si - the wheel isn't centred (that's the next job), there's actually plenty of room
    www.flat-out.com

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    just a spot of porting lol what size valves did u use ?

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    just a spot of porting lol what size valves did u use ?
    big fucking ones !!!!

any chance of some pics of the swinger ???

ASF Gold Full Member
    I promised that I'd post some pics of how the Zed has evolved since I got it, and I found the pics last night and got them scanned today...
    As it was when I bought it... bog standard import from the States, original exhaust, single front disc, horrid rear mudguard etc.

It didn't stay standard for long. Started taking the horrid bits off the day I got it. Managed to find a twin disc front conversion from a shop in Stoke-on-Trent. The 650B1 had a factory option twin disc, so I had to get the second disc and caliper, which was theoretically dead easy as the Z1 had the same deal. Except the Z1 disc was slightly different (thicker, if I remember rightly), so took a bit of finding to get the right disc. The exhaust went in place of a Harris Works Performance 4-into-1, the hooge rear mudguard went and a new little number plate and dinky indicators fitted. Oh, and a horrid tool roll...

Stayed like that for a year, went to the Isle of Man TT etc, and picked up a few more bits. The spoked wheels went becuase I got fed up of twatting by fingers cleaning them, so found a pair of three spoke CMW alloy wheels. I'd also had enough of the marginal braking, even with the twin disc arrangement, so took a trip to see Sweary Bob at Spondon for a pair of discs and some plates to take the GSX-R four pot calipers. New springs and oil in the forks, some Raask rearsets, a ZXR master cylinder and a pair of drag bars.

It stayed like that for a while, while I was searching for a GPz750 turbo engine. I couldn't find one, and was going to settle for a ZXR750 front end, new swinging arm and 750 back wheel, but then found a cheap GPz1100 Unitrak engine... Took a while to get all the bits, the Z1000J carbs, get the top yoke risers welded on, and wait for the swinging arm (and wait, and wait, and wait). Finally got it all together, with new engine mounts and braced frame by Big 4 Engineering. Fitted some engine bars (don't know why, it seemed like a good idea at the time). New shocks built specifically for this bike by Maxton. Massive exhaust silencer on some aftermarket headers that needed loads of work as they were full of dents and scuffs.

The Martek swinging arm wasn't finished as I'd asked, and I had to modify the frame so it'd work. But it was lovely in this incarnation, pulled wheelies from tickover, really stable handling too. Made a smidge over 100bhp, if I remember rightly (got the dyno sheet somewhere), and was huge fun until it chewed up the alternator. It was then parked up while I hunted for an new alternator, but then got made redundant and went travelling for three months.
    It was while I was in Daytona for Bike Week that I met Terry Kizer, and a plan started...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Now THAT'S what I call a post! Nice one Dave.

I searched high and low for a photo of my old Z650 when it was matt black and played with, but instead, all I can find is me looking like a tool sat on it in it's original condition when I got it. Thsi would be around '92 I think:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Man 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	2342

Not the best shot I think you'll agree, but it had the same symptoms you mentioned (except it already had the twin disk set up).

Blog Entries
    Correction, I just found a small photo of it after I leant it to a mate for a year to look after. I came back to find the side panels missing and it held together with gaffer tape. I left the UK after that and never saw it again anyway. Wish I had it now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old_Z.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	2343

that 650 has come a long way , and a nice bit of work has gone into it , will be checking in to see where this one goes , good luck with it

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post

Not the best shot I think you'll agree, ).
    When all I can see is a red X, then yes, I agree! :-)
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    When all I can see is a red X, then yes, I agree! :-)
    You know, it's pretty lame when the bloke who runs the site can't even put a photo in his post correctly isn't it?

I fixed it, dug a hole, and now I'm going to sit in it and think about what I've done...

nice white hitops mate

ASF Gold Full Member
    :-) we all wore white basketball boots in them days Watto!
    So yours was a later model Si, with the rear disc. I was always paranoid about the sidepanels, as a mate had his nicked when he was at the TT, so I lock-wired mine...
    www.flat-out.com

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    So how long have you had the zed for Dave?
    You had to tilt the tank a fair bit, for motor clearance?

Here is a few pics of mine

Last edited by evad; 24-08-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast