Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My long termer Z650

ASF Gold Full Member
    Nah, stay out of your cage Si, you're more entertaining when you're running free...
    Besides, I always like a second opinion on stuff, and it's always handy to have someone looking over your shoulder and checking things, as the dog isn't particularly au fait with building motorcycles... ;-)
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Ages ago I mentioned the issues with the rear brake, in that the disc is quite small, and I was struggling to find a caliper hanger that I could use / butcher to suit.
    After being pointed in the direction of an RG500 hanger, I bought one and, lo and behold, it has the right dimensions for the cast iron disc on the Dymag wheel, although the RG spindle was somewhat smaller than the 25mm spindle in my Martek swinging arm. Fortunately, the RG hanger has (or rather, had) a steel bushing that could be drifted out.

As I'm using a Bandit rear caliper, with the built-in torque arm mount, I didn't need the mount on the caliper hanger, so that was lopped off.
    After waving the measuring stick around the back end, I had some measurements and asked a mate (thanks Sam!) to make up a new bushing, beautifully made in stainless steel and pressed into place (once the bush had spent a night in the freezer and the hanger a morning in the oven)

And that was all fine and dandy, hanger fitted to the bike and caliper bolted into place. Except that when the caliper bolts were nipped up...

Yep, the upper edge of the caliper is fouling on the hub of the Dymag. Buggeration.
    You can see on this pic that I'd already ground off a bit of the caliper to try and get clearance, but more is required...
    So I ground some more off, perhaps getting a bit gung ho in the process...

Piss flaps. That's the piston seal peeping out. On the plus side, there seems to be plenty of clearance to the hub, so I had taken too much meat off the caliper. I've another Bandit caliper on its way, so I can try again, this time being a bit more delicate with the grinder.
    www.flat-out.com

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    I just finished setting up a set of dymags with Daytona disk on Honda centers
    I feel your pain lol love it

Blog Entries
    This is like watching a TV show. Great posts mate. I can just see you face when you saw the piston seal poking out. I have pulled that same face MANY times.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    This is like watching a TV show....
    Hmm, I could take that one of two ways. Is it like a TV show such as The Q Series, The Young Ones, The Fast Show or Reeves & Mortimer, then that makes me happy. If, however, it's along the lines of an soap opera or X Factor then I'll be making a face angrier than the one pulled when I saw that caliper seal...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    I don't actually watch TV any more (true fact), so I only recognise the old shows, so defo one of them (although Young Ones would be a special day in the shed).

ASF Gold Full Member
    Watch out for Young Ones quotes when I get a good day in the shed... ;-)
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yeah, I know, I've not posted for ages, but whaddya goin do about it?...
    I've got an excuse though, I've got no pics as I dropped my phone in the pond. I was trying to photograph five frogs sitting in a line...
    I'll have some pics up next week hopefully, but in the mean time I have made some coil mounts, modified the battery box, made mounts for the oil and fuel pumps, fannied about with another rear caliper, and got the bodywork sent away for paint.
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Shit mate, sounds like it's almost coming to riding time!

As for frogs and pond phones, well that's just madness.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Shit mate, sounds like it's almost coming to riding time!
    Shouldn't be long, still got wiring to sort out (giving that to a grown up to do) and the hydraulics (brakes and oil lines) plus powder-coat, paint on engine etc, frame welding on shock mounts and for chain clearance, polishing of the bare alloy etc... And I'm flat out (ahem) with work at the moment as well so getting panicky about it being done for the TT...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    being done for the TT...
    Now that seems like a big call after nothing for 15 years and then deadlines. You can do it mate!

ASF Gold Full Member
    In further MDM IT Fuck-ups, I appeared to have mislaid some of the BotoPhuckit pics... I'll try and resolve that at some point. Maybe.
    Anyways, fings what I have got done...

The breather tank, still needing fittings welded in but now has had the bottom reworked so the tyre doesn't hit:-

And the caliper hanger has its new bushing pressed in place.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    The bracket for the oil pump was welded onto the upper rear engine mount -

So it sits like this -
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    ... actually, no it doesn't, I swapped it round to give more clearance between the pump (fittings) and the chain, like dis -

And some more stuff that I did, but I've not got the pics off m y new phone yet. Ahem.
    Oh, and it's been re-wired. Not by me, but by a man versed in the dark art of electrickery, who manages to cut and join wires without the magic smoke coming out.
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Shit yea! That's 3 things nailed in two posts (as opposed to 2 things getting nailed in 3 years as it was before). You'll be riding it next, - how mad will that be?

ASF Gold Full Member
    Ride it? Is that what it's for?...

Bracket for the fuel pump (if I decide to use it) added to the battery box.

www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Should introduce the video hey?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Top job all involved

ASF Gold Full Member
    Cheers Si - huge thanks to Boxer for putting that together! ;-)
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Instead of the standard 'breather tower' sat on the top of the crankcases, I had a flat plate one that I didn't really like, and wanted to use the Z1000 style, like this:-

But, due to the Rajay turbo, there wasn't room for it, it needed to be at kleast 20mm shorter. So I cut a bit out...

Yeah, I removed a bit more than 20mm. Your point is?... :-)
    And then I TiG'd the two bits back together and cleaned up the bloody awful welds. It was bloody awful stuff to weld, not that that is any excuse for my pitiful welding skills.

And this is it bolted into place atop the cases, with the junk plate one beside it. I'll be putting a fitting into it for a breather hose next week...
    www.flat-out.com

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast