Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My long termer Z650

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    argghh its covered up, we want photos !!!

ASF Gold Full Member
    Sorry Simo, but there's not really anything new to see... I gotta get all that clutter sorted so I've got room to actually reach the bike before I can do anything...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Is that inside the house now?

ASF Gold Full Member
    Not really. It's a lean-to brick built bit at the bac of the house. Probably originally a coal store or outdoor crapper. Small. No heating. But a carpet...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Mmmm. Carpet.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Long time no post.
    Because long time no work.
    But getting back to it as time is running out between now and the TT...
    So, after losing various parts in a house move last October, I did manage to find some bits that I thought were lost. Only now I come to actually start putting things back together I realise that I have lost more than I have found. Arse.
    In the re-attachment of parts I have discovered that there is no way that the oil feed and return pipes to the electic Shurflo oil pump that feeds the turbo will fit if the pump is mounted above the swinging arm pivot. SO that is getting relocated to under the sump. It won't look as nice or as neat, but it solves a problem and gives me plenty of room to fit the fuel pump and have a nice clear return run for the oil drain from the turbo. No pics just now, but some soon.
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Can you not make the pipes longer so you can keep the pump there? Or is this one of those things where I need to see photos to understand properly?
    So she'll be done for May then yea? ....only 8 weeks........ parts missing...... Carpet though.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Unfortunately it's not a matter of making the pipes longer, it's a matter of the fittings (to and from the turbo and the pump and the oil tank) being too big to actually get everything in place...
    I found some of the missing parts today, after a 280 mile round trip to look for them. So fingers crossed.
    And I have discovered that the carpet is a good place to sit, head in hands, wondering whether 8 weeks is long enough...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    You can do it mate!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    keep at it mate this thing is gonna be awesome when complete

ASF Gold Full Member
    Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey...
    Boost gauge plumbed in today, with the clock cover having to be modified to allow the boost pipe to fit through, but done with a rubber grommet around the hole so it doesn't chafe (good word that, 'chafe').
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Spacer found for behind rear of drive sprocket as the sprocket was wobbling around by itself even after nut was tightened.
    Clutch actuation gubbins found and fitted, and then taken off as it was working - process repeated several times to no avail so I walked away before I started threatening it with the Big Hammer. I'll have to go back to that today...
    Small steps, but steps nonetheless.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Rear brake fluid reservoir fitted - well, one of those HRC hoses, not ideal, but neater than a remote reservoir like the ZXR master originally had, and it was cheap too...
    Fuel pump half-fitted, fittings in with PTFE tape so things are now going back together properly rather than just being bolted in place.
    But I can't find the rubber mounts for the tail unit, or the fuel tap...
    www.flat-out.com

MDM, this is great with all the updates, but where are all the pictures bud lol you know us lot like pictures ;-)
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Blog Entries
    I'm digging the progress though. The TT is in sight for the Zed!

ASF Gold Full Member
    No pics at the moment as my phone seems to want to take every picture with a hazy, romantic misty glow... but going to get the proper camera out at some point.
    It's got to be in one piece for this weekend as it'll be on the Worldwide Bomber stand at the Kickback Show near Coventry...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Definitely need some photos from there!

ASF Gold Full Member
    If it gets there.
    It's fighting me all the way...
    Chain fitted, no problem. Rear wheel aligned and tightened up and...

... the chain is hitting the swinging arm brace! Okay, so it's only just kissing it, but it's enough that I'll need to take the grinder to the lovely shiny swinger...

And when the spindle is tightened the rear wheel is nipping up. Not sure why this could be, first off I thought it was the caliper hanger pushing against the 'arm, but I tweaked the torque arm so the hanger hung clear, and still the same. I'll have a closer look when I take the wheel out to sort the 'arm. A bit odd as it was fine six months ago before I moved house...

Front brakes bled and they're binding on. Initially I thought it was the aftermarket lever not allowing the master cylinder piston to return fully, but it was the same with the standard lever. So it's either (both) calipers sticking, or the master cylinder sticking... deep joy.
    Last edited by MDM; 31-03-2017 at 05:16 AM.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    As a thought - the calipers are ThunderAce 'bluespots' running on cast iron discs that're rather thicker than the usual modern sports bike discs, and there's not much clearance even when the pistons are pushed right back into their bores - a possible problem, or not?
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    I whipped the calipers off and cleaned up around the pistons - one wasn't rising out of its bore, and all were pretty smeggy, although not scored or rusty or bubbled. Cleaned up they still stick, although nowhere near as badly, I reckon it's just the one caliper now, but I didn't get time to check. I'll do that tonight / tomorrow.
    I also found another issue, one that is best shown with a picture, and I'll try and get some pics uploaded tonight... But right now I'm going to treat myself to a pint or two of vodka & coke...
    www.flat-out.com

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast